Where Are They Now

3 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Does anyone have the clicknological know how to link todays P&J article where Alex Smith is talking about how good Nicolas and Gilhaus were.

That’s not Nicolas in the photo is it?

Some partnership that if Nicholas had stayed just one more season we would have one the league that infamous campaign 

5 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Some partnership that if Nicholas had stayed just one more season we would have one the league that infamous campaign 

Probably yes but Nicholas was never staying with us any longer than he absolutely had to. Remember he asked for a transfer not much more than a year later...although to his credit he knuckled down and got on with things when it was refused.

Whether he ever REALLY wanted to be with us is open to debate. Wasn't getting a game at Arsenal and supposedly wanted to try his luck abroad. A fee was agreed with Toulon in France for his transfer but before it went through, George Graham suddenly blocked it. He then blocked him moving to 3 other English clubs....IIRC 2 of them were Newcastle and Forest...the third eludes me. By the time we came in for him (and even we jumped the gun, announcing it on Hogmanay when it didn't actually happen  for about a week later) I'm sure he was just desperate to leave for anywhere. 

31 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Probably yes but Nicholas was never staying with us any longer than he absolutely had to. Remember he asked for a transfer not much more than a year later...although to his credit he knuckled down and got on with things when it was refused.

Whether he ever REALLY wanted to be with us is open to debate. Wasn't getting a game at Arsenal and supposedly wanted to try his luck abroad. A fee was agreed with Toulon in France for his transfer but before it went through, George Graham suddenly blocked it. He then blocked him moving to 3 other English clubs....IIRC 2 of them were Newcastle and Forest...the third eludes me. By the time we came in for him (and even we jumped the gun, announcing it on Hogmanay when it didn't actually happen  for about a week later) I'm sure he was just desperate to leave for anywhere. 

I went to the Sky Sports presenters thing a few weeks ago at the Music Hall and he said as much. Totally honest he didn’t want to come here but when he did he gave his all so fair play to him for that.

• Dildo 1
50 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I went to the Sky Sports presenters thing a few weeks ago at the Music Hall and he said as much. Totally honest he didn’t want to come here but when he did he gave his all so fair play to him for that.

Must've enjoyed it enough. 2 medals pocketed.

Quite mental to think we were signing an Arsenal first team player, millions of miles from that now. 

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

I went to a Cove Christmas lunch thing at Ardoe House a few years back, where Nicholas was guest speaker. He was asked from the floor, when you strolled up to take your penalty v Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final in 1990, knowing you were going back there the following season, what was going thru your mind? Answer - my bonus. 
Great player but his career effectively ended when he initially left Celtic in 1983, never the same player again, in my opinion. Basically went thru the motions when at Aberdeen. 

10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I went to a Cove Christmas lunch thing at Ardoe House a few years back, where Nicholas was guest speaker. He was asked from the floor, when you strolled up to take your penalty v Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final in 1990, knowing you were going back there the following season, what was going thru your mind? Answer - my bonus. 
Great player but his career effectively ended when he initially left Celtic in 1983, never the same player again, in my opinion. Basically went thru the motions when at Aberdeen. 

Nae quite sure about that, Hans and him were possibly the best partnership I’ve seen live. Forgot to ask why he never used to come out for the warm up. Must have been a superstitious thing?

19 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Well he certainly chose the wrong club when he left Celtic. Had the chance to join Liverpool who were still at that time hoovering up domestic and European trophies and could have learnt from Dalglish who was by then in the latter part of his playing career. Arsenal were decent in the cup competitions but were also rans in the league at that time. Nicholas just wanted the party lifestyle in the bright lights of London. 

• Upvote 1