'hun'

Localfitbafan

Copied from the BBC Sport Scottish Football Gossip page

A campaign supported by the official Rangers fans board is to lobby First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to make the use of the word 'hun' illegal following the online abuse of pop singer and Rangers fan Amy Macdonald, with an internet petition saying it is a term of "religious hatred, a derogatory and sectarian term for a Protestant". (The Herald)

In todays super mad PC world I would not be shocked if this gets considered

This is a joke and is their way of levelling the bigoted playing field.

Total joke. I've looked into this before and from what I can see they started being called huns due to the barbaric behaviour of their fans at a game in Wolverhampton. A local paper said they were "coming across the border like marauding huns."

To say that hun could be treated in the same way as fenian, yid or nigger would completely trivialise laws on sectarianism. There are as many grounds for banning "hun" than there is for banning "sheepshagger".

HUN fuds.

• Upvote 3

Its ridiculous this - for a start, there is no such thing as the "protestant" religion. The term refers to something like 50 - 70,000 different kinds of minor Christian group, which are all very different.

So the term does not refer to a block of people with a common religion, so the complaint is a nonsense. In a rangers context, all the word really means is "not catholic".

Also the term "hun" was first coined by a journalist in England to descirbe rangers fans rioting during one of their many shameful trips there (they were said to behave like "maurading huns"). It was at wolverhampton this occured, in the 60s.

I got a telling off from a copper for saying, allegedly caught on his Go Pro thingy.

Apparently it was sectarian as he was from the west coast. (most likely a hun)

Did you tell him it originated back in the 60's at Wolverhampton when the fans were running about like 'marauding huns'?

We should start a weepy petition to criminalise 'sheep' or 'sheepshagger' since this is also sectarian.

...as sectarian as Hun, at least.

EDIT: I just did.

Please sign and forward this petition to every halfwit, including Huns*, who just sign shit because it's stuck under their nose.

Together we can make a difference.

*Especially Huns

We should start a weepy petition to criminalise 'sheep' or 'sheepshagger' since this is also sectarian.

...as sectarian as Hun, at least.

EDIT: I just did.

Please sign and forward this petition to every halfwit, including Huns*, who just sign shit because it's stuck under their nose.

Together we can make a difference.

https://www.change.org/p/idiots-everywhere-sign-without-thinking

*Especially Huns

Has been done. Over 70 signatures with such high profile people such as Jihadi John and David Cameron lending their support

At the risk of sounding like I'd defending the petitioning huns (I'm not). The term hun dates back to the protestant British Military in Ireland who were referred to by locals as huns. Also a possible reference to the Orange men and William of Orange, who was a Hanoverian.

Both uses would pre date any trips to Wolverhampton.

They are all still cunts though.

At the risk of sounding like I'd defending the petitioning huns (I'm not). The term hun dates back to the protestant British Military in Ireland who were referred to by locals as huns. Also a possible reference to the Orange men and William of Orange, who was a Hanoverian.

Both uses would pre date any trips to Wolverhampton.

They are all still cunts though.

In that non-football context hun means "invader".

As per (for example) Attila the Hun and his armies who invaded the known from the East, (this is whom the english journalist compared rangers fans to), and also the British use of the word to describe the German Armies in the world wars.

Interesting re Attila the Hun, the huns were qutie happy to nickname Mark Hately "Attila" - showing that they are hypocrites, given them claim the nickname based on the same historical character is offensive.

In that non-football context hun means "invader".

As per (for example) Attila the Hun and his armies who invaded the known from the East, (this is whom the english journalist compared rangers fans to), and also the British use of the word to describe the German Armies in the world wars.

Interesting re Attila the Hun, the huns were qutie happy to nickname Mark Hately "Attila" - showing that they are hypocrites, given them claim the nickname based on the same historical character is offensive.

Indeed, wasn't suggesting that the term was invented in Ireland, just meaning that it was the first time it was applied in the Protestant/Catholic context.

I realise that Atilla the Hun wasn't a Rangers fan or a Protestant. Point is though, that the use of the term vis a vis all the Irish bollocks was religious based and so an argument could be made that it is sectarian in nature....a pish argument, but an argument nontheless.

Indeed, wasn't suggesting that the term was invented in Ireland, just meaning that it was the first time it was applied in the Protestant/Catholic context.

I realise that Atilla the Hun wasn't a Rangers fan or a Protestant. Point is though, that the use of the term vis a vis all the Irish bollocks was religious based and so an argument could be made that it is sectarian in nature....a pish argument, but an argument nontheless.

He looks like one.

AttilaHun.jpg

If you google "Wolverhampton + marauding huns + rangers" you get plenty of hits, including from wolverhampton fan forums talking about it.

Cant seem to find the actual newspaper which carried it, but then it was probably a local paper and may vbene be defunct by now?!

Just like the huns themselves.