Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Aberdeen Pubs And Clubs Of The 80S

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Was that the one maybe halfway down Windmill brae or the one round the corner past the pizza place towards bridge st?

The one round the corner. Opposite Riley’s. 
Became Liquid after The Palace and fuck knows what else after that. 

3 hours ago, NEM said:

Showing your age, was the Palace when I started going into toon. Monthly Love Child being a highlight of my youth 

Brilliant nights, never attended work the day after those babies 

Had my first dalliance with Ketamine in there (when 2 off my mates got a taxi to hospital lol) 

1 hour ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Brilliant nights, never attended work the day after those babies 

Had my first dalliance with Ketamine in there (when 2 off my mates got a taxi to hospital lol) 

I was still at College but the Monday after a Love Child was a guaranteed Torry holiday (for dozens, if not 100's of folk) 😄

3 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Love Child was bank holidays anyway, no?

Not a Butcher holiday (though it usually was for me) 

Edited by Bad_Mobby

43 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Love Child was bank holidays anyway, no?

It was once a month so only some of them were bank holidays.  Killed it when they started doing them every week

7 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

Ritzys changed to Bonkers before settling on The Palace. 

Im just glad i grew up going to Rock/indie/rave nights at a club called Bonkers. 

Believe it was Ritzy's where we once saw The Damned, of all places. 

Puzzlingly, the lead singer of Nervous Choir kept screaming "Sham 69!" over and over at Vanian between every song. 

Eventually a dear, dear friend of mine, and a wonderful human being who valued dialogue over violence always, went over to the lead singer of nervous choir and had a wee chat with him, after which the lead singer of Nervous Choir chose to stop screaming "Sham 69".

Nervous Choir weren't bad, in the main. 

80's were a terrific time for local bands in Aberdeen.

To be honest, I'd have put money on Toxic Ephex being the big break out band, rather than Annie Lennox. 

Anyone remember an Aberdeen sado-metal band called 'Laz-her'?

Seem to recall seeing them play, and thinking, "This must be what it was like for British soldiers captured by the Japanese during the war."

6 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Puzzlingly, the lead singer of Nervous Choir kept screaming "Sham 69!" over and over at Vanian between every song. 

Eventually a dear, dear friend of mine, and a wonderful human being who valued dialogue over violence always, went over to the lead singer of nervous choir and had a wee chat with him, after which the lead singer of Nervous Choir chose to stop screaming "Sham 69".

To be honest, I'd have put money on Toxic Ephex being the big break out band, rather than Annie Lennox. 

Seem to recall seeing them play, and thinking, "This must be what it was like for British soldiers captured by the Japanese during the war."

Always enjoyed DC’s company 

47 minutes ago, NEM said:

It was once a month so only some of them were bank holidays.  Killed it when they started doing them every week

You’re right. I’ve nae idea where my bank holiday theory comes from. And I certainly dinna remember it going weekly - what a stupid idea.

Surely just me went in the Argo bar, 

I remember one time we took lad wet behind the ears there 

He wore thick Nhs glasses, we thought that it would be fun to watch the  go go dancers pick on him,

Backfired lucky bastard got his head buried in tits , 

13 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

I used to work with a guy was on the door there

Was there actual security on the door there? 

Worst bouncers ever if so 

47 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Always enjoyed DC’s company 

Is there anyone in Aberdeen who doesn't have a Dod story?

A stand out character of the era. 

23 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

A stand out character of the era. 

True that

Spotted him once on the car deck on a ferry, he was retrieving a bike, tartan bondage troosers being the dead give away

TOXIK EPHEX !!  shouted i down the booming hallway

I guess you had to be there

1 hour ago, milne_afc said:

You’re right. I’ve nae idea where my bank holiday theory comes from. And I certainly dinna remember it going weekly - what a stupid idea.

They started out as Bank Holiday weekend events. 

Got popular, was fucking ace, went regular and turned shit. 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Fud Rot never made it onto Top of the Pops. 

Real shame. 

TE had a tune, I DONT WANT A BOMB IN MY BACK GARDEN, which a chum of mine thought was hilarious to roar in response, "WELL FUCKIN' MOVE!" each and EVERY time it was sung.

EVERY fucking time.

46 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

TE had a tune, I DONT WANT A BOMB IN MY BACK GARDEN, which a chum of mine thought was hilarious to roar in response, "WELL FUCKIN' MOVE!" each and EVERY time it was sung.

EVERY fucking time.

ACAB....bump.....Try Blitz....🤡...loves ehs markies cheese 20210203-141750.jpg

Edited by Misers Hill

56 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

EVERY fucking time.

I reckon ats  ...wild side o life...CrAsS..I ken......preferred Discharge..

Edited by Misers Hill