Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

They turned down Wood's money to build the design he wanted for UTG I thought? 

There will be private owners of buildings on union street of course, but I was more meaning the council need to come up with some sort of plan to help fill all the empty lots, reduce the amount of bookies/pound shops etc. 

From memory think Wood was only willing to put up funds if he could pretty much dictate how it was used ....which is fair enough.....but it was also fair enough for the Council to democratically reject his proposals.

As for your second paragraph , I’m sure the Council are open to suggestions. But Aberdeen isn’t the only city centre that looks grim these days which would suggest that the Council here isn’t the only one who haven’t found a magic formula to re-vitalise the place. 

And generally speaking the Council can’t stop the occupiers of privately owned commercial premises using them as bookies or pound shops if that’s how they want to use them. 

7 minutes ago, redone said:

From memory think Wood was only willing to put up funds if he could pretty much dictate how it was used ....which is fair enough.....but it was also fair enough for the Council to democratically reject his proposals.

As for your second paragraph , I’m sure the Council are open to suggestions. But Aberdeen isn’t the only city centre that looks grim these days which would suggest that the Council here isn’t the only one who haven’t found a magic formula to re-vitalise the place. 

And generally speaking the Council can’t stop the occupiers of privately owned commercial premises using them as bookies or pound shops if that’s how they want to use them. 

Was it fair for the Council to change a democratic vote by the people ?

Pretty sure the people voted in favour of Woods Scheme and the Council decided to reject it.

2 hours ago, Joe pike said:

Have you had a look into the gardens lately ?
It’s full of concrete paths and platforms.

Only difference is that the council would have saved(us) over 30 million if they had accepted his plan.

Bollocks - he was donating far less than half the cost of his hair brained vanity project, would have cost us far more.

The current upgrades going to look fine when it’s finished, the newly cleaned granite looks superb 

1 hour ago, Joe pike said:

Was it fair for the Council to change a democratic vote by the people ?

Pretty sure the people voted in favour of Woods Scheme and the Council decided to reject it.

Wrong again. The committee discarded the design which won the popular vote and went with the spiders web concrete carbuncle instead 

11 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

That’s what I said.

No you said the council changed a democratic vote by the people - they didn’t, they discarded the second choice after the committee led by that bam wood binned the favoured option (voted for by the public)

8 minutes ago, NEM said:

No you said the council changed a democratic vote by the people - they didn’t, they discarded the second choice after the committee led by that bam wood binned the favoured option (voted for by the public)

Granite WebEdit

The winning design Granite Web promised to make the gardens a 'new green and vibrant heart to Aberdeen with accessible gardens and parks and space for cultural and recreational activities'. It also aimed to connect different parts of the city and make the gardens more accessible by raising them out of the valley up to street level to connect with Union Street, Union Terrace, Rosemount Viaduct and Belmont Street. The garden design was split into 11 different sections including a new 5,000 seat, grass lawn outdoor performance space called 'The Forum', a tree lined avenue, lawn and flower garden. Also included was cultural centre in the centre of the gardens, modelled in the style of a butterfly. The roof covering was to be grass and this will be another place for people to access and use. The Granite Web plans also allowed an opportunity for new art in Aberdeen with two new sculptures to have been installed at two exit points from the garden onto Union Terrace — one from the Flower Garden and one from The Forum. The gardens also promised to plant 100 more trees — raising the number to 186 in the space, increase the percentage of space by 95%, a 250% increase in accessible space and a 65% increase in vegetation.[19]

32 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Granite WebEdit

The winning design Granite Web promised to make the gardens a 'new green and vibrant heart to Aberdeen with accessible gardens and parks and space for cultural and recreational activities'. It also aimed to connect different parts of the city and make the gardens more accessible by raising them out of the valley up to street level to connect with Union Street, Union Terrace, Rosemount Viaduct and Belmont Street. The garden design was split into 11 different sections including a new 5,000 seat, grass lawn outdoor performance space called 'The Forum', a tree lined avenue, lawn and flower garden. Also included was cultural centre in the centre of the gardens, modelled in the style of a butterfly. The roof covering was to be grass and this will be another place for people to access and use. The Granite Web plans also allowed an opportunity for new art in Aberdeen with two new sculptures to have been installed at two exit points from the garden onto Union Terrace — one from the Flower Garden and one from The Forum. The gardens also promised to plant 100 more trees — raising the number to 186 in the space, increase the percentage of space by 95%, a 250% increase in accessible space and a 65% increase in vegetation.[19]

The public voted on 6 designs, the top 2 then went forward to be decided upon by a committee. The granite web was second in the public vote 

38 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Granite WebEdit

@Matt Armstrong's Dog

This one's for you. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

Labour were voted in and then binned it all if I recall correctly. 

Anyway they are completely ruined with the view of that monstrosity that now dominates triple kirks. Until one day they hopefully knock it down. 

Seems to me that they should have concentrated on Union Street first instead of UTG, Broad Street, Marischall College, Triple Kirk's but hey ho. 

I just live in the fuckin' toon, what does any cooncil care about it's inhabitants? They didn't spare anything on the refurb on the aforementioned college for themselves did they?  Cunts.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Had a look into the Gardens lately Eddie?
Not a lot of greenery there.

Aye I've seen that they would have been best leaving as is .

I remember highland dancing and live Scottish bands performing during the summer .

With a couple of 100 chairs for folk to view the activity on the band stand .

There was even massive draughts squares on the ground on the upper level which I played myself was ace fun.

The ladies and gents toilets were from Victorian times they were historical .

They've also been disconnected I believe .

The council fkt up doing what they've done to the gardens .

7 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I remember highland dancing and live Scottish bands performing during the summer .

There was even massive draughts squares on the ground on the upper level which I played myself was ace fun.

35 million cost so far and rising.

43 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

the toilets are making a comeback aren’t they? need a local George Michael type