This "ice Bucket Challenge" Nonsense

Clydeside_Sheep

What do you make of this "ice bucket challenge" crap which is doing the rounds with the slebrities?

It seems like a pretty transparent vehicle for self promotion, masquerading as a charitable endeavour.

Therefore when thou dost an alms-deed, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be honoured by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.

Look at them, cynically vying for attention, like cheap tarts in a nightclub:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2728518/Britney-Spears-braces-Ice-Bucket-Challenge-shocked-stars-including-Kate-Upton-continue-raise-awareness-ALS-disease.html

(its even more scandalous that none of the women doing it wore a top which becomes transparent when wet - pffft).

I mean, just give some money to charity and keep your mouth shut about it.

What do you make of this "ice bucket challenge" crap which is doing the rounds with the slebrities?

It seems like a pretty transparent vehicle for self promotion, masquerading as a charitable endeavour.

Therefore when thou dost an alms-deed, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be honoured by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.

Look at them, cynically vying for attention, like cheap tarts in a nightclub:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2728518/Britney-Spears-braces-Ice-Bucket-Challenge-shocked-stars-including-Kate-Upton-continue-raise-awareness-ALS-disease.html

(its even more scandalous that none of the women doing it wore a top which becomes transparent when wet - pffft).

I mean, just give some money to charity and keep your mouth shut about it.

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Yes, it does encourage people to present themselves as great people but who cares? A huge amount of money is still going to a worthwhile cause. Great video here.

I read an article responding to the point you're making Clydeside and it made a good point.

"But what we miss when we criticize things like the Ice Bucket Challenge—or even consumeristic giving projects like one-for-one products or trends like The Red Campaign—is that these aren’t meant to be a replacement for our private generosity. These campaigns offer an opportunity to help encourage a culture of giving."

Giving to charitable causes shouldn't stop at a public push for awareness, we all have a responsibility to contribute to causes behind closed doors. This phenomenon is creating a positive environment to learn about a fatal illness, an illness which I had no idea about before recently. I think they've raised something like 15 million dollars compared to 50,000 dollars during this time last year. If it takes, celebrities being pompous to do that then so be it.

What does irritate me a little is the little kids doing it on Instagram when you know for a fact they are not putting any donations forward, or encouraging awareness of the disease.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Yes, it does encourage people to present themselves as great people but who cares? A huge amount of money is still going to a worthwhile cause. Great video here.

I read an article responding to the point you're making Clydeside and it made a good point.

"But what we miss when we criticize things like the Ice Bucket Challenge—or even consumeristic giving projects like one-for-one products or trends like The Red Campaign—is that these aren’t meant to be a replacement for our private generosity. These campaigns offer an opportunity to help encourage a culture of giving."

Giving to charitable causes shouldn't stop at a public push for awareness, we all have a responsibility to contribute to causes behind closed doors. This phenomenon is creating a positive environment to learn about a fatal illness, an illness which I had no idea about before recently. I think they've raised something like 15 million dollars compared to 50,000 dollars during this time last year. If it takes, celebrities being pompous to do that then so be it.

What does irritate me a little is the little kids doing it on Instagram when you know for a fact they are not putting any donations forward, or encouraging awareness of the disease.

Lets be honest most videos don't even mention charity and they probably haven't donated any money.

It's a LOOK AT ME I'M ACE fad. If you want to donate money to charity do it, and do it quietly.