Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, patrick bateman said:

Can you point to the mandate?

Cos I think you'll find that it is very much disputed by many parties in Scotland.

If the snp hold a referendum that is not legally binding, it will be carnage, as the independence side would win a huge majority on a smaller turnout by far than 2014.

The messaging will be don't vote in this from those who oppose separation.

Never really understood the reluctance to use separatist, always sounds cool when attached to Basques and eta.(terrorist tho they are) 

The mandate is that the majority in the Scottish parliament is held by a pro Independence Party. 

If the majority of Scot's vote for a party that want independence, that's a mandate for that policy. 

Last years Scottish Elections were a record turnout, more people than ever voted in those elections, and the SNP got a devastating majority. 

The only way that can't be construed as a mandate is if you redetermine what the word mandate means. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, Betty Swallicks said:

I'm not for independence but I'm not all for British Nationalism, that was my point. Its not all black and white. 

Good idea from you though, it doesn't matter, take a step back, chill.

Ok, you're not. I never suggested you were? 

I made the observation that many unionists criticise independence  voters for being Nats, but are Nats themselves, to different ideals. 

26 minutes ago, CCB III said:

The mandate is that the majority in the Scottish parliament is held by a pro Independence Party. 

If the majority of Scot's vote for a party that want independence, that's a mandate for that policy. 

Last years Scottish Elections were a record turnout, more people than ever voted in those elections, and the SNP got a devastating majority. 

The only way that can't be construed as a mandate is if you redetermine what the word mandate means. 

I would not redetermine mandate.

Its hard to get an exact number on it cos I have no idea about the constitutional position of the fringe parties like the Scottish family party or ukip.

However, the record turnout resulted in the 3 main independence parties gaining less votes than the 3 main other parties in both constituency and region votes.

So does that constitute a mandate, which as you've stated cannot be disputed? 

We're talking about a minority in the last parliamentary election in Scotland.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

I would not redetermine mandate.

Its hard to get an exact number on it cos I have no idea about the constitutional position of the fringe parties like the Scottish family party or ukip.

However, the record turnout resulted in the 3 main independence parties gaining less votes than the 3 main other parties in both constituency and region votes.

So does that constitute a mandate, which as you've stated cannot be disputed? 

We're talking about a minority in the last parliamentary election in Scotland.

There is a pro independence majority in Holyrood. 

The Con party in England got around 13,000,000 votes last election. That was a clear mandate for them. Around 15,000,000 voters didn't vote for them. But, everyone accepts that there's a clear mandate for them to deliver all the shit they promised. 

Why is it different for Scottish parliament? 

Why the inconsistency?

29 minutes ago, CCB III said:

The Con party in England got around 13,000,000 votes last election. That was a clear mandate for them. Around 15,000,000 voters didn't vote for them. But, everyone accepts that there's a clear mandate for them to deliver all the shit they promised. 

Why the inconsistency?

How many voted for the Greens yet we are stuck with two in the Govt.

24 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Why the inconsistency?

There's no inconsistency from my perspective.

You said :

The reality is, she has a mandate. That's undisputed.

Whether I believe that parliamentary election results provide a mandate or not is not the point at hand.

Whether it is undisputed is.

Which is your position.

As the parties who make up that parliamentary majority (plus alba) did not receive the majority of the votes cast, does a minority of votes equate to an undisputed mandate.

Many would disagree.

1 minute ago, patrick bateman said:

There's no inconsistency from my perspective.

You said :

The reality is, she has a mandate. That's undisputed.

Whether I believe that parliamentary election results provide a mandate or not is not the point at hand.

Whether it is undisputed is.

Which is your position.

As the parties who make up that parliamentary majority (plus alba) did not receive the majority of the votes cast, does a minority of votes equate to an undisputed mandate.

Many would disagree.

So what's the point in our democracy then? It works on a seat/constituency basis. 

Well, if parliamentary election results don't provide a mandate for the party with the most seats, then what's the fucking point in voting? 

The SNP/Greens have the majority. They are independence parties. 

That's how our democracy works, that's how it works UK wide, too. That's indisputable. 

Unless you're pushing for political reform, which I don't think you are, then I'm not sure I see your point. 

9 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

How many voted for the Greens yet we are stuck with two in the Govt.

How many Scot's voted for Brexit yet we aren't in the EU? 

How many Scots wanted a Tory PM but ended up with one?

What you've just described there is literally the situation Scotland is in every time there's a GE. Wake up min. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

How many Scot's voted for Brexit yet we aren't in the EU? 

How many Scots wanted a Tory PM but ended up with one?

What you've just described there is literally the situation Scotland is in every time there's a GE. Wake up min. 

You actually want Indepenence from the UK but as soon as that happens you want to give away independence to the undemocratic EU.

Makes sense.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Joe pike said:

You actually want Indepenence from the UK but as soon as that happens you want to give away independence to the undemocratic EU.

Makes sense.

Because they know won't be able handle it alone. 

Fuck this mince.  The Supreme Court will shite all over Spunkgun and she'll be put back in her box.  Fuckin' corrupt little lezbo trout.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Makes sense.

I've no dog in this fight but...

You want out of the undemocratic EU but want Scotland to stay in the undemocratic (for it) UK.

This argument makes no sense.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Makes sense.

I want Scotland to be part of the single market and allow for freedom of movement. 

That's not to say I don't have issues with other parts of the EU. 

You think the EU is undemocratic but not the UK?

Alrighty then. 

8 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Because they know won't be able handle it alone. 

Fuck this mince.  The Supreme Court will shite all over Spunkgun and she'll be put back in her box.  Fuckin' corrupt little lezbo trout.

You're a disgusting, fat, bigoted cunt. 

Hopefully your next coronary is your last. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, CCB III said:

I want Scotland to be part of the single market and allow for freedom of movement. 

That's not to say I don't have issues with other parts of the EU. 

You think the EU is undemocratic but not the UK?

Alrighty then. 

To be in the Single market you need to accept freedom of movement und unlimited immigration.

Just now, CCB III said:

I forgot you're thick as fuck. 

Consi you’re the one who has had 2 or 3 options on every subject you have discussed in the past few days.

Been all over the place and said sorry about 4 or 5 times after grudgingly admitting you were wrong.

Latest being with your trans mates.

1 minute ago, Joe pike said:

Consi you’re the one who has had 2 or 3 options on every subject you have discussed in the past few days.

Been all over the place and said sorry about 4 or 5 times after grudgingly admitting you were wrong.

Latest being with your trans mates.

Conceded a point to Boof. That's about it. 

It's unsurprising to me someone of your intellectual capacity thinks Moobs is someone making good points.