daytripping

Aberdeen City Centre

Canada's ace, I like Vancouver. Toronto seemed very 'American' if that makes sense. Still good mind you. Quebec City nice too.

Edited by Dynamo

There was a 50:50 chance you would know what I was referring to. Not a South Park fan I assume?

i've only watched relatively few episodes. my son was a fan.

but i'll google it :cheers:

Good lass. Never been to Canadia, quite fancy taking a trip over at some point. I'm kinda hoping work sends me over so i can make a holiday out of it and not have to pay for flights!

well, hopefully they send you somewhere half-way interesting for work. so there'll be plenty around to see and do for a holiday after. :thumbs: if not, Canada can be quite expensive to get around (we don't have discount airlines, and travelling by car can take a while, depending where you're headed).

Canada's ace, I like Vancouver. Toronto seemed very 'American' if that makes sense. Still good mind you. Quebec City nice too.

Canada's pretty different from end to end. Vancouver is lovely. Victoria very different from Vancouver, and only a ferry ride away. but some gorgeous islands and scenery. (did you get to Tofino when you were in Vancouver?) the prairies, while flat, have their upsides, lol. the Rockies are incredible. and make for a tremendous driving holiday through them and to the Pacific. Toronto as a city used to be really nice, and you're quite right.. it IS very large and American big-city feeling. my brother still lives there, so i'm there often enough, but it's not my favourite place in Canada. Montreal and Quebec City are lovely. as are the eastern townships around them.. some fabulous food and scenery. and the Atlantic provinces are just gorgeous. anyway, i rattled on longer than intended.. as i said, it varies significantly from end to end.

:offtopic: and now back to the regularly scheduled thread discussion.

Edited by looksgoodinred

None of the Beggars bother you? I must look an easy touch then, because I got hassled about 4 times just walking from bon accord to signature!

First a nutjob handing out homemade DVD's, then saying "I'm expecting a penny or 2 for this DVD" I dread to look at the DVD's contents. Secondly, a cunt saying he needs change for the bus, and worst of all, twice by those charity pricks.

I also saw Highlander cutting about beside Union square, for some reason I decided to take a photo from across the street - he wasnae best pleased.

Canada's pretty different from end to end. Vancouver is lovely. Victoria very different from Vancouver, and only a ferry ride away. but some gorgeous islands and scenery. (did you get to Tofino when you were in Vancouver?) the prairies, while flat, have their upsides, lol. the Rockies are incredible. and make for a tremendous driving holiday through them and to the Pacific. Toronto as a city used to be really nice, and you're quite right.. it IS very large and American big-city feeling. my brother still lives there, so i'm there often enough, but it's not my favourite place in Canada. Montreal and Quebec City are lovely. as are the eastern townships around them.. some fabulous food and scenery. and the Atlantic provinces are just gorgeous. anyway, i rattled on longer than intended.. as i said, it varies significantly from end to end.

Yea went to Victoria (and up to Whistler) when in VCR. All nice and the ferry ride is pretty scenic. Quebec was good, St Lawrence river was still frozen from winter so was cold, but I was skiing so that's good! Flew into Montreal but didn't see any of it.

Sorted himself out again, and back working now. Hopefully off the drugs aswell now. Used to have cracking job as draughtsman earning loads before.

I worked with him for a couple of months at an old Job. Couldnt believe my eyes when he approached me on Union St begging for money. Amazing how quickly someone can go off the rails.

Aberdeen has a beautiful centre. You only have to look at the recently refurbished Marischal College to see how amazing the city would have looked when the granite was fresh and new. That building is stunning after it has been cleaned up.

Problem is, nobody seems to have pride in keeping the buildings and city centre clean. Its a sin to see the mess of union street. They are a mess and have just been allowed to rot.

Places like union sq are making it very hard for union st to keep the major shops etc. Just hope it doesnt end up like George st.

Sorted himself out again, and back working now. Hopefully off the drugs as well now. Used to have cracking job as draughtsman earning loads before.

The old Roberto and his fabled cocaine addiction would do well to pay attention to this comment. :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

anne of green gables 1s from canada.

if she were real, she would be :-) Lucy Maud Montgomery was as well. real. and Canadian. :cheers:

if she were real, she would be :-) Lucy Maud Montgomery was as well. real. and Canadian. :cheers:

Avril Lavigne :spunk: :spunk: :spunk:

i've been to canada a few times, and mooses and bears just dinna live there.

its a myth.

you should try one of the bear watching tours next time you're here (if you're in BC). a friend does them annually and loves it. :thumbs:

http://www.bearviewing.ca/

None of the Beggars bother you? I must look an easy touch then, because I got hassled about 4 times just walking from bon accord to signature!

First a nutjob handing out homemade DVD's, then saying "I'm expecting a penny or 2 for this DVD" I dread to look at the DVD's contents. Secondly, a cunt saying he needs change for the bus, and worst of all, twice by those charity pricks.

I also saw Highlander cutting about beside Union square, for some reason I decided to take a photo from across the street - he wasnae best pleased.

Get the pic posted then. You didn't run the risk of being beheaded by his claymore for nothing.

As Requested:

ay0v0liceaipfho.jpg

Bear in mind this was about midday, when it was quite hot. The gadjee must have been sweltering!

• Upvote 1

As Requested:

ay0v0liceaipfho.jpg

Bear in mind this was about midday, when it was quite hot. The gadjee must have been sweltering!

Thats what you call taking one for the team . Highlander is a legend and will lead us to FREEDOM (or the brig o don ) .

Used to see him usually around the barracks area .

Generally the Aberdonian reaction to him is " Check at cunt !"

Anyone complaining about the toon centre at night needs a reality check , ALL toon centres are the same ! And we have all been there done that ! pished as fuck and nay giving a fuck . As lang as there was a chance o a chipper or a blow job we went hame happy ! Mind you it once took me 45 minutes to cross mounthooly when i was guttered , Mounthooly is the size o some villages , Carlsberg dont do roundabouts ............................................

Aberdeens alright. Remember it's a city of c200,000 people, it's nae London.

Now and again you always hear people say "oh it's a shit hole, wish I could leave", well what's stopping you? Please fuck off you miserable sod? Job? You'll get one elsewhere unless you're thick as shit.

There are worse places to live.

No wonder Union St has gone down hill, there's a big massive new shopping centre down at the Old Bus Station and you may have missed it but we're in the middle of a double dip recession, businesses going tits up and leaving empty units on main shopping streets!

Remember the old bus/train station and the area round about it? Now THAT was a shit hole, and now look at it.

Only time I ever venture to Union St is nights out now walking from bar to bar. Can't remember any bother.

Not quite a rant but honestly, if you want to leave no one is stopping you :thumbs:

well said that man. ace. if you don't like it, please fuck off you miserable wankers. it's these same wankers that are dragging the place down.

Anytime someone tries to get the place regenerated all these wankers from no where come out and are immediatly against it

Used to see highlander using the computers at Aberdeen college.

Shakie heid mannie was probably Aberdeen's most eccentric character. Was fascinating watching him going about, sad at the same time tho!

What about the radger that used to cut about the Schoolhill area in the 90's with a bag of glue over his face, is he still alive?

He was quite entertaining as he went about menacing posh university types.

Ah so that's where the name Unibond came from :hysterical:

I've noticed this when I have ventured in to the city centre in my lunch breaks or on days off. Guess there are a few things that cause the amount of people in town:

- Students

- Oil workers (rotations)

- Unemployed

- Pensioners

You forgot all the bloody immigrants

You forgot all the bloody immigrants

I am pretty sure that if there are loads of immigrants in Aberdeen during the day, they will fall under one of the four categories.

Used to see highlander using the computers at Aberdeen college.

Shakie heid mannie was probably Aberdeen's most eccentric character. Was fascinating watching him going about, sad at the same time tho!

I've never heard of this one before.

Get it telt Chaos min...

I've never heard of this one before.

Get it telt Chaos min...

Used to see him going about George Street late at night, always wearing a dress. Got the name from the way he walked. Not an attention seeker like the highlander.

There is a couple videos on youtube of shakie heed mannie.

Great that he's been immortalised. I only ever saw him once in a dress, was usually dressed "normally" when I saw him. That or naked in my bedroom.

Better not say that, there are maybe shakkie heid mannie descendants posting on here.

Edited by ChutneyLove

The old Roberto and his fabled cocaine addiction would do well to pay attention to this comment. :sherlock:

I'm no longer a draughtsman, stepped up in the world. I have a title of 'Designer' ;).

I've never touched cocaine, only marzipan glue when I was 12.

Had the misfortune of walking down george street on saturday......

We must have the most junkies per square foot than any other city in the north east, shambles.

One woman in particalur obviously a heroin addict falling about all over the shop screaming tommy? ( probably not our tommy mind)

Anyhow there should be some procedure in place for cleansing our great city of all these scumbags - its embarrasing to be seen within 10 yards of these creatures!

Edited by Stoney

I like seeing junkies, it shows me what my life will never be like.

Had the misfortune of walking down george street on saturday......

We must have the most junkies per square foot than any other city in the north east, shambles.

One woman in particalur obviously a heroin addict falling about all over the shop screaming tommy? ( probably not our tommy mind)

Anyhow there should be some procedure in place for cleansing our great city of all these scumbags - its embarrasing to be seen within 10 yards of these creatures!

You never know :laughing:

Not a big fan of George St must be said. Probably the worst area of the city centre.

I like seeing junkies, it shows me what my life will never be like.

Yes, thankfully you kicked your habit.

• Upvote 2