Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

The true fact is they didn't receive a majority of the vote.  No attempt to disguise anything.

Remainder of your post is meaningless drivel

Agreed, it was not a majority of the vote, but more than double the nearest opposition, in fact more than the two largest opposition parties (Conservative and Labour) combined.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Scotland produced more energy than it needed from renewables last year, in pure percentage terms, I believe  

Due to it being from renewables, there are of course times when we've needed the non-renewable side to fill the gaps. 

England cant self-sustain though, I agree. It's there for luck that they've got friendly neighbours who'll sell them leccy 

They've a brand new shiny cable from Norway that cost £2 billion to do that, they don't need us.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It is. 

Got a link for that?

You have to challenge that Scotland gets 25% of ALL of Europe's wind.

To be honest, even harnessing the wind energy at 25% is questionable.

I did see a partial wind map for Europe that shows the wind strength in Scotland is greater. Not sure why they've missed out Norwar, Sweden and other European nations

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Got a link for that?

I did see a partial wind map for Europe that shows the wind strength in Scotland is greater. Not sure why they've missed out Norwar, Sweden and other European nations

spacer.png

Probably EU countries at the time

7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Got a link for that?

spacer.png

I'll look for a link when I get time over the weekend. Can't mind where I read it. 

For the past 2 years Scotland has already generated around 100% of the power we need. There's no reason we shouldn't be building upon that and exporting it to Europe. The technology to enable this to be done more efficiently will come but we as a country should be investing in this as heavily as possible IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'll look for a link when I get time over the weekend. Can't mind where I read it. 

For the past 2 years Scotland has already generated around 100% of the power we need. There's no reason we shouldn't be building upon that and exporting it to Europe. The technology to enable this to be done more efficiently will come but we as a country should be investing in this as heavily as possible IMO. 

Where's the money coming from to invest? We'd be running at a huge deficit, we'd struggle to pay our old people pensions and benefits to the scroungers and disabled. Have we a huge sofa with dosh down the cushion?? If England closed the border you'd have Scots in Dinghies trying to reach Norway, I'm not even joking about that, we'd have no currency of our own and no one would lend us money. Even food banks would close as people wouldn't be able to afford to donate. Fucking mountains of rubbish and power cuts, the place would be apocalyptic. 

Just now, daytripping said:

Where's the money coming from to invest? We'd be running at a huge deficit, we'd struggle to pay our old people pensions and benefits to the scroungers and disabled. Have we a huge sofa with dosh down the cushion?? If England closed the border you'd have Scots in Dinghies trying to reach Norway, I'm not even joking about that, we'd have no currency of our own and no one would lend us money. Even food banks would close as people wouldn't be able to afford to donate. Fucking mountains of rubbish and power cuts, the place would be apocalyptic. 

Oh man ?

10 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Well explain or prove to me that Scotland has 25% of "Europe's wind"

You repeating it doesn't make it true or add validity to it either.

The wind must be very intelligent, it drops at the English border according to that map. 

People need only look at their power bills, surely everyone has had constant letters about price increases? Renewable's cost a fortune and are not reliable, the less we use conventional means the more power will cost. In the rush to go green we'll see old people dying in their homes as they won't be able to afford heating. That's this year, the future will only see worse.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, davieb said:

They do, at full capacity the line supplies 1.4 GW, which is the equivalent of one power station, a drop in the ocean compared to what Scotland exports to England

Hahaha, that's one fucking mega size Nuclear power station there!! 

Scotland produces expensive electricity, that's fact. This new line will actually save every household in Britain money as it's cheap, that's fact as well. Where will England go shopping for more? 

10 minutes ago, davieb said:

They do, at full capacity the line supplies 1.4 GW, which is the equivalent of one power station, a drop in the ocean compared to what Scotland exports to England

BTW, Google can be your friend but unlike you I'll rely on over 30 years knowledge of the industry. Windmills will kill old people should be the advertising slogan for the Nats/Greens, that's the fact of where their policies are taking us. Unaffordable energy. 

2 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The wind must be very intelligent, it drops at the English border according to that map. 

People need only look at their power bills, surely everyone has had constant letters about price increases? Renewable's cost a fortune and are not reliable, the less we use conventional means the more power will cost. In the rush to go green we'll see old people dying in their homes as they won't be able to afford heating. That's this year, the future will only see worse.

Utterly clueless, the increase in your electricity bills is down to the wholesale price of electricity.

"Unfortunately, against this backdrop I am today alerting customers that global prices for fossil fuels, especially gas, are increasing at an unprecedented rate. Ultimately this will feed into all customer energy bills in the UK."

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/news-and-views/blog/energy-bills-are-rising-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

"Renewables cost a fortune" ... more bollocks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, daytripping said:

BTW, Google can be your friend but unlike you I'll rely on over 30 years knowledge of the industry. Windmills will kill old people should be the advertising slogan for the Nats/Greens, that's the fact of where their policies are taking us. Unaffordable energy. 

Mate, I've worked in the utilities sector for the past 20 years including as a systems analyst for both the national grid and BNFL, clueless fucker!

You think 1.4 GW is a lot, that tells me all I need to know ?

• Upvote 4