Is Anyone Else Slightly Worried.......

with how we have performed in this transfer window?

Personally I am very frustrated with how its played out so far. We won a cup, finished 3rd, qualified for Europe and we are struggling to significantly improve our squad.

Why did we not go for the ex hearts keeper McDonald? A proven top flight keeper? Instead we sign a guy who has been playing lower league football for his entire career.

Dundee Utd have strengthened their squad and if Clarkson re-signs for Motherwell I would say they have improved. Hearts in the championship have made better signings than us so far.

Not impressed thus far.

• Upvote 1

Personally I am very frustrated with how its played out so far. We won a cup, finished 3rd, qualified for Europe and we are struggling to significantly improve our squad.

Why did we not go for the ex hearts keeper McDonald? A proven top flight keeper? Instead we sign a guy who has been playing lower league football for his entire career.

Dundee Utd have strengthened their squad and if Clarkson re-signs for Motherwell I would say they have improved. Hearts in the championship have made better signings than us so far.

Not impressed thus far.

Traditionally we fuck around trying to get in our marquee signing, several weeks later he'll fuck off to some other team, and we either scramble for a pish replacement or start the season unprepared.

So far this year we've fucked around trying to get in our marquee signing, several weeks later he fucked off to some other team.... it's now a case of waiting to see if we scramble for a pish replacement or start the season unprepared.

I still have the warm and fuzzies remembering a defensive partnership of Duff and Young versus Sigma... that was splendid.... but it turned out in the end because later we would bring in Jerel Ifil as our defensive rock.

Having said that, McInnes did more than enough to warrant a break regarding his signing targets, so let's just wait and see what kind of side we field against Groningen.

If we're still struggling for a left back, a striker, and a keeper at that point then maybe we can start getting on his case.

with how we have performed in this transfer window? Personally I am very frustrated with how its played out so far. We won a cup, finished 3rd, qualified for Europe and we are struggling to significantly improve our squad. Why did we not go for the ex hearts keeper McDonald? A proven top flight keeper? Instead we sign a guy who has been playing lower league football for his entire career. Dundee Utd have strengthened their squad and if Clarkson re-signs for Motherwell I would say they have improved. Hearts in the championship have made better signings than us so far. Not impressed thus far.

Ok first off try to pick our best performance from last year? Remember the starting XI and you'll realise we can still field that XI.

So we are starting from a better position than any of the seasons in recent years for starters

We need a left back, we need a striker and we could do with an additional attacking option somewhere along the line but its early days and there is plenty time

Shinnie, Higdon and a winger/attacker and were laughing

• Upvote 1

Not impressed thus far.

Total overreaction.

Logan, we all wanted signed. Done.

Brown is someone we are told has been extensively watched. Taylor we are told was being chased by a number of decent English clubs. Both deserve a chance before being labeled a disappointment.

We're way ahead of where we normally are. Last years squad thinned of the deadwood. A few encouraging signings in and I'm sure plenty work going on to sort out the next few.

Chill the fuck out.

• Upvote 1

Not impressed thus far.

Ridiculous post.

Dundee United have signed a couple of 18 year olds from the Huns and Queens Park, as well as a defender from Dunfermline. They lost a few players and need to replace a few yet. They have hardly strengthened.

As for Clarkson at Well...you can hardly claim that they have strengthened also if they sign him. Didn't score many in the few years he was at Bristol Rovers, who were relegated to the Conference last season.

As for Hearts, are you having a laugh? Their new foreign centre half and striker - I doubt many people in Scotland know about them so it's ludicrous to claim they're better signings than what we have made. Keatings, Gomis and Alexander the others. Have a word if you think their transfer business has been better. What should it matter, anyway? They're a league below us.

We're fine as we are for the Riga games. Would like another striker in should we manage to get past them. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Not impressed thus far.

Think the exact opposite - for first time in many years it seems we have planned well in advance and went out actually looking at players and got few in really early with couple more to follow as other targets turn us down.

But light years ahead of signing nobody before pre season and rumbling about with Abu Dhabi division 6 trialists and putting out quotes saying english premiership squads not finalised and have til end of August to get players in (10 games into season)

Exactly.

?.

I was only saying the other day we needed to have more faith in the youth and that Shankland is looking like a top player (may still need more time but we'll have to see how he gets on). Also thought we should give Goodwillie a chance if signed.

We do require a couple more players purely for depth. As I've said before we just need to be patient and see what DM comes up with.

Most players are under contract until June 30th so it would be daft getting involved with any other clubs players.

I am sure DM knows who he wants and agents will be knocking down his door as AFC stock has risen since his arrival.

I would like to see a few more new, quality faces in as well and I have faith. One marquee signing to top that off and I think we have moved on from Chris Clark types as was the case. McInnes, Yule and even Milne know this but remember we will not be held to ransom due to our elevation.

Quite a funny post.

A bit dramatic though I think.

Firstly I think we've done pretty well what the fans hoped for so far, and we just need to keep working away at 2 or 3 more quality signings to have a significantly improved squad over last year. As others have said the key players have been kept on, and a few of the deadwood types released, even Zola has been moved out. Then some others who have either been extensively scouted or are already well known to us have been brought in. All seems to plan to me.

A couple of thoughts...

I did wonder why MacDonald wasn't snapped up but then when we signed Brown it became pretty clear we had already done our homework and perhaps even had a gentlemans agreement with Brown long before MacDonald was made available.

Completely disagree others have strengthened more efficiently than we have.

Lastly Hearts are not in any way comparable, its easy for them to "strengthen" the squad and quickly because the squad is down to the bare bones. They can simply pick up whatever decent players are available cheaply and be happy that there are plenty of spaces in the squad to be filled. AFC on the other hand have to get players in 2 or 3 key positions that need strengthened and we have to be sure those players are better than what we have or at least as good as our best players.

My advice is to grow some balls and stop being such a sap.

In DM we trust - the man knows what he is doing...

Taken from BBC interview yesterday:

"It's no secret we're still trying to bring one or two in, we're a bit short up front," he told BBC Radio Scotland.

"We've let three players move on - Scott Vernon, Josh Magennis and Calvin Zola.

"Replacements are needed there so we'll certainly try to get one or two in if we can, ideally for the European game. But, for us it's a long season, it's more important that we get the right one in.

"We could easily jump at one or two things at the minute but we're conscious it's still early in the season - most of the English clubs aren't even back yet and it's important that we try and hold our nerve, be a bit patient to try to get the right one we feel can make a difference.

"We spoke to Kris, I spoke to him and his agent. And, although we never made an offer of such, we did say 'if you feel Aberdeen's the right place for you and you want to come we'll try and do a deal', but obviously he's signed now for Rangers, we move on.

"We're trying to bring players to the club that can improve us, help us challenge on all fronts domestically and in Europe."

The Dons have been back in pre-season training for three weeks, and defeated Arbroath 7-0 in their final warm-up game before Thursday's European clash.

McInnes is well aware the last time Aberdeen faced Latvian opposition in Europe it did not end well, with Skonto Riga knocking Willie Miller's side out on away goals in 1994.

"We feel quite well-versed on them now [Daugava Riga]," he said. "Since the draw's been made we've had plenty of information.

"When we were playing Brechin the other night they were playing Skonto Riga and Paul Sheerin went over and done a match report for us.

"We've managed to get every game they've played this season and we've concentrated more on the last half a dozen games; the last two and three in particular.

"We feel we know their players enough after watching them, certainly know the system they've been consistently playing. I think we can be as well prepared as we can be going into it.

"It shows there are very few teams in European competition that you can get away with playing poor against and expect to come through. We've just got to try and concentrate on our performance and make sure it is of a high enough level to cause them problems.

"The biggest thing they have over us is match fitness and game sharpness that we are trying to get.

"There was a real enthusiasm and energy about the club last year that's important to manifest and drive forward again."

The point is I don't think we have improved the squad. Logan was already in the first team last year and whilst it's great he signed a longer deal I don't consider him signing as improving the squad as he was already there.

The goal keeping situation is a joke. We have all se the good and the bad of Clangers but one of the main reasons he gets away with it is because he has no one to challenge him. We are three games into preseason and already we are getting negative reports about Brown from certain posters. Now I admit it is far to early to judge but there were potentially better players out there within Aberdeen's range.

Taylor I am not too familiar with however he was part of a defence last year that conceded the second highest amount of goals and ultimately got relegated.

The fact that these two were scouted means nothing to me. Plenty of teams, managers, scouts get it wrong. One things for sure is we will find out if our scouting is any good depending on how the new players do.

The point is I don't think we have improved the squad. Logan was already in the first team last year and whilst it's great he signed a longer deal I don't consider him signing as improving the squad as he was already there.

The goal keeping situation is a joke. We have all se the good and the bad of Clangers but one of the main reasons he gets away with it is because he has no one to challenge him. We are three games into preseason and already we are getting negative reports about Brown from certain posters. Now I admit it is far to early to judge but there were potentially better players out there within Aberdeen's range.

Taylor I am not too familiar with however he was part of a defence last year that conceded the second highest amount of goals and ultimately got relegated.

The fact that these two were scouted means nothing to me. Plenty of teams, managers, scouts get it wrong. One things for sure is we will find out if our scouting is any good depending on how the new players do.

TwoStars doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to goalkeeping so take anything he says with a large dose of salt.

• Upvote 4