Amateur/junior Football

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies if I have asked this before. Been reading the Scotland v Belgium thread and thinking about how our game is pretty fucked.

What days do amateur leagues play in the areas where you folks are?

In Edinburgh and Lothians there are Saturday and Sunday leagues. However, I see more and more teams falling by the way side. Generally I think that's down to guys having less commitment these days, other things they'd rather be doing. Fair enough with work and family stuff but when you compete against days out, playing golf etc then it's a fucking pain.

I think amateur football should be trialled as a Friday night thing. I think you'd see more commitment and even get back more of the social side after the games. Boys would know they still had the full weekend to do stuff and be more inclined to keep playing.

Moving the amateur game wouldn't solve the problems of why we don't produce too many top class young players anymore, but as a general point we need to be thinking how we fix the game at every level here.

What also doesn't help is the way the game is being run. Our Amateur system in general is stuck in the dark ages. The SAFA are guilty of overpolicing the game, but the AAFA definitely does itself no favours either. The game is so heavily policed that teams don't want to deal with the politics. Any criticism of the association (constructive or not) is met with a suspension, regardless of the validity.

When you factor in the costs per season along with the woeful municipal pitches and facilities,it's no wonder that people can't be bothered. 

Another issue we currently face, and this is arguably the most important, is that the AAFA still operates a paper-based system. Even the juveniles up here are using an online system that allows them to register players and do teamsheets online. Other amateur associations in Scotland are using it, and the AAFA has the best part of £40k in the bank (Non-profit, allegedly) that should be used for a scenario such as this. Moving online infinitely reduces the risk of administration errors, errors which almost always result in a fine and points deduction for the club.

I really hope the AAFA and SAFA get their shit together soon as at the rate teams are folding and leagues are merging, we are at risk of losing an entire generation of players. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

AFC have decided that when any of their 2007 development squad players get binned, they insist (or as much as they are allowed to anyway) that these binned players go to East End Lewis, so that they can keep a collective eye on them and monitor their progress. 

Which has resulted in that team winning everything in sight for the last 3 or so years, as they have snaffled up all the other decent players from the other youth teams.

Yesterday, they got beat by Dyce, and I for one am fucking delighted.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

AFC have decided that when any of their 2007 development squad players get binned, they insist (or as much as they are allowed to anyway) that these binned players go to East End Lewis, so that they can keep a collective eye on them and monitor their progress. 

Which has resulted in that team winning everything in sight for the last 3 or so years, as they have snaffled up all the other decent players from the other youth teams.

Yesterday, they got beat by Dyce, and I for one am fucking delighted.

Dyce equally as bad if you ask me. Folding any team that doesnt look like it will compete to win the A league. Arseholes. 

1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

Dyce equally as bad if you ask me. Folding any team that doesnt look like it will compete to win the A league. Arseholes. 

Aye, that's a fair point.

Funny thing was, my loon's team humped Dyce twice last season and I reckon they were on the verge of folding that particular age group, but all of a sudden, they retooled and are looking very strong this season. I have no idea where they have sourced these new players from because as I said, East End Lewis snaffle up the best of the rest; case in point, they lured away our our striker 2 weeks ago.

Maybe it's just better coaching?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was approached about coaching one of my kids team a few months ago. Good to say after all the rigmarole of getting the proper qualifications needed (what an absolute farce) your’s truly will now go on and win the league with my well trained players. No mucking about, we will be a fast, attacking and aggressive team. Move over Kjetil Knutsen!