Where Are They Now

16 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Kenneth McLean gives away a penalty in first 10 mins for Norwich v Crystal Palace. Impressed by the atmosphere at Selhurst Park - not sure what the capacity is there. 

Been there a few times and it is always a cracking atmosphere. Selhurst is very similar in size and layout to Pittodirie. But they nearly always have it sold out

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

No, I seriously think he bought him because he could (as others have said, usually having played well against us, once) without a clue how best to deploy him, who to play him with or in which position he could best complement what we already had.  And he was far from alone in that.

Still think he was a lazy feck with a piss poor attitude but that’s kind of what we pay managers and scouts to suss out for us.

So, to clarify, you think you know better than Derek McInnes?

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

No, I seriously think he bought him because he could (as others have said, usually having played well against us, once) without a clue how best to deploy him, who to play him with or in which position he could best complement what we already had.  And he was far from alone in that.

Did exactly the same with Maddison.

The stupid cunt.

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Did exactly the same with Maddison.

The stupid cunt.

Don’t buy that one. 

maddison was only 18 when he came up here and didn’t like getting tackled. He thought he was better than everyone… he was correct but it was a bad attitude to have. 

once Maddison was dropped from the starting 11 then eventually replaced with Christie, Aberdeen were the best I’ve ever seen them. We were absolutely battering teams. 

McInnes must have played Maddison on the wing a couple of times, wasn’t exactly doing it every week. He was mainly used as a number 10 when in the team. Quick look and you can see Hayes played 44 games that season and McGinn played 50. They were the top boys 

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don’t buy that one. 

maddison was only 18 when he came up here and didn’t like getting tackled. He thought he was better than everyone… he was correct but it was a bad attitude to have. 

once Maddison was dropped from the starting 11 then eventually replaced with Christie, Aberdeen were the best I’ve ever seen them. We were absolutely battering teams. 

McInnes must have played Maddison on the wing a couple of times, wasn’t exactly doing it every week. He was mainly used as a number 10 when in the team. Quick look and you can see Hayes played 44 games that season and McGinn played 50. They were the top boys 

Spot on min. Especially the myth that McInnes played Maddison on the wing which is just a lazy cliche perpetuated by the clueless.

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don’t buy that one. 

I know that.

It's not for sale. ?

Christie was born the year before Maddison.

I don't recall saying anything about the wing. 

Just referred to him being clueless in how to deploy him.

But for sure he was played there on many occasions.

Certainly as clear as day in the last game he started for us at Ross County about 20 feet away from our hospitality seats along side of the pitch.

He was stripped 18 times for us.

Only on 6 ocassions did he start in same team as McGinn & Hayes.

There are your possibilities for him having been deployed in no 10 role.

In his correct and most effective role. That's if he was actually played there on these occasions.

Any other time he started, either Hayes or McGinn did not. So he was 100% played wide in those games.

And I know Christie was a far better player for us. Also relevant to the above.

Nobody has stated that more than me.

Though how much of that was due to McInnes failure to deploy Maddison correctly is up for debate.

Or maybe not.

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

I know that.

It's not for sale. ?

Christie was born the year before Maddison.

I don't recall saying anything about the wing. 

Just referred to him being clueless in how to deploy him.

But for sure he was played there on many occasions.

Certainly as clear as day in the last game he started for us at Ross County about 20 feet away from our hospitality seats along side of the pitch.

He was stripped 18 times for us.

Only on 6 ocassions did he start in same team as McGinn & Hayes.

There are your possibilities for him having been deployed in no 10 role.

In his correct and most effective role. That's if he was actually played there on these occasions.

Any other time he started, either Hayes or McGinn did not. So he was 100% played wide in those games.

And I know Christie was a far better player for us. Also relevant to the above.

Nobody has stated that more than me.

Though how much of that was due to McInnes failure to deploy Maddison correctly is up for debate.

Or maybe not.

You make valid points MH. I guess it is up for debate. 

for me madisson just wasn’t ready. Scottish football was maybe even a bit harder than he expected and he couldn’t be arsed. Even before we signed Christie, we were a far better team when Maddison was on the bench. You see him now just breaking back into the Leicester team and wonder if his run of had form was due to thinking he’s made it and doesn’t need to try anymore. He’s a bit of a spice boy like. 

so it’s up for debate but I see where you are coming from, so no need to have one. I just don’t think he was mentally strong enough to contribute as well as he could. He was very clearly a very very good player though. He should have gone better no matter where he was deployed. 

absolutely unreal to think that in order to squeeze Maddison or Christie in we basically had to drop one of Hayes, mcginn, McLean, shinnie or jack. Now we are watching funso ojo start every week

• Haha 1

There is a rose tinted glasses and fond memories surrounding James Maddison.It is based around his spectacular winning goal against Rangers and how well he is doing now.He was up and down in a lot of his games for Aberdeen.His misplaced passes were explained away by saying nobody had the extraordinary vision, passing skills and insight and awareness he had, and our players were just not on his level.His legacy is that he is quoted forever as an example of the outstanding young talents you can find in the loan system.We have pursued such players for years now and signed countless duds.

20 minutes ago, graham said:

There is a rose tinted glasses and fond memories surrounding James Maddison.It is based around his spectacular winning goal against Rangers and how well he is doing now.He was up and down in a lot of his games for Aberdeen.His misplaced passes were explained away by saying nobody had the extraordinary vision, passing skills and insight and awareness he had, and our players were just not on his level.His legacy is that he is quoted forever as an example of the outstanding young talents you can find in the loan system.We have pursued such players for years now and signed countless duds.

Maddison is the most technically gifted player we have had in the last 10 years

It's not even up for debate G-Bomb

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Maddison is the most technically gifted player we have had in the last 10 years

It's not even up for debate G-Bomb

Most technically gifted player we've had since Jess. 

He was streets ahead of everyone else, even in what was a very good team. He probably was a bit too greedy and had an arrogance about him which maybe wouldn't have gone down too well with everyone in the dressing room - but we should have used him more often. I just remember being amazed at how the ball seemed glued to his feet, and that he was always wanting it even in tight situations - so different from the majority of players we see nowadays. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

He was streets ahead of everyone else, even in what was a very good team. He probably was a bit too greedy and had an arrogance about him which maybe wouldn't have gone down too well with everyone in the dressing room - but we should have used him more often. I just remember being amazed at how the ball seemed glued to his feet, and that he was always wanting it even in tight situations - so different from the majority of players we see nowadays. 

Sorry to burst your bubble bruv,  but Maddison is a better player than Jess and I'm not debating it

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Totally agree with you Maddison was technically brilliant but when he left I think second half of that season when christie signed I think he was actually a better player for us. 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Sorry to burst your bubble bruv,  but Maddison is a better player than Jess and I'm not debating it

Ok I’ll bite ?No he wasn’t Jess at 19 was better than Maddison at 19 for us 

1 minute ago, thurso said:

Totally agree with you Maddison was technically brilliant but when he left I think second half of that season when christie signed I think he was actually a better player for us. 

Ok I’ll bite ?No he wasn’t Jess at 19 was better than Maddison at 19 for us 

I think the time at Aberdeen benefitted Maddison.

He’d have gone back to Norwich and been told by the coaches there that if he could handle the physicality in the game, he was going nowhere.

it will have spurred him on to do more on the ball and stay on his feet more

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

I think the time at Aberdeen benefitted Maddison.

He’d have gone back to Norwich and been told by the coaches there that if he could handle the physicality in the game, he was going nowhere.

it will have spurred him on to do more on the ball and stay on his feet more

Probably I think he went back to Norwich hardy played second half of that season but really kicked on season after that got him the move to leister