Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

O&G is dying. Rightly so. 

What should've been happening for a generation is the preparation for the transition to the renewables sector. Training schemes, greater incentives for renewables start-ups, proper subsidies for renewable electricity fed in to the grid. 

Scotland has something like 25% of all of Europe's wind. We should be a powerhouse of European energy. Providing electricity across Europe. 

Instead we've got folk clinging to the past and thinking sustaining O&G in perpetuity is a solution. It's not. 

People working in O&G have been and are being failed. 

Nearly everyone is getting into the wind game, so much so there's very little profit to be had. There's also recently been a cable laid between Norway and Britain so we can import electricity. We won't be exporting anything, even self sustaining is beyond us. 

While we're also importing oil and gas it makes no sense to cut back production for ourselves. We've also got decommissioning work on a big scale to come, the industry is far from dead, it will outlive any of us.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What should've been happening for a generation is the preparation for the transition to the renewables sector. Training schemes, greater incentives for renewables start-ups, proper subsidies for renewable electricity fed in to the grid. 

Scotland has something like 25% of all of Europe's wind. We should be a powerhouse of European energy. Providing electricity across Europe. 

Instead we've got folk clinging to the past and thinking sustaining O&G in perpetuity is a solution. It's not. 

I think the SNP claim its 25% if you add in tidal potential.

I also think they just made that figure up. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, NEM said:

They received 47.7% of the vote on a 63% turnout.  You could lump the Green voters in I suppose (they're not the full shilling either) but that still leaves you short

I hate this stat when its dished out. Purely trying to disguise the true facts.

SNP got 47.7% of the constitutional vote with a 1.2% increase swing

Conservatives got 21.9% of the constitutional vote with a 0.1 decrease swing

Labour got 21.6% of the constitutional vote with a 1% decrease swing

Greens got 1.3% of the constitutional vote with a 0.7% increase swing

Lib Dems got 6.9% of the constitutional vote with  a 0.9% decrease swing

Its entirely plausible that SNP gain votes from the electorate that may not wish to vote SNP on their policies but is overridden by the desire to be an independent nation.

If that were able to be achieved, its plausible that then the SNP would have much weaker strength of support.

9 minutes ago, daytripping said:

We won't be exporting anything, even self sustaining is beyond us. 

Scotland produced more energy than it needed from renewables last year, in pure percentage terms, I believe  

Due to it being from renewables, there are of course times when we've needed the non-renewable side to fill the gaps. 

England cant self-sustain though, I agree. It's there for luck that they've got friendly neighbours who'll sell them leccy 

41 minutes ago, Parklife said:

How can you have 25% of wind? Total makey upper.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, daytripping said:

I can tell you 100% that they are, more so the meeting to see which way things are going to go in the future. The well enhancement jobs and the like have all been shelved, the Nats risking and losing peoples jobs because they''re scared of committing to the future of the industry. 

You meant to type "because of  the UKs government energy policies", which I'm sure you know is not a devolved matter?

Just now, Parklife said:

You being an ignoramus doesn't mean things are made up. 

It's total pish. Does it start and end in Scotland? If it comes over the sea from Ireland to Scotland does that make it Irish or Scottish wind? What about English wind that blows over the border?

So sound like the Brexit lads you mock going on about British fish.

41 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I hate this stat when its dished out. Purely trying to disguise the true facts.

SNP got 47.7% of the constitutional vote with a 1.2% increase swing

Conservatives got 21.9% of the constitutional vote with a 0.1 decrease swing

Labour got 21.6% of the constitutional vote with a 1% decrease swing

Greens got 1.3% of the constitutional vote with a 0.7% increase swing

Lib Dems got 6.9% of the constitutional vote with  a 0.9% decrease swing

Its entirely plausible that SNP gain votes from the electorate that may not wish to vote SNP on their policies but is overridden by the desire to be an independent nation.

If that were able to be achieved, its plausible that then the SNP would have much weaker strength of support.

The true fact is they didn't receive a majority of the vote.  No attempt to disguise anything.

Remainder of your post is meaningless drivel

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

The true fact is they didn't receive a majority of the vote.  No attempt to disguise anything.

Remainder of your post is meaningless drivel

Agreed, it was not a majority of the vote, but more than double the nearest opposition, in fact more than the two largest opposition parties (Conservative and Labour) combined.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Agreed, it was not a majority of the vote, but more than double the nearest opposition, in fact more than the two largest opposition parties (Conservative and Labour) combined.

All well and good but absolutely nothing to do with the point I made

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Scotland produced more energy than it needed from renewables last year, in pure percentage terms, I believe  

Due to it being from renewables, there are of course times when we've needed the non-renewable side to fill the gaps. 

England cant self-sustain though, I agree. It's there for luck that they've got friendly neighbours who'll sell them leccy 

They've a brand new shiny cable from Norway that cost £2 billion to do that, they don't need us.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It is. 

Got a link for that?

You have to challenge that Scotland gets 25% of ALL of Europe's wind.

To be honest, even harnessing the wind energy at 25% is questionable.

I did see a partial wind map for Europe that shows the wind strength in Scotland is greater. Not sure why they've missed out Norwar, Sweden and other European nations

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Got a link for that?

I did see a partial wind map for Europe that shows the wind strength in Scotland is greater. Not sure why they've missed out Norwar, Sweden and other European nations

spacer.png

Probably EU countries at the time

7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Got a link for that?

spacer.png

I'll look for a link when I get time over the weekend. Can't mind where I read it. 

For the past 2 years Scotland has already generated around 100% of the power we need. There's no reason we shouldn't be building upon that and exporting it to Europe. The technology to enable this to be done more efficiently will come but we as a country should be investing in this as heavily as possible IMO.