Change In The Rules

Please correct me if I am wrong but when did "head to head" scores overule goal difference? Greece went through yesterday even though Russia's goal difference was better?

Seems very stupid to me as I thought FIFA want to encourage attacking football i.e. scoring goals. Russia played well in the first two games and have nothing to show for it.

If Russia couldn't get out the shitest group ive ever seen in a major tourney then that got what they deserved.

They would have gone through if the rules hadn't been changed.

Thing that confused me was last night was that with Greece 1-0 up Russia were going to qualify first with Greece going through second. Cue Czech scoring and tgey go through top with Russia in third :wtf:

Thing that confused me was last night was that with Greece 1-0 up Russia were going to qualify first with Greece going through second. Cue Czech scoring and tgey go through top with Russia in third :wtf:

That confused me as well. Furthermore according to BBC World news if Denmark had won 2-1 against Germany - Germany would have been knocked out with Portgual beating Holland. Yet Portgual lost to Germany on a head to head. Can anyone explain this??????

Easily explained. Czechs drawing meant Greece, Czech and Russia all on 4 points so their combined goal difference for the games between them was the counting factor. Goals for and against Poland not counted.

Once Czechs scored they moved clear on 6 points meaning it was head to head with the two teams on 4 points.

Head to head is only if two teams are level on points. If 3 or more teams are tied then it's goal difference and goals scored that count first of all.