Latest Purchase Thread

Big Man

43 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

Any of you lot ever spent decent money on a BBQ? 

Seen some decent deals, half tempted to get one in preparation for summer/before they hike the prices 

Spent a decent amount on a smoker. 

What exactly are you looking to use it for? Gas or charcoal? 

This place used to be decent for the odd deal https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/ 

40 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Spent a decent amount on a smoker. 

What exactly are you looking to use it for? Gas or charcoal? 

This place used to be decent for the odd deal https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/ 

I like the look of the Masterbuilt Gravity fed ones. So charcoal, which is a bit of an all rounder. 

Cheapest is about £550 which is a wedge to spend on something I’ll potentially use once/twice a year 

40 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

I like the look of the Masterbuilt Gravity fed ones. So charcoal, which is a bit of an all rounder. 

Cheapest is about £550 which is a wedge to spend on something I’ll potentially use once/twice a year 

Yeah they look decent, I don't know that much about what is best value etc currently I bought my manual Weber Smokey Mountain about 8 years ago now. Heaps more choice these days. 

There's a Facebook group "CountryWoodSmoke" that used to be good, could probably find someone there with proper feedback. 

In terms of the price aye just depends how much you will use it, having the probe and control via wifi makes it a lot easier to do briskets etc and not have to stand by the grill all day so you might use it more. I have a meater thermometer that I use to monitor things, but I still need to manually adjust the vents. 

The good thing about smoking compared to BBQ is you can do it in pretty much any weather as it's all closed up, although with that Master built model you'd maybe need to shield the waiting coal stake with a bit of tinfoil to guard it fae rain. 

Have you done much smoking before or is it a new hobby?

1 hour ago, Redforever86 said:

Yeah they look decent, I don't know that much about what is best value etc currently I bought my manual Weber Smokey Mountain about 8 years ago now. Heaps more choice these days. 

There's a Facebook group "CountryWoodSmoke" that used to be good, could probably find someone there with proper feedback. 

In terms of the price aye just depends how much you will use it, having the probe and control via wifi makes it a lot easier to do briskets etc and not have to stand by the grill all day so you might use it more. I have a meater thermometer that I use to monitor things, but I still need to manually adjust the vents. 

The good thing about smoking compared to BBQ is you can do it in pretty much any weather as it's all closed up, although with that Master built model you'd maybe need to shield the waiting coal stake with a bit of tinfoil to guard it fae rain. 

Have you done much smoking before or is it a new hobby?

I’ve got a cheap version of the Webber kettle. Done ribs/pork belly etc etc but never bothered with bigger/thicker cuts of meat. BBQ is a bit fucked, too many gaps and fucked vents, temperature management is hard.  I need to invest in thermometers etc - at which point I’m thinking I may as well just spend money on something decent in the first place. 

Will have a scan of that group - essentially want something I can do standard family BBQs with or sit for 6-8 hours drinking while something is smoking then have something decent to eat at the end of it

Put some pics of your meat up next time you get it out 

:gay: 

26 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

I’ve got a cheap version of the Webber kettle. Done ribs/pork belly etc etc but never bothered with bigger/thicker cuts of meat.

If you are managing to do ok cooks on that, an offset smoker will be a game changer. Brisket and pork shoulder are great but I like the smaller cuts just as much. Even a smoked chicken is fucking ace, but Ribs etc are my favourite. 

27 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

BBQ is a bit fucked, too many gaps and fucked vents, temperature management is hard.  I need to invest in thermometers etc - at which point I’m thinking I may as well just spend money on something decent in the first place. 

Aye ken what you mean, easy hobby to throw money at. The Meater wifi thermometer really helped me, but if your current BBQ is fucked and nae really a smoker def worth investing. If you want a cheap option and ken any welders go old school and get them to cut up an oil drum, then just buy a wifi thermometer. 

27 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

Will have a scan of that group - essentially want something I can do standard family BBQs with or sit for 6-8 hours drinking while something is smoking then have something decent to eat at the end of it

They'll ken a lot more than me so worth a browse. 

Aye I'll put up some photos, actually cooking a big chunk of beef this weekend, now I want to smoke it but doubt it'd even fit in my smoker tbh. 

1 hour ago, Redforever86 said:

Charcoal, don't use it that much tbh, always busy in the summer. Started doing small sets of ribs sousvide more often. 

Thinking about getting a smoker to put inside my oven to use like a smoking cabinet, not quite the same but ease of use a lot better. 

Used to be a charcoal purist, but hours of trying to maintain temperature put paid to that. 

Switched to electric, and the results are way better, since temp is constant and you don't have to be dicking around trying to stay within temps every 30 minutes. 

Purists will look down their snoot at electric smokers, but the results and time-saving speak for themselves. 

Also... cheaper than the charcoal models

Worth trying.

Only caveat, in cold weather they struggle with hitting temperature. 

35 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Used to be a charcoal purist, but hours of trying to maintain temperature put paid to that. 

Switched to electric, and the results are way better, since temp is constant and you don't have to be dicking around trying to stay within temps every 30 minutes. 

I'm getting the VarioSmoker at some point. Have to use it in manual mode however due to having the small version of the oven. Still automatically maintains temps and humidity just nae smoke. 

13 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

I just picked up a Paul Smith jacket on sale  (and Carhartt shirt and Patagonia jacket also) 

Is Carhartt becoming popular in the UK?

I wear Carhartt to do all my manual shit up in the woods because it's hard-wearing workwear, it's definitely not considered a trendy brand here... got a text from someone in the UK a couple weeks back asking if I can supply it cheap for resale... which I can, oddly enough. Carhartt is a Dearborn company, so they have outlets here selling it chep as chips. 

1 hour ago, Bad_Mobby said:

A few times 

I must have missed them. 

Turns out I'm trendy as fuck, then... because about 50% of my gear is Carhartt. 

I'll wear my Calvin Klein shite to haul the wood up to the hoose now, save my chainsaw breeks and my steel-taed beets for going to swanky restaurants. 

"Table for two, Garcon!"

spacer.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, manboobs109 said:

A lot of poofs wear it over here Kelt, "bear chic" I think it's called.

One of the gay lads I knew, Gay Dave,  had a lad that was obviously one of them Bears you hear about. Fine as fuck loon, but you knew if he got angry he could crush your ribcage in those mighty arms of his. Gay Dave later dumped this Bear, and acquired a new lad.. who was also a Bear. Same deal... fine enough guy, but if he got furious with you you'd have to use fancy footwork to keep oot the grapple. This Bear you would have to tire out by always moving... then, when you know he's exhausted, move in and finish him. 

Gay Dave definitely had a type, though. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

Is Carhartt becoming popular in the UK?

I wear Carhartt to do all my manual shit up in the woods because it's hard-wearing workwear, it's definitely not considered a trendy brand here... got a text from someone in the UK a couple weeks back asking if I can supply it cheap for resale... which I can, oddly enough. Carhartt is a Dearborn company, so they have outlets here selling it chep as chips. 

You get the workwear here, but it's the carhartt WIP (work in progress) 'street wear' which is popular here.