Amateur/junior Football

3 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I was approached about coaching one of my kids team a few months ago. Good to say after all the rigmarole of getting the proper qualifications needed (what an absolute farce) your’s truly will now go on and win the league with my well trained players. No mucking about, we will be a fast, attacking and aggressive team. Move over Kjetil Knutsen!

You are entering a world of pain my friend.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KenDodd'sDad said:

I know. Been taking them for coaching for quite a few weeks now and seeing the difference between those who put in full effort and those who just want to be with their friends. They are definitely coming on a lot better though. I was doing free kicks with them last week and a few really surprised me. I had to do a first aid course through the SFA even though I already had a qualification. I have already been told to not shout a referee’s etc ? but I believe if we play the way they are taught we don’t need to worry about refereeing.

4 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I was approached about coaching one of my kids team a few months ago. Good to say after all the rigmarole of getting the proper qualifications needed (what an absolute farce) your’s truly will now go on and win the league with my well trained players. No mucking about, we will be a fast, attacking and aggressive team. Move over Kjetil Knutsen!

45 minutes ago, KenDodd'sDad said:

^ This

Been there, done that and while we went into it with high hopes, confidence and ambition it turned into a fucking shit show after a few years.

Kids on the whole were excellent, parents were the #1 issue - dad's coaching from the side lines (but not wanting to get involved with the actual coaching), parents getting pissed off when little Johnny is a sub, parenting cliques, parents telling you 5 mins prior to kick off that their child can no longer play etc etc. And don't get me started on the ADJFA, YSFA paperwork etc.

9 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Best of luck . I am sure you will get on with the kids. On their level after all.

The fathers maybe not so much .

44 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Best of luck . I am sure you will get on with the kids. On their level after all.

The fathers maybe not so much .

? i get on with anyone. I wonder when the rule, letting the parents at the pitch side will be brought back into play. For some reason if kids are playing on a bit surrounded by a fence, barrier etc the parents have to stay behind the obstacles. Only coaching staff allowed at pitch side. What a farce! I don’t mind a bit banter back and forth with the spectators. What has modern football turned into? I will start the mind games with the refs and opponents as soon as I see them. Bring it on.

22 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

^ This

Been there, done that and while we went into it with high hopes, confidence and ambition it turned into a fucking shit show after a few years.

Kids on the whole were excellent, parents were the #1 issue - dad's coaching from the side lines (but not wanting to get involved with the actual coaching), parents getting pissed off when little Johnny is a sub, parenting cliques, parents telling you 5 mins prior to kick off that their child can no longer play etc etc. And don't get me started on the ADJFA, YSFA paperwork etc.

Agreed, kids are generally fine (at least until you get into the teens) but the parents and admin are a complete nightmare, never again.

• 3 months later...
Guest milne_afc
6 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

My Da used to go watch Sunnybank when they were top side....Are they still oot at Heatheryfold?

Think they folded after the youth coach was locked up for fiddling?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

The view from the terrace had a nice feature on dyce boys club last night.

This thread seemed as appropriate as any.

Saw it, Les was my coach... Still going strong.

Albeit as much as Les was sound, I preferred Abbey MacDonald. RIP. Legend.

• Upvote 2
On 4/1/2023 at 9:02 AM, patrick bateman said:

Were you in any of the photos ? 

I joined one of the teams the season after judging by the faces in one of the pictures (an affa amount of bowl cuts in the team (I didn't go down that route)).

So many faces that people will know from the pictures however.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 6:53 PM, patrick bateman said:

The view from the terrace had a nice feature on dyce boys club last night.

This thread seemed as appropriate as any.

Good watch. Must have started just before I left Dyce, but don't recall. Would've been good. Played for middlefield and sunnybank. Not having to travel, bonus. Well done to the men who stepped up. Know Allan King (my mum reminded me who he was). He used to take me and his son Steve to training and matches for select matches, not sure about boys clubs.