Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

Exactly.

"Right Mr Smith, everything looks fine here, but can you explain your lack of work for the past 18 months?

Yes, no problem, I've been begging folk on Union Street for change.

Errr... we'll be in touch."

How about instead of laying your hand on the table, instead explain why you lost your last job and tactically leave out the part of begging. Donations from friends sounds a lot better anyway.

Aye, fae 1995 till 2000, used to get warnings for swearing or fucking up on tills. But yeah, I worked there when SD was assistant manager, along wi his missus, JD. That boy wis such a fanny!

used to work in the upperkirkgate one in 97 for a while then got poached for the beach one,then ended up back a upperkirkgate

while having a cigar last weekend, i got talking to a tramp sitting by a bin

he told me the average money they get a day is 40 quid, which is usually way and above what he needs for a bed in the local euro hostel (15 quid)

i asked him much he'd made so far and he said a tenner, so feeling nice, i gave the guy a tenner and he went away to confirm his room for the night

karma and all that

What's the karma, that you might end up on the scrounge and biding in the eurohostel? Least you could sell the Capri and cigar collection before it comes to that.

Begging should be like continental Europe - you only get money if you've got an affliction. Some of these twats on Union Street need to start hacking off limbs or gouging out eyes before they're getting any of my hard earned.

Or like the yanks - Bumfights.

Let's see these worthless specimens fight each other to the death for their next square meal.

The boy on the Bagpipes that stands across the road from the Monkey House isn't great.

He looks like a nice chap though.

F**k sake, I know who you are on about now, totally forgot about him until last night when I was waiting at the red lights.

No wonder bagpipes get a bad rep when clowns like him are trying to play them. Bagpipes are brilliant if played properly, but they are terrible if not.

He was trying to play Highland Cathedral, which is my favourite pipe song, and it sounded horrendous.

There was Chinese people walking about covering their ears, almost in tears it was so bad. I just hope they don't think that's what bagpipes are meant to sound like.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

F**k sake, I know who you are on about now, totally forgot about him until last night when I was waiting at the red lights.

No wonder bagpipes get a bad rep when clowns like him are trying to play them. Bagpipes are brilliant if played properly, but they are terrible if not.

He was trying to play Highland Cathedral, which is my favourite pipe song, and it sounded horrendous.

There was Chinese people walking about covering their ears, almost in tears it was so bad. I just hope they don't think that's what bagpipes are meant to sound like.

Agreed.

They really got to move this guy on. He's an absolute disgrace to bagpiping, Scotland and himself. Fat wanker with his pish stained socks and trainers.

Sickens me that this cunt probably makes a decent amount when busking, given how dreadful he is. Also, the amount of people taking pictures of and with him is ridiculous. He is terrible. Practice somewhere else you sweaty fuck.

Agreed.

They really got to move this guy on. He's an absolute disgrace to bagpiping, Scotland and himself. Fat wanker with his pish stained socks and trainers.

Sickens me that this cunt probably makes a decent amount when busking, given how dreadful he is. Also, the amount of people taking pictures of and with him is ridiculous. He is terrible. Practice somewhere else you sweaty fuck.

When I was down in Edinburgh last weekend, there was a wee boy of about 12/13 playing the bagpipes outside Waverly absolutely raking it in off all the toursits, posing for photos and all sorts. All the while being watched by his very minky looking father. At least I hope it was his dad... :confused:

He must think this is Edinburgh and we want that sort of tourist crap. In saying that, i'd rather have a few wee tourist shops selling cheap kilts and tartan trash than the horrible pawn shops and "we buy gold" shops that we're saturated by at present.

100% agree. Union Street is just embarrassing

There was a homeless looking waste of space last time I was walking down Onion Street. He had a McDonalds coffee cup with change in it which was he was sticking in front of people and saying "any change Mister?"

When it was my turn, I helped myself to a few coins from his cup, thanked him and proceeded to go about my business.

was he one of your xs?

• 6 months later...
A 10-point plan has been drawn up to try to revive the fortunes of Aberdeen's Union Street.

The report by academics at Robert Gordon University suggested redeveloping existing eyesore buildings and encouraging more people to live on the street.

Union Street was once the city's main retail hub.

But it has become increasingly run down over the past 30 years as retailers moved away to large shopping centres.

Last year, proposals to regenerate Union Terrace Gardens were rejected on cost grounds.

The new plan was drawn up by a team led by Robert Gordon principal Professor Ferdinand von Prondzynski.

Its suggestions included reviewing the zoning of Union Street to include the prospect of returning parts to residential use, and redeveloping it to give prominence to pedestrian use, cyclists and public transport.

Planning mistakes from the past, such as the Market building on the Green and the Trinity Centre car park, should be redeveloped with high quality contemporary architecture and urban landscaping that contributes to the cityscape, improves connectivity, and conveys civic ambition and pride.

The report also advocates creating a new world class public facility that "celebrates our energy industries and their technological innovation, reinforces the international reputation and identity of the city, and serves as a powerful 'magnet' for Aberdeen."

Its authors conclude: "We are now at a critical moment in the city's history. Aberdeen has prospered as a result of its status as Europe's oil and gas capital, but it is clear that its economy needs to develop and evolve.

"A major requirement for the city will be to ensure that it attracts diverse, high value, knowledge intensive investment, and that it can successfully nurture economic and cultural creativity.

"This in turn requires a city with the capacity to let its facilities, atmosphere and amenities attract those with skills and talents to come here, and to nurture and inspire those already here.

"The city's regeneration is more than a programme to make it nicer: it is a programme to make it successful."

Professor von Prondzynski said Aberdeen had suffered in a similar way to other cities by not having a masterplan for development in recent decades.

He added: "You can see the quality of the buildings that were there originally (in Union Street) and the intelligence of the design that had been put into it.

"All of that has somewhat been lost because we've lost the connectivity between Union Street and other parts of the city, and then a lot of the shops have been sucked out by new shopping centres, and it doesn't now look what it should look like."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21699995

I have no problem with redeveloping Union Street, as i always thought that was the first thing that needed done, but when they wanted to do the CGP instead i fully backed that. But that got the bin and now as long as they have solid plans for regeneration of our failing street then i'm onboard. However i'm not sure about this trams talk i heard about today, as we've already seen the issues in Edinburgh

First thing I'd do is introduce standards to Union Street. Too many shops are like fucking market stalls at the Barras. Send some mean fucker up and down Union street as a matter of routine, and fine anyone who thinks it's cools to have a shop like a shithole.

Close off Union Street from Union Terrace to Market Street, rip up the road and plant trees, and stick in benches... oh, and some public amenities like bathrooms might be a radical fucking idea. Encourage things like Coffee Shops and restaurants in the new pedestrianised area, and actually make it into a civil center, rather than a traffic trap with a soap shop.

Shut all the shops in The Aberdeen Market, and turn it into something that doesn't look like the Ninth Circle of Minker Hell. My own personal preference would be Kelt's Fighteria... where kids pished on shandy and wine coolers can don a pair of boxing gloves and, for a couple of quid, smash the fuck out of one another without bothering people who just want to have a good time. They sign a waiver that absolves Kelt's Fighteria and the City of Aberdeen from any injuries up to and including vegetative state and death.

Retrain Grampian Police as Police Officers and educate them on their own jobs so that they know the law.