Is Anyone Else Slightly Worried.......

Seconded. a/ he isn't a left back. b/ he is a more than decent outside left who shouldn't be expected to provide a cross for Rooney and then be back in the box defending when the opposition break.

On the goal keeping situation. We will be in tight matches this season as we go toe to toe with CFC as best we can on our budget, Mwell and Utd, plus hopefully two or three decent Euro sides as well. It is difficult facing up to the opposition on your own six yard line. Nothing more needs to be said.

Am I the only one who has been impressed with Hayes as a left back? I also don't think we need many more signings, I would like to see younger players continuing to contribute, Murray, Shankland, Storie, McManus can all be given the chance and we have Smith, Roberstson and Low. I reckon all we need is one more stricker and a creative midfielder.

End of the day if we went and signed shinnie by the end of the transfer window everyone will be happy as larry.. give it time! The fact we haven't signed a left back or striker yet i think shows Del Boy is taking his time making sure its the right move, no point rushing in and signing a shit left back when there is the possibility of getting shinnie

Like many, I agree the OP is over-reacting slightly, but I sincerely hope McInnes has a Plan B regarding the Boyd snub, especially given that he's moved on Vernon (say what you like, but he was a reliable back-up).

The playing field is the weakest it has been for years and so we must take this opportunity to establish ourselves back at the top of Scottish football once and for all.

2nd place next season is a must and I'd be very disappointed if we don't make another cup final.

Like many, I agree the OP is over-reacting slightly, but I sincerely hope McInnes has a Plan B regarding the Boyd snub, especially given that he's moved on Vernon (say what you like, but he was a reliable back-up).

The playing field is the weakest it has been for years and so we must take this opportunity to establish ourselves back at the top of Scottish football once and for all.

2nd place next season is a must and I'd be very disappointed if we don't make another cup final.

What snub?

Jesus someone isnt getting their hole. Only concern for me is Mcinnes seems to think Hayes is a left back

Exactly. He is completely wasted there for one & also not overly effective there for two.

Am I the only one who has been impressed with Hayes as a left back?

Yes.

As above I think he's adequate but no better there. Very much a stop gap but he is completely wasted there. We need him on left wing.

Ash and Brown have been brought in to compliment the squad, provide competition and offer reliable cover when needed. Overall it is well-balanced, but lacking in an established and proven left-back. As well as that, a second - proven - outright striker, and a creative midfielder with pace (none of our current incumbents have both) would be obvious additions to make. It may be difficult this season since the system deployed by Derek McInnes is now very familiar to the other teams in the league. Moreover, two of our best players are playing in their final season and may need rested or replaced altogether. The momentum and morale of the squad was diminished as the season closed. With that in mind, two more carefully considered signings could be critical to our success, invigorating and rejuvenating the side.

COYR.

• Upvote 5

Ash and Brown have been brought in to compliment the squad, provide competition and offer reliable cover when needed. Overall it is well-balanced, but lacking in an established and proven left-back. As well as that, a second - proven - outright striker, and a creative midfielder with pace (none of our current incumbents have both) would be obvious additions to make. It may be difficult this season since the system deployed by Derek McInnes is now very familiar to the other teams in the league. Moreover, two of our best players are playing in their final season and may need rested or replaced altogether. The momentum and morale of the squad was diminished as the season closed. With that in mind, two more carefully considered signings could be critical to our success, invigorating and rejuvenating the side.

COYR.

A nice summary NL.

I think we also need bigger contributions from some of the youngsters: I'm expecting DM to give opportunities to Smith, Low, McManus, Shankland etc and these lads will need to stake a claim for the jersey every week. If even one of them can become a first choice in their position then that's a boost to the squad.

• Upvote 1

Hayes is only doing well at left back because when he has played there he has looked comfortable due to his pace (similar to Ricky Foster). He isn't a defender, and I would be surprised if McInnes is making plans to play him there long term.

I would of hoped we had signed Shinnie by now, and it seems to have gone quiet on that front so looking less likely we will sign him.

Starting early will have us fucked by Christmas with this tiny squad. If I find myself relying on Cammy Smith as an impact sub then Christ Almighty.

St Johnston never seemed to suffer from their early start last season. Decent runs i both cups and decent league standing. Can't imagine their squad is any bigger in numbers or stronger in depth than ours.

• Upvote 1

The tiredness thing was overplayed at the end of last season. Just a lame excuse when we ran out of tactical ideas.

Fully agree, way too much emphasis made about over tiredness. They are professional footballers who should be able to cope. The problem was we had a few injuries involving several key players that occured roughly at the same time. Everyone realizes depth yet again was our issue. I'm all for giving youth their chance but I would feel happier with a few more experienced additions to the squad. Taylor and Brown seem to be a good start.

Hayes seems very capable at left back however much prefer him in a more advanced role. Hope we can sign a good left back (priority).

Fully agree, way too much emphasis made about over tiredness. They are professional footballers who should be able to cope. The problem was we had a few injuries involving several key players that occured roughly at the same time. Everyone realizes depth yet again was our issue. I'm all for giving youth their chance but I would feel happier with a few more experienced additions to the squad. Taylor and Brown seem to be a good start.

Hayes seems very capable at left back however much prefer him in a more advanced role. Hope we can sign a good left back (priority).

Calgary, I've noticed you take a keen interest in the transfer market.... If you were in Derek McInnes' shoes, who would you bring in?

I'm not too worried about the size of our squad as one or two have mentioned. There is no doubt McInnes will bring in at least two more players with at least one being a striker. DM may be thinking about giving a few of the younger palyers a serious chance this season. The squad as it stands is:-

GK - Langfield / Brown / Rogers

DEF - Anderson / Reynolds / Considine / Taylor / Logan / Shaughnesey / Robertson / Murray

CM - Flood / Jack / Robson / Low / Storie

AM - Hayes / McGinn / Smith / Wright

FOR - Rooney / Shankland / McManus

I have listed 23 players. Ok i know a few of the younger players (probably Wright, Murray, Shankland & Storie) won't be in contention to feature every week but i'd imagine DM will want to integrate them into the first team squad this season by having them on the bench at times and making some cameo apperances (hence Wright coming on last night). United have shown you can remain competitive by blooding the young players. If you add maybe three experienced players to the above (hopefully a LB, a striker that is better than Zola, Vernon or Magennis were and an AM) then i think the squad will be more than strong enough to cope with a full season (although if DM does add a LB i'd imagine one of the defenders will either leave on loan or pemanently...probably Robertson or Shaghnessey would be favourite). St Johnsone's squad last season wasn;t as strong as what ours will be with the two or three experienced additions we all expect and they started at exactly the same time last season as we have this season...and which team finished the season the srongest last season? We all know it was St Johnstone.

• Upvote 1

Three signings that were suggested left back, attacking midfield and striker....

Given Wright's and Smith's performances last night I would hold off midfield addition at the moment. We do need to press ahead with left back and striker though!

Who would you pick as left back against Groningen - Hayes, Considine or Logan?

Three signings that were suggested left back, attacking midfield and striker....

Given Wright's and Smith's performances last night I would hold off midfield addition at the moment. We do need to press ahead with left back and striker though!

Who would you pick as left back against Groningen - Hayes, Considine or Logan?

I think we should definitely still press ahead with signing an established attacking midfielder. I know what you're saying about Smith and Wright but remember Wright is still very young (think he's only 16?) so whilst i've no doubt DM will integrate him into the squad this season i don't see him playing week in week out or even being on the bench week in week out. Also if DM only signs one striker to effectively replace Zola, Magennis & Vernon then we may see more of McGinn as a CF next season (guess it depends on whether McManus & Shankland step up to the mark). If that is the case then another AM is a must for me. We want to try and push Celtic harder this season and go all the way in both cups if possible. And go as far as we can in Europe too. We will need as many quality attacking players as we can to achieve all that.