Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Got told at a meeting yesterday the work on the oil side of the business has died because no one is signing contracts for new work till after the climate change meeting, the greens getting into bed with the nats and the latter not being positive about  O & G has changed the policy of many companies. How on earth anyone can vote for them when they're looking like throwing the North East to the wolves is beyond me. They based the last independence maths on oil, now they won't even endorse it. Who pays for the Country now. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Please

On 12/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, Captain Caveman said:

Funniest moment you had in 2019( tell us your best moment) editors prize for best story- on holiday in October I was walking along the resort beach after a night of over indulging the all inclusive food and drink, a sudden rush of needing a shit hit me with no alternative other than go in the sea. This was made difficult by the lifeguards being about every 150 yards on chairs, a casual stroll out sea was followed by the shorts being dropped. A quick gauge of the tide and I found the place to drop, well the first delivery must’ve been about a foot long, a magnificent specimen that to my horror also floated perfectly. Panicked I watched this foot long toldie starting to float towards a family who were about 30 yards away. My only option was a quick pincer movement with thumb and forefinger to cut the big fella in half. Still he wouldn’t sink though and a further 2 cuts were required before he sank sufficiently. A second shit of impressive stature was soon delivered but thankfully sank on delivery. A quick sea water wash up and i walked back to shore to be greeted by the family who were close to disaster with the usual “lovely day for being in the sea chat” it certainly is was my retort.

Gets stranger every time you read it.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, daytripping said:

Got told at a meeting yesterday the work on the oil side of the business has died because no one is signing contracts for new work till after the climate change meeting, the greens getting into bed with the nats and the latter not being positive about  O & G has changed the policy of many companies. How on earth anyone can vote for them when they're looking like throwing the North East to the wolves is beyond me. They based the last independence maths on oil, now they won't even endorse it. Who pays for the Country now. 

You think that oil companies are waiting on a global climate change meeting because the Greens in Scotland will be dictating existing and future North Sea policy? ?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, davieb said:

You think that oil companies are waiting on a global climate change meeting because the Greens in Scotland will be dictating existing and future North Sea policy? ?

I can tell you 100% that they are, more so the meeting to see which way things are going to go in the future. The well enhancement jobs and the like have all been shelved, the Nats risking and losing peoples jobs because they''re scared of committing to the future of the industry. 

3 minutes ago, daytripping said:

I can tell you 100% that they are, more so the meeting to see which way things are going to go in the future. The well enhancement jobs and the like have all been shelved, the Nats risking and losing peoples jobs because they''re scared of committing to the future of the industry. 

Anybody supporting the SNP In the NE are like turkeys voting for Xmas.

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

The worst of it is this is all about appearances for the nats, they can't afford to not have a O & G Industry, they just don't want anything to do with it while the meeting is held here. They're really fucking with peoples jobs to try and look squeaky clean, that's the real reason they got the greens onboard. They're not even invited to the meeting, she'll maybe get a job making tea and stuff but won't be at the top table with Boris. 

O&G is dying. Rightly so. 

What should've been happening for a generation is the preparation for the transition to the renewables sector. Training schemes, greater incentives for renewables start-ups, proper subsidies for renewable electricity fed in to the grid. 

Scotland has something like 25% of all of Europe's wind. We should be a powerhouse of European energy. Providing electricity across Europe. 

Instead we've got folk clinging to the past and thinking sustaining O&G in perpetuity is a solution. It's not. 

People working in O&G have been and are being failed. 

3 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

I think everyone in O&G knows it is a finite resource and has already lost it’s appeal for the”younger” generation. 

However, Sturgeon stalling on the Cambo field development and getting the Greens onboard to push through IndyRef2 has put the shivers up Oil companies wanting to drill exploration wells or redevelop existing fields in the North Sea. The future confidence of O&G up here was already fragile due to higher lifting costs. 
How many companies are now going to invest R&D resources up here when there is a good chance licences will not be granted. Far better to invest in other areas of Africa or Middle East where there is less political interference. 

And whilst it would be future utopia living off solar and wave power, these things are very expensive, and crucially very expensive to store this power or export for sale. 

3 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

I think everyone in O&G knows it is a finite resource and has already lost it’s appeal for the”younger” generation. 

However, Sturgeon stalling on the Cambo field development and getting the Greens onboard to push through IndyRef2 has put the shivers up Oil companies wanting to drill exploration wells or redevelop existing fields in the North Sea. The future confidence of O&G up here was already fragile due to higher lifting costs. 
How many companies are now going to invest R&D resources up here when there is a good chance licences will not be granted. Far better to invest in other areas of Africa or Middle East where there is less political interference. 

And whilst it would be future utopia living off solar and wave power, these things are very expensive, and crucially very expensive to store this power or export for sale. 

Anything we do to cut back oil will just be made up for by China,Russia,Middle East etc.

They think it's hilarious and treat us like mugs.

The SNP and their poodles The Greens have done us up like a kipper.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Joe pike said:

Anything we do to cut back oil will just be made up for by China,Russia,Middle East etc.

They think it's hilarious and treat us like mugs.

The SNP and their poodles The Greens have done us up like a kipper.

To be fair, UK/Scotland’s oil production numbers even at full pelt is never going to worry the superpowers mentioned above. 

But it is hugely important for jobs up here and also energy imports to the UK which we don’t want. 

It is reducing and that’s fair enough. But Sturgeon on Cambo and the Greens has threatened any growth (to offset reductions) in the future 5/10 years. 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What should've been happening for a generation is the preparation for the transition to the renewables sector. Training schemes, greater incentives for renewables start-ups, proper subsidies for renewable electricity fed in to the grid. 

Scotland has something like 25% of all of Europe's wind. We should be a powerhouse of European energy. Providing electricity across Europe. 

Instead we've got folk clinging to the past and thinking sustaining O&G in perpetuity is a solution. It's not. 

Nearly everyone is getting into the wind game, so much so there's very little profit to be had. There's also recently been a cable laid between Norway and Britain so we can import electricity. We won't be exporting anything, even self sustaining is beyond us. 

While we're also importing oil and gas it makes no sense to cut back production for ourselves. We've also got decommissioning work on a big scale to come, the industry is far from dead, it will outlive any of us.  

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think the SNP claim its 25% if you add in tidal potential.

I also think they just made that figure up. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, NEM said:

They received 47.7% of the vote on a 63% turnout.  You could lump the Green voters in I suppose (they're not the full shilling either) but that still leaves you short

I hate this stat when its dished out. Purely trying to disguise the true facts.

SNP got 47.7% of the constitutional vote with a 1.2% increase swing

Conservatives got 21.9% of the constitutional vote with a 0.1 decrease swing

Labour got 21.6% of the constitutional vote with a 1% decrease swing

Greens got 1.3% of the constitutional vote with a 0.7% increase swing

Lib Dems got 6.9% of the constitutional vote with  a 0.9% decrease swing

Its entirely plausible that SNP gain votes from the electorate that may not wish to vote SNP on their policies but is overridden by the desire to be an independent nation.

If that were able to be achieved, its plausible that then the SNP would have much weaker strength of support.

9 minutes ago, daytripping said:

We won't be exporting anything, even self sustaining is beyond us. 

Scotland produced more energy than it needed from renewables last year, in pure percentage terms, I believe  

Due to it being from renewables, there are of course times when we've needed the non-renewable side to fill the gaps. 

England cant self-sustain though, I agree. It's there for luck that they've got friendly neighbours who'll sell them leccy 

41 minutes ago, Parklife said:

How can you have 25% of wind? Total makey upper.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, daytripping said:

You meant to type "because of  the UKs government energy policies", which I'm sure you know is not a devolved matter?

Just now, Parklife said:

You being an ignoramus doesn't mean things are made up. 

It's total pish. Does it start and end in Scotland? If it comes over the sea from Ireland to Scotland does that make it Irish or Scottish wind? What about English wind that blows over the border?

So sound like the Brexit lads you mock going on about British fish.

41 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I hate this stat when its dished out. Purely trying to disguise the true facts.

SNP got 47.7% of the constitutional vote with a 1.2% increase swing

Conservatives got 21.9% of the constitutional vote with a 0.1 decrease swing

Labour got 21.6% of the constitutional vote with a 1% decrease swing

Greens got 1.3% of the constitutional vote with a 0.7% increase swing

Lib Dems got 6.9% of the constitutional vote with  a 0.9% decrease swing

Its entirely plausible that SNP gain votes from the electorate that may not wish to vote SNP on their policies but is overridden by the desire to be an independent nation.

If that were able to be achieved, its plausible that then the SNP would have much weaker strength of support.

The true fact is they didn't receive a majority of the vote.  No attempt to disguise anything.

Remainder of your post is meaningless drivel