Aberdeen's Worst Xi

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

McCall wasn't that bad, bizarre to think he was still in our squad when we faced Bayern in '83 (although he was sold IIRC to a Hong Kong side a few weeks later). I'm sure I once read that Fergie signed him because he was Dougie Bell's brother in law and Bell had asked Fergie if he could train with us in pre-season as a favour. Impressed so much that Fergie offered him a deal.

If Tom Jones gets a mention, then so must Gary Hackett, signed that same summer by Porterfield.

Steve Ritchie was an abomination of a player but the comedy goal in the Cup Final made up for a lot of his shortcomings.

I'm going to throw in Gregg Watson. As a young loon he was touted as being the next Willie Miller. And so he was. That Willie Miller being the one that played right back for Hibs....

Did McCall play any games that season?

I could've looked this up myself tbh.

2 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Has Craig Bryson been mentioned? A stick on for CM if he could avoid injury for 2 minutes. 

He won't give a flying fuck with 2 medals in his hipper since we let him go. He'll have trousered enough at his time with Derby that he'll be comfortably off for life into the bargain

3 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Did McCall play any games that season?

I could've looked this up myself tbh.

I've just looked it up

He played the same number of games as Bryan Mitchell and Willie Falconer.

And one more than Ian Porteous and Bryan Gunn

Two appearances....

• Upvote 1

Mackie has to be among the worst. For the length of time he was at the club, with a something like 50+ goal return?  His only real asset, 'pace', got incrementally worse season on season, until I think his final season he turned up with a pot belly, by which point all pace had evaporated, his shots were no closer to hitting the net, and didn't we use him as a winger for a while?

Paul Kane, obviously. 

And any number of anonymous signings who came and went as cheap shirt-fillers on negligible wages. 

How we've never been relegated is a minor miracle, tbh. 

28 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Mackie has to be among the worst. For the length of time he was at the club, with a something like 50+ goal return?  His only real asset, 'pace', got incrementally worse season on season, until I think his final season he turned up with a pot belly, by which point all pace had evaporated, his shots were no closer to hitting the net, and didn't we use him as a winger for a while?

Paul Kane, obviously. 

And any number of anonymous signings who came and went as cheap shirt-fillers on negligible wages. 

How we've never been relegated is a minor miracle, tbh. 

Always remember Provan commentating on an Aberdeen v Celtic game on Sky when Mackie was just breaking into the team. He described him as a great prospect with Michael Owen pace ! Aye.

Those Twa Bulgarian fucks been mentioned yet ?

9 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Always remember Provan commentating on an Aberdeen v Celtic game on Sky when Mackie was just breaking into the team. He described him as a great prospect with Michael Owen pace ! Aye.

Those Twa Bulgarian fucks been mentioned yet ?

They were fucking terrible, Messrs. Tzvetanov and Kiriakov. 

They would definitely make the subs bench, at the very least.

1 minute ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Mitchell, Kombouare, Bates, and Gallagher are definitely up there with the worst of all-time defenders we've had. 

Remember first watching Toni Kombouare, we were all thinking he was operating on a level above the rest of the team, because fair enough he seemed like a guy that liked to play the ball out rather than just lump it forward. Problem was he was used to getting time on the ball, and there was no way that was happening in Scottish football, so he was perpetually getting closed down and panicking. 

Add to that he was slower than a Monday morning, AND he'd most likely lied about his age... 

We eventually realised he was on a different level, it just wasn't above.. 

9 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Remember first watching Toni Kombouare, we were all thinking he was operating on a level above the rest of the team, because fair enough he seemed like a guy that liked to play the ball out rather than just lump it forward. Problem was he was used to getting time on the ball, and there was no way that was happening in Scottish football, so he was perpetually getting closed down and panicking. 

Add to that he was slower than a Monday morning, AND he'd most likely lied about his age... 

We eventually realised he was on a different level, it just wasn't above.. 

Correct Ke1t min. His debut down at Stark's Park was purely a masquerade.

A man that played in a European Cup semi-final a couple of years previously as well, but that doesn't always equate to a decent individual player. 

15 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Cobian, Bus, Ifil, McQuilken, Tate, Ian Robertson, Solberg, Ryan McLaughlin, Steve Ritchie, Jared Hodgkiss, Javan Vidal…. Need any more? ?

Ooh ya fucker , that makes grim reading.   Top Trumps - Shit Player Edition.

Grassi and Vujodinovic (?) deserve a mention.

20 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Correct Ke1t min. His debut down at Stark's Park was purely a masquerade.

A man that played in a European Cup semi-final a couple of years previously as well, but that doesn't always equate to a decent individual player. 

Ally Dick played in a European cup final,