Bad_Mobby

Restaurants Outwith Aberdeen

So good that you've not been there in a decade?

I've heard the water there is excellent.

Good point, I had membership, but I usually work at nights and finish once it closes, so not been able to go for that long

Was it Walter Smith or Raymond Domenech?

Hehe, nice, I deserved that :)

So Coco in Inverness.

really fabulous breakfasts, great service, comfortable place, decent prices.

and the fresh churros with a caramel and chocolate dipping sauces make a delicious snack. :drool:

Never tired there like. Been in cool runnings in inverness? Jamaican random as fuck and a bit pish pretty much next door.

If in inverness used to be very keen on river house but last time not so much though in general load of decent places. McGogongals steak place I'd miss out, Kitchen same, Mustard Seed is good (ken is same crown as kitchen) so if Roc Pool (restaurant, though prefer River house). Roc Pool Reserve (hotel) actually think is right up there though gets missed off loads of peoples lists, very well done food and good cheese board (cheese souffle get it done too). If near inverness Red Pepper in strathpeffer is not bad like.

If up very north captains galley or cote de nord or some pish are fairly fancy. French in wick is not bad but if you're looking for meat (;)) hit the norseman.

Indeed. I've mentioned this place before, it's excellent. Have you tried the sister restaurant, the dhakkin?

Yes, it is also good. However, I'm a creator of habit so it is usually the Dhabba or Pancho Villas around the corner.

I have recently (Valentines weekend) graced the following Establishments with my custom:

Mia (Italian), Dalry Road, Edinburgh - I had Linguine Mare and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I would have happily licked the sauce off my plate to finish, had my wife not threatened to storm out if I did ("black affronted" apparently). Wife had pizza which she said was nice. The staff were very friendly and kind to our baby. I would definitely go back, although my in my review, the place is marked down a bit for being in Edinburgh and its close proximity to Tynecastle.

Dalhousie Castle, near Bonnyrigg - we had dinner and breakfast here. Very nice. Was a bit baffled with the basil sorbet in my desert, basil isnt a desert thing imo. I usually prefer cognac for dessert, but its lent alas. Very good staff. Arrival of the cooked breakfast was a bit slow.

The Sun Inn, near Dalkeith - very good gastro pub, as the packed seating area on a Monday lunchtime testified. I had turbot fillets with eyemouth crab and spring onion risotto. FANTASTIC.

Vittoria on the bridge (George IV bridge, Edinburgh)

Visited here over the festive season. Staff were excellent and the food was great. Only complaint was that there was too much food for me to handle. but of course that is my own fault

Fennel booked for Mothers Day.

I'm getting stung this year. Missus, Mum and Mother in law.

Anyone been? Folk at work have been raving about it.

Fennel booked for Mothers Day.

I'm getting stung this year. Missus, Mum and Mother in law.

Anyone been? Folk at work have been raving about it.

Mothers Day should not be celebrated. Nobody asked to be born! Why should we celebrate that your dad got laid?

Mothers Day should not be celebrated. Nobody asked to be born! Why should we celebrate that your dad got laid?

Orphan?

Was at Dhabba in Glasgow (Candleriggs) recently.

- nice food

- slow service

- over-priced*

(*and im saying that despite us making a saving via their early dining offer. The full prices must be a rip off).

How was fennel, supposed to be dear,the owner I attended primary school with.

Never made it bud. Bairn was born on Mothers Day.

Morellos, Great Western Road, Glasgow

On the recommendation of Clydeside Sheep, I ventured to this Turkish delight just before midnight last night

I'd been drinking all day, but can still remember some of the flavours of the BBQ lamb kebab I opted for - very tasty indeed

The staff were nice and friendly

I ate it sitting in a doorway, before stumbling home

8/10

• Upvote 1

If anyone ever finds themselves in Great Broughton, I heartily endorse The Jet Miner's Inn.

Morellos, Great Western Road, Glasgow

On the recommendation of Clydeside Sheep, I ventured to this Turkish delight just before midnight last night

I'd been drinking all day, but can still remember some of the flavours of the BBQ lamb kebab I opted for - very tasty indeed

The staff were nice and friendly

I ate it sitting in a doorway, before stumbling home

8/10

Glad you enjoyed it, they are first rate.

Glad you enjoyed it, they are first rate.

I was back after a skinful on Thursday night for more of the same

I was at the Squid and Whale across the road for tea last night

Beef Burritto, lime prawn and pulled pork tacos and blackened haddock rice and chipotle fries - washed down with a couple of Weihenstephen

Very tasty.

Beef Burritto, lime prawn and pulled pork tacos and blackened haddock rice and chipotle fries - washed down with a couple of Weihenstephen

Very tasty.

That sounds fucking magic.

Fiddlers in Drum is very decent. Not fancy but very tasty, great staff and walls lined with different Whisky and magic selection of beers.

Rises above most places I've been in the last year.

Ate in Cafe Rouge, Frederick st Edinburgh on Saturday.

The duck was smashing.

The waitress was also smashing.

The only time I ever eat out is when some other cunt is paying for it.

The only time I ever eat out is when some other cunt is paying for it.

Fancy a Nandos?

Yip no bother as long as you're paying.

They are addictive alright!

Very tasty.

Sounds great, Squid and Whale is good.

Thon pub has been very many different establishments over the years - Oblomov, Junkyard Dog and Bier Halle to name a few. Current incarnation is as good as any imo.

You should check out Munros Pub sometime. It replaced the Captains Rest, which I loved, but Munros is good too. Over-priced, snacky food, but good selection of decent beers (if a bit pricey). Usually a decent crowd. Always seems full of Partick and Ush*ted fans when I go in.

Have you drank in Coopers (formerly Bar OZ, formerly Chimmy Chungas)? Great pub which always musters a decent (for Glasgow) Dons support if on the telly.

There is now a West (the local brewer) pub on Woodlands Rd - it replaced the Halt Bar, another longtime face of mine :(

Review of Firebird (Glasgow) - Argyll Street (out west, near the art gallery / uni)

I met people for lunch, first time I had been in ages.

As I remembered their menu was a little uninspiring for a hearty eater like myself. Wheres the burgers, steak pie etc? FFS.

Still a nice attractive place to sit in and watch the world go by. Family friendly.

No drink was taken.

Nice friendly service by attractive waitresses - US girl from pittsburgh and a blonde resembling Candice Swaneople , but with actual tits, who was wearing paint-on jeans.

Ratings:

Food - 6/10 (marked down only for the lack of man-sized dishes available)

Ambience - 7/10

Service - 8/10

Overall - 7/10

Verdit - give it a punt for a lunch or afternoon beers

Had a few full Irish breakfasts when I was in Dublin, vastly superior to full Scottish breakfasts.

Had a few full Irish breakfasts when I was in Dublin, vastly superior to full Scottish breakfasts.

Do you spend time coming up with this sort of rubbish?

I'd use it to do something worthwhile.

Edited by tup
  • Upvote 1

They are addictive alright!

Sounds great, Squid and Whale is good.

Thon pub has been very many different establishments over the years - Oblomov, Junkyard Dog and Bier Halle to name a few. Current incarnation is as good as any imo.

You should check out Munros Pub sometime. It replaced the Captains Rest, which I loved, but Munros is good too. Over-priced, snacky food, but good selection of decent beers (if a bit pricey). Usually a decent crowd. Always seems full of Partick and Ush*ted fans when I go in.

Have you drank in Coopers (formerly Bar OZ, formerly Chimmy Chungas)? Great pub which always musters a decent (for Glasgow) Dons support if on the telly.

There is now a West (the local brewer) pub on Woodlands Rd - it replaced the Halt Bar, another longtime face of mine :(

Coppers is a decent enough bar, but has about 3 tv's and no sound up for games (or didn't last time I was there anyway).

Everyone knows the Rock on Hyndland Road is the place to be for Glasgow based Dons, will be there tomorrow night for the Hearts game and should be packed with Dandies as usual.

Watch yourself coming out with stuff like that Caledonian and his fellow braveheart types will be outraged at such comments.

Coppers is a decent enough bar, but has about 3 tv's and no sound up for games (or didn't last time I was there anyway).

Everyone knows the Rock on Hyndland Road is the place to be for Glasgow based Dons, will be there tomorrow night for the Hearts game and should be packed with Dandies as usual.

Maybe you caught a bad evening or something, they always have the sounds up when Ive been there. If its not up demand it be put up! And they have loads of TVs - the ability to see from anywhere is one of the things I like about it.

Hubbards was the place back in the day, till (I think) the Glasgow Uni dons got dons fans barred (or something - apologies to those concerned if thats not right, thats what I was told). Hubbards is now gone and I figured folk just gravitated over the road to Coopers.

I have heard the Rock is good but its less convenient to get to, if not from west end.

Edited by Clydeside_Sheep

Watch yourself coming out with stuff like that Caledonian and his fellow braveheart types will be outraged at such comments.

Aye there will be calls that this breakfast slander is justification for a 2nd referendum!

• Upvote 1