Aberdeen Pubs And Clubs Of The 80S

ZeroTolerance

22 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

The Station Hotel also had some primo gigs back in the day

Spacemen 3, the Shamen, the Meteors

Participated in a furious bottling (plastic beer glassing) of The Shamen at The Venue back in the day. 

Either we simply weren't ready for their brand of brilliant electronic music, or they were shite... I can't remember which... 

Regardless, they would go on to be a top act, despite that setback. 

For some reason I have almost perfect clarity in remembering the circumstances of Sid Ozalid also being bottled (plastic beer glassed) off the stage after about 30 seconds. 

Comes on stage in a Hawaiian Shirt, carrying a trumpet, and proceeds to say, and I quote... "Everybody GET DOWN! Now GET UP AGAIN! Now GET A LITTLE BIT SIDEWAYS!"

At which point the crowd turned on him... Goths are not tolerant of, nor patient towards, acts of blatant frivolity... and that was Sid's 30 seconds on stage at The Venue. 

He went on to be a poet of some repute, apparently, and is still at it... if that's your thing... while I am no longer a Goth. 

So... Sid won that one. 

• Haha 1

Used to go into the Balmoral Lounge for a couple of lunchtime pints when I worked in a garage on Chapel Street. Got a bad pint one time (honest!) had to sprint to the door and projectile vomited across the pavement then walked down to the zebra crossing  and while I'm crossing violently throwing up what seemed to be 10 feet in front of myself, (like the David Walliams racist woman in Little Britain) same all the way up Chapel Street... Never returned

14 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Amadeus was for folk who didn’t know what proper clubbing was. 

I'm only young enough for the U18 nights they used do to so probably true enough.

Happy to sneak in a 1/4 quarter bottle of vodka and split it between 6.

Used to enjoy the nights back in the day.

1 minute ago, cheesepipes said:

Ritzys changed to Bonkers before settling on The Palace. 

Im just glad i grew up going to Rock/indie/rave nights at a club called Bonkers. 

Showing your age, was the Palace when I started going into toon. Monthly Love Child being a highlight of my youth 

10 minutes ago, NEM said:

Showing your age, was the Palace when I started going into toon. Monthly Love Child being a highlight of my youth 

We probably bumped into each other, mumbled "im fucked min" put our hands on our knees for a few seconds to compose ourselves then disappeared in opposite directions, finger pointing the DJ. 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, NEM said:

Brilliant nights, never attended work the day after those babies 

Had my first dalliance with Ketamine in there (when 2 off my mates got a taxi to hospital lol) 

1 hour ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Brilliant nights, never attended work the day after those babies 

Had my first dalliance with Ketamine in there (when 2 off my mates got a taxi to hospital lol) 

I was still at College but the Monday after a Love Child was a guaranteed Torry holiday (for dozens, if not 100's of folk) ?

7 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

Ritzys changed to Bonkers before settling on The Palace. 

Im just glad i grew up going to Rock/indie/rave nights at a club called Bonkers. 

Believe it was Ritzy's where we once saw The Damned, of all places. 

Puzzlingly, the lead singer of Nervous Choir kept screaming "Sham 69!" over and over at Vanian between every song. 

Eventually a dear, dear friend of mine, and a wonderful human being who valued dialogue over violence always, went over to the lead singer of nervous choir and had a wee chat with him, after which the lead singer of Nervous Choir chose to stop screaming "Sham 69".

Nervous Choir weren't bad, in the main. 

80's were a terrific time for local bands in Aberdeen.

To be honest, I'd have put money on Toxic Ephex being the big break out band, rather than Annie Lennox. 

Anyone remember an Aberdeen sado-metal band called 'Laz-her'?

Seem to recall seeing them play, and thinking, "This must be what it was like for British soldiers captured by the Japanese during the war."