Happy St Andys Day

The Cockney Don

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
24 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You spent £300 on that bottle? And you're going to open it tonight? Are you mad?

My dad bought me the bottle for my Christmas a good few years ago hence why I only have a large dram on special occasions. I have since bought a few more on some of the auction sites for circa £100 and it's only this past year it's gone over the £300 mark.

Crazy prices but you can still buy the 17 year old peat cask for £100 on auction sites and it's a cracker as well for that price.

6 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

My dad bought me the bottle for my Christmas a good few years ago hence why I only have a large dram on special occasions. I have since bought a few more on some of the auction sites for circa £100 and it's only this past year it's gone over the £300 mark.

Crazy prices but you can still buy the 17 year old peat cask for £100 on auction sites and it's a cracker as well for that price.

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You can't get it for £300 or anywhere close to that. £300 was what it cost (£299).

Not now. as he's already said.

Used to get it for around 100GBP as he said.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The Boofon said:

Not now. as he's already said.

Used to get it for around 100GBP as he said.

Correct.

Not bought anything from an auction site for a good while as prices are going through the roof.

Best option is to enter the Ballots or try to buy from a distributors on the day they are released but that's even getting harder and harder to do.

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

Might have been the 17yo doublewood I saw. Anyway get it doon ya. Fucking obscene these cunts that pay fortunes and don't guzzle it. 

Macallan, while a decent dram, is the most overpriced whisky on the market in my opinion. 

Mixture of good marketing and constantly releasing 'limited editions' means their whisky goes for stupid amounts.

Just now, For Fecks Sake said:

Macallan, while a decent dram, is the most overpriced whisky on the market in my opinion. 

Mixture of good marketing and constantly releasing 'limited editions' means their whisky goes for stupid amounts.

The distillery tour is great. Went there last year.

Lots of interesting info regarding the Duty Free market as well. They've got some amount of "special editions" purely for that alone.

Can't go wrong with an Aberlour or a Glenlivet either.

Just now, The Boofon said:

The distillery tour is great. Went there last year.

Lots of interesting info regarding the Duty Free market as well. They've got some amount of "special editions" purely for that alone.

Can't go wrong with an Aberlour or a Glenlivet either.

The tour is outstanding indeed. Did you get into the room with the suspended barrels below the bar? It's amazing.

Big fan of Craigganmore which is fantastic value for money.

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

I know whisky has always been a collector's market but it's getting big now - see Sour Grapes on Netflix re wine. I buy it to drink, not to trade but if you get a limited edition like that, less than 2,000 bottles, it must surely be for a special occasion e.g. first grandchild, wedding in the family etc., not for my wife's birthday 2020 or St A day 2020.

Is it possible that I smell shite again? A withered hand on the real thing could dispel in 30 seconds but why waste it on a buckshee night?

Come on RS min, this is the exactly the type of pish that puts people backs up and results in the flak you get.  Would be a bit of a shite forum if we all demanded proof all the time from everyone in relation to what they post.

"I went to the Cocket hat for lunch today" followed by "fucking prove it or it never happened" ?

Know you are desperate to debunk some of the things I post but just accept that sometimes other posters have had better experiences, or have got better things, than you do.  You are never shy talking about your shoes, jackets or where you have lived abroad previously but I don't see anyone requiring proof of this - we just accept it for what it is.

?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone looked into buying a barrel of whisky as an investment ? I recently looked at this but they wanted £22k for a 12 year old . Don't see a downside as the barrel increases in value at 18 years old then after 20 years the price shoots up.

£22k is a bit much for me to lay out just now but would consider £10 -£12k . Nice little earner for retirement if i leave it for 15 years or so