Is Anyone Else Slightly Worried.......

I just can't understand the critique of McInnes? He's had a great season last year and a very strong pre season (taking into consideration our European form) this year. We deserved second place last year and the only real disappointment was the scottish cup semi final. Even after that game I thought we played decent in a few games.

Did we really deserve 2nd place? the league doesn't lie...if we had done enough during the season to gain more points than Motherwell then we'd have deserved it, but I don't think we did...we threw it away right at the death, not just by that Motherwell goal, but the fact we were limpless infront of goal ourselves.

Old cliché, but unfortunately the league table doesn't lie.

Did we really deserve 2nd place? the league doesn't lie...if we had done enough during the season to gain more points than Motherwell then we'd have deserved it, but I don't think we did...we threw it away right at the death, not just by that Motherwell goal, but the fact we were limpless infront of goal ourselves.

Old cliché, but unfortunately the league table doesn't lie.

The league table doesn't lie but I think in the circumstances we could cut some slack, not many were predicting 3rd let alone 2nd last season. Not many of us would have thought we'd finally win a trophy or that we'd beat Groningen.

I think McInnes has done more than enough to suggest he knows what he is doing, which some above are questioning. Just baffles me the people who post on here and what they expect.

• Site Sponsor

Oh, I'm aware of that, I was just pointing out that we've strengthened our forward line 100% over the last season, our midfield is in very decent shape, and we maybe need a defender and a new goalie.

We haven't strengthened because we're not in a mad panic to strengthen. We've gone the route of shirt filler in the past and ended up with hopeless bastards like Ifil and Zola, and frankly we could have saved our time and money and simply promoted a youth player with at least the same level of effectiveness.

If McInnes can't find the person he wants then I don't want him signing any old twat who happens to be available. We're strong enough to compete at the top end of the table as it is. Strengthening will be great, but it needs to be on our terms and with the right player.

Believe me, I'm overtly critical of pretty much everything AFC ever does, ever. There's nothing anyone can tell me about dishing out unwarranted abuse and criticism...

... but as things stand the club is actually going about things the RIGHT way. For the first time in I don't know how many years. They've actually got me to shut the fuck about how piss poor a club we have, and that is NO mean feat.

They'll never be able to please all the fans all the time, but right now I'm pretty happy.

Still... LB and goalie please..

That's a damned fine post there Mr K, especially the bit about signing any old twat who happens to be available.

There seems to be mucho flapping about not signing anyone of note yet i didnt hear the transfer window slamming shut.

I sincerely hope that Deek is working away behind the scenes to secure a LB - if it's not Shinnie, someone a la Logan who can actually play that position.

Ye ken for a quasi-Yank, you seem to spik some sense now and again Kelt

I have to say straight off the bat that I don't consider Goodwillie to be a shirtfiller at all. The guy has proven himself to be a cracking player at SPL level, and as far as I'm concerned he just needs a good coach to get his touch back.

We do seem to be completely unwilling to look for a keeper to replace Clangers. Why, I don't know, but there has really been no attempt to sign a player to push him at all. And, as I said, we need a goalkeeper.

Monakana could be brilliant for all we know. He could be horseshit. But there's no way to say he's one thing or the other until we see him play. He is, however, a stop-gap, and I wouldn't consider him a 'signing'.

As for Taylor, again, no way of knowing.

Way too early to be writing off any of the signings, though.

In the case of guys like Ifil and Zola you could pretty much tell within the first few games that they were just ridiculously bad players at this level..

As of yet I don't see how it's possible to judge the signing to any real degree.

Good post. The only thing I'd disagree with is Brown. Haven't seen enough of him to see if he'll really press but with him having such a good reputation at his last club I find it hard to believe he can be bad.

The left back situation. I'd much rather stick with Consi or Robertson than pay an extra wage for someone that isn't any better but is a "left back".

EDIT: Oh! And we've also signed Cem Felek who sounds like a very promising young player. Rome wasn't built in a day mine.

Another point is the eventual requirement to replace Anderson and Robson. This would have been the perfect time to bring someone in and be ready for when they retire. Ash Taylor would have been thought to be in that category but I just don't think he is up for it.

This your expert opinion based on around a year of scouting and monitoring the player is it?

Another point is the eventual requirement to replace Anderson and Robson. This would have been the perfect time to bring someone in and be ready for when they retire. Ash Taylor would have been thought to be in that category but I just don't think he is up for it.

That is probably the plan with taylor. Let's give the boy a chance.

Totally with you on that. 100%. I have been feeling bemused by McInnes for a number of months now. With the dons very rarely being impressive since (and including) the cup final. He has shown a total inability to change things when we don't get our own way. This is very much part of his remit. He has it in him I am sure. But there's definitely room for him to improve.

It's his home form that's worrying. If you had a season ticket and didn't go to away games you would be sitting wondering what the fuck everyone raves about.

• 2 weeks later...

No target man in the first team squad was always going to be an interesting shout from the Dons. Even when uneffective can still occupy defenders and create space for others

No left back is obviously an issue

Could have done with another winger - hopefully Monakana or Wright can prove their worth and fill that role

Thread disappears for over a week after 1 win, then resurfaces after one defeat.

Are we going to get this bumped after every defeat?

We have lost 2 out of three games and played shocking in both. This last performance was despite having more than a weeks rest so no one can say the players were not fit enough.

The main problem has been our lack of decent signings to improve the first team. We still have the same glaring defaults.

To be honest in most positions I wouldnt blame the lack of signings as much as McInnes lack of faith in the fringe players. Chucking Smith in ahead of Pawlett or McGinn for a game can be a shout and using the benched player as a sub to make a difference later in the game. Never drops our main 1-11 players tho

To be honest in most positions I wouldnt blame the lack of signings as much as McInnes lack of faith in the fringe players. Chucking Smith in ahead of Pawlett or McGinn for a game can be a shout and using the benched player as a sub to make a difference later in the game. Never drops our main 1-11 players tho

If i was DM I would be afraid to bring on a player from our bench as I am not convinced there is much quality there.

The main point is that this was last seasons problem and continues to be a thorn in our side.