Inferior Clubs Games In Spfl

6 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Would love to see Arbroath come up, see what the SPFL think of that

Can’t think that the SPFL would be unduly bothered to be honest.Β 

No real threat to the Scottish football establishmentΒ 

Not much different from the likes of Ross County being in the top flight.

2 hours ago, redone said:

Can’t think that the SPFL would be unduly bothered to be honest.Β 

No real threat to the Scottish football establishmentΒ 

Not much different from the likes of Ross County being in the top flight.

Scone, what do you mean by your last sentence? Ross county have been in the top division for 9 out of the last 10 seasons and have won the same amount of trophies as Aberdeen (and more recently) in the last 10 years.

13 minutes ago, Itsagoal said:

Scone, what do you mean by your last sentence? Ross county have been in the top division for 9 out of the last 10 seasons and have won the same amount of trophies as Aberdeen (and more recently) in the last 10 years.

That's a depressing paragraph.Β ?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Itsagoal said:

Just that Arbroath are aΒ similar size clubΒ to Ross County and as far as I’m aware the SPFL have no problem with them being in the top flight.

15 minutes ago, redone said:

Just that Arbroath are aΒ similar size clubΒ to Ross County and as far as I’m aware the SPFL have no problem with them being in the top flight.

Ross County are a professional club though & were so (I believe) when they got promoted.Β 
Arbroath are an amateur/part time sideΒ 

10 hours ago, redone said:

Similar size? Ross County’s average attendance in season 2019/20 was Β£4,361 which was bigger than St Johnstone, Livi and Hamilton. They also have an excellent infrastructure and training facilities and as dandy has said were a professional club when they were promoted 10 years ago.

What matters in football should always be about what happens on the pitch and not about the size or budget of a club now or historically or its attendances.Β 

If Arbroath get promoted then they'll have deserved it.Β  Good luck to them. I'd rather they came up than the likes of Kilmarnock or other similar clubs who are in thrall to the Huns and Celtic.Β 

Scottish football needs new stories, it's part of its appeal despite what the football authorities and TV companies seem to think.Β 

15 minutes ago, Itsagoal said:

Similar size? Ross County’s average attendance in season 2019/20 was Β£4,361 which was bigger than St Johnstone, Livi and Hamilton. They also have an excellent infrastructure and training facilities and as dandy has said were a professional club when they were promoted 10 years ago.

Ross County always come across as desperate for cash so it’s good that it appears on match days…who needs fan’s when the cash just rolls up.

1970, totally agree. County and Inverness getting to the top league in a fairly short time after finally being admitted to the major leagues was a great story, as was them both winning a major trophy (and Inverness coming close to a second after losing a cup final penalty shoot out). Arbroath’s promotion, if they were to win it, would be an even bigger story, although I can see the weegia as well making a negative out of this - we can’t have part timers in the top league, unless of course they’re in or near Glasgow.

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Ross County always come across as desperate for cash so it’s good that it appears on match days…who needs fan’s when the cash just rolls up.

Hardly

Remember when we interested in signing Alex Schalk a few seasons back under freedom of contract. Until we found out what Ross County had been paying him.....that ended our interest fairly sharpish

On 1/4/2022 at 10:09 AM, Itsagoal said:

Yes , broadly speaking similar to Ross County. Β I’m not saying they’re identical , just similar. But I’d alsoΒ say Arbroath are broadly similar in size (in terms of fanbase and to a lesser extent ,financial resources) to the other clubsΒ you’ve mentioned and severalΒ of the clubs in the championship this season.

I mentioned Ross County as both them and Arbroath are from fairly small towns that are relatively remote from heavily populated places.

And , personally , IΒ wouldn’t rely on average home attendance as a definitive guideline in assessing the size of a club. The numberΒ of season ticket holders would be more relevant in my opinion.Β 

Β 

• 3 weeks later...