Where Are They Now

11 minutes ago, thurso said:

Totally agree with you Maddison was technically brilliant but when he left I think second half of that season when christie signed I think he was actually a better player for us. 

Ok I’ll bite ?No he wasn’t Jess at 19 was better than Maddison at 19 for us 

I always had a theory with Christie that if you’re 5’8 and chucked into Scottish premiership at 18 for a non cheek minnow you’ll know how to stay out of trouble.  That’s why he was more effective for us than Madison.  Madison strangely thought the referees would protect him.  Mug.

edit:  I’ve no idea what height he is, but he was always wee.

9 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I always had a theory with Christie that if you’re 5’8 and chucked into Scottish premiership at 18 for a non cheek minnow you’ll know how to stay out of trouble.  That’s why he was more effective for us than Madison.  Madison strangely thought the referees would protect him.  Mug.

edit:  I’ve no idea what height he is, but he was always wee.

Your right think Maddison thought he would get more protection. If he played for the arse cheeks he would of but plsying for Aberdeen he gets done for diving 

Madisson wouldnt have lasted half a season if he was breaking through in the late 80s like Eoin Jess!!

Jess would flourish in the non contact sport era. 

I don’t think anyone debates how gifted Maddison was. I’m not having it that his vision was too good for his team mates though, we aren’t talking about Bergkamp here. He was just a teenage loan player up in Scotland, i don’t think he was taking it seriously. His attitude wasn’t good enough, but he seemed to learn a lot on a personal level. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, thurso said:

Totally agree with you Maddison was technically brilliant but when he left I think second half of that season when christie signed I think he was actually a better player for us. 

Ok I’ll bite ?No he wasn’t Jess at 19 was better than Maddison at 19 for us 

This. Largely down to the fact that Jess was a first team regular in a competitive league and had a full season and two winners medals to his name at 19.

Edit to add, Jess even beats Maddison in goals against der Hun. Maddison's free kick was a peach, but Jess' take on the halfway line before beating the entire Hun defence and sticking it in the top corner at the Bastard Garden is one of my favourite AFC goals of all time. Plus Maddison's wasn't really against Rangers.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

This. Largely down to the fact that Jess was a first team regular in a competitive league and had a full season and two winners medals to his name at 19.

Edit to add, Jess even beats Maddison in goals against der Hun. Maddison's free kick was a peach, but Jess' take on the halfway line before beating the entire Hun defence and sticking it in the top corner at the Bastard Garden is one of my favourite AFC goals of all time. Plus Maddison's wasn't really against Rangers.

Mental that is the only time we have beaten sevco at pittodrie. 

must be in about 11 games?? 

3 hours ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

Goals against "rangers " dont remotely factor into my thinking , but I'm not surprised they do yours

5 hours ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

Out classing the much raved about Geordie minker also. 
Jess was up against far far better Rangers players than Maddison was with Sevco. 
Same rgds the other arse cheek sides on then & now. 

In a far far more physical/less protected era also. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Goals against "rangers " dont remotely factor into my thinking , but I'm not surprised they do yours

Nothing to do with goals against rangers. At 19 Jess was man of the match in a cup winning final against a really good rangers team. Maddison was anonymous in a cup final against a good Celtic team.

So I’d say Jess was better 

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Anyone who claims "footballers are role models" is an idiot. 

Footballers are like anyone else. If you're a shit parent and need to let footballers be role models to your kids, that's your issue. Footballers are there to play football, their hobbies are their own business. 

Unfortunately raping isn't what one would call a hobby 

On 12/31/2021 at 5:53 PM, thurso said:

Nothing to do with goals against rangers. At 19 Jess was man of the match in a cup winning final against a really good rangers team. Maddison was anonymous in a cup final against a good Celtic team.

So I’d say Jess was better 

I'm not going to get involved in this debate, but if you're referring to the cup final where the Celtic midfield took turns to bring him down every time he got the ball, then you're being harsh. Not one of them got booked either, if I remember correctly. 

3 hours ago, DD1903 said:

I'm not going to get involved in this debate, but if you're referring to the cup final where the Celtic midfield took turns to bring him down every time he got the ball, then you're being harsh. Not one of them got booked either, if I remember correctly. 

Maybe I am being harsh. Was at the game and never rewatched it cos we lost but from what I remember I thought the whole team was pretty toothless and he didn’t stand out at all 

8 hours ago, thurso said:

Maybe I am being harsh. Was at the game and never rewatched it cos we lost but from what I remember I thought the whole team was pretty toothless and he didn’t stand out at all 

We were pish that day, but they targeted Maddison the second he got the ball.