Is this kindl the dug's boz then? I couldn't imagine reading an entire book on a screen, do you not get headaches and irritable eyes?

It uses e-ink and it's meant to be better for your eyes than using a computer screen. More like paper apparently. I couldn't comment though, i've never used one for longer than a few minutes to say if it does or doesn't give you a sore head.

You read those books yet Phoen? :tommy:

Fit aboot your home help doctor, has he read Dirac?

No tup but they are high on the agenda. Did you see Gregor Fisher on the 'Hour' the other night? Has pit on mair beef I wid say and wisnae affa interesting.

I'll get the Dirac aff ma Doctor fan am next nae weel and fan I finish reading his Fermat's Last Theorem.....which is educational wi'oot being a hale lorra fun. It's why I'm taking so long.

Ah'm nae forgettin'. :)

No tup but they are high on the agenda. Did you see Gregor Fisher on the 'Hour' the other night? Has pit on mair beef I wid say and wisnae affa interesting.

I'll get the Dirac aff ma Doctor fan am next nae weel and fan I finish reading his Fermat's Last Theorem.....which is educational wi'oot being a hale lorra fun. It's why I'm taking so long.

Ah'm nae forgettin'. :)

Dinna make yersel nae weel on my behalf, I've got limitless patience.

Luckily Fisher never wrote the book, and indeed Pattison comes across far better there than he ever did in screen portrayal, as mildly funny as it was at times.

yes

no sore heads at all (and im susceptible to them when using a screen for too long)

its absolutely revolutionary, honestly

This is where we need daytripping, he could advertise the Kindle, sing it's praises, whilst holding a genuine pair of recently cropped dogs bollocks in his other hand.

This would be marketing gold.

It's a tool for learning , there's no doubt in my mind about that. If you are a Luddite , you may choose to ignore.

If I gave you one Harcus , would you refuse ? ;)

There's a 'freebie' doing the rounds , a pen drive with 4GB of Kindle books on it( from Dickens to Dawkins and Hitchins )....that's a library in your pocket alone.

is it revolutionary?

being able to store thousands of books on an item smaller and lighter than 1 book?

being able to read reviews of similar books to the ones youve just finished and then download and have to read in less than 10 seconds?

yeah, for those 2 reasons alone id say it is

it's difficult to say though, the Kindle is basically a collection of other ideas that have been going around for ages and bundled them into one.

But the best things are sometimes that way!

well, yeah, so its revolutionary!

the battery life is insanely good. if you try reading on an i-product for as long as i am per day, you'll be charging every night

boom

Ebooks have been around for decades

Ebook readers have been around long before Kindle

Tablets have been around long before Kindle.

BOOKS have been around long before kindle.

The revolutionary thing about it I suppose is the sheer volume of available books and the fact its easier than ever to get one onto your reader.

• 4 weeks later...

Blood Brotherhoods: The Rise of the Italian Mafias.

Immense reading.

bloodbrotherhoods_dropshadow.png

John Dickie

A' that male bonding - fuck aff ! Bond wi' me or I'll blaw ye awa !

Trying to keep up with the trends as you do...and if I hivnae mentioned it afore.....I'm reading Haruki Murakami so as not to feel left oot.

And ye ken this? He's quite good. Especially if lying awake after a session of N.R.E.M sleep whilst waiting for your R.E.M. sleep to kick in.

As suggested last , I'm reading this:

A' that male bonding - fuck aff ! Bond wi' me or I'll blaw ye awa !

Trying to keep up with the trends as you do...and if I hivnae mentioned it afore.....I'm reading Haruki Murakami so as not to feel left oot.

And ye ken this? He's quite good. Especially if lying awake after a session of N.R.E.M sleep whilst waiting for your R.E.M. sleep to kick in.

As suggested last , I'm reading this:

Have the read the first two books prior to that one?

Cheapest I've seen Pinball on Amazon is 30 notes going upwards to 200.

Fuck that.

I think I find myself in a similar boat to MT. Have never really been a reader of fiction until I was bought a copy of 'A Tale Etched In Blood and Hard Black Pencil' by Chris Brookmyre. I took the stupid opinion that fiction was a 'waste of time' or an 'indulgence'. Utter nonsense thinking on my part I finally realise.

I have since rattled through 6 of his books but am aware that it's going to be a short lived thing if I can't find other authors who engage me in the same way.

So... what other books are the Chris Brookmyre fans on here into?

Also, 'sliding down the bannister by R. Stornoway' that's a reference to 'The Stornoway Way' Pheonix :sheepdance: ... Good read that! Forget the author's name.

I think I find myself in a similar boat to MT. Have never really been a reader of fiction until I was bought a copy of 'A Tale Etched In Blood and Hard Black Pencil' by Chris Brookmyre. I took the stupid opinion that fiction was a 'waste of time' or an 'indulgence'. Utter nonsense thinking on my part I finally realise.

I have since rattled through 6 of his books but am aware that it's going to be a short lived thing if I can't find other authors who engage me in the same way.

So... what other books are the Chris Brookmyre fans on here into?

Also, 'sliding down the bannister by R. Stornoway' that's a reference to 'The Stornoway Way' Pheonix :sheepdance: ... Good read that! Forget the author's name.

Niall Stikinoot?

Try the Jo Nesbo books.

Excellent stuff.

The Snowman and The Leopard both worthy of special mention.

Alternatively if it's fiction you're into I'd try "The Bible" first. :tommy:

Niall Stikinoot?

Try the Jo Nesbo books.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers Pheonix. I've found his website:

http://www.jonesbo.co.uk/

Looks up my street so will definitely check one of his books out. Bought another Brookmyre today 'Not The End of The World'.

Niall Stikinoot?

Try the Jo Nesbo books.

Excellent stuff.

Looks up my street so will definitely check one of his books out. Bought another Brookmyre today 'Not The End of The World'.

Phoenix told me to say your welcome. :rolleyes:

The books are great reading. :thumbs:

:laughing:

Let me finish. Phoenix told me to say your welcome............. to Boofon Manor has been cancelled due to you getting his name wrang. :P

Aye I have read them. Fucking magic.

Nice one. And the spelling of phoenix I will get right next time..

P H O E N I X.

Memorised now!

Sounds in my head like 'fo-en-ix'. It's a spelling that's counter-intuitive Will overcome it though!

I read "The Redbreast" recently, took a while to get into the book and initially it was a bit of a slog but at one point the book started to flow better and ended up a good read, often find this with translated books that the pace is often awkward.

Going to read the next book in the series Nemesis once I'v finished the books I'm reading at the moment.

I read "The Redbreast" recently, took a while to get into the book and initially it was a bit of a slog but at one point the book started to flow better and ended up a good read, often find this with translated books that the pace is often awkward.

Going to read the next book in the series Nemesis once I'v finished the books I'm reading at the moment.

Ken fit you mean about 'the flow' , monkey.

But is it the mind.....or the book that flows ?

Ken fit you mean about 'the flow' , monkey.

But is it the mind.....or the book that flows ?

And who's mind? The author, the reader or the translator? :itch-chin:

I always attribute it to me taking time to adjust to the style of a particular languages literature, often if reading a number of texts in succession it's just the first one that stutters to begin with and after that the remaining ones are more fluid.

So I think that places the blame at my feet but I'll re-evaluate that after I've read "Nemesis."