Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

So what's the point in our democracy then? It works on a seat/constituency basis. 

Well, if parliamentary election results don't provide a mandate for the party with the most seats, then what's the fucking point in voting? 

The SNP/Greens have the majority. They are independence parties. 

That's how our democracy works, that's how it works UK wide, too. That's indisputable. 

Unless you're pushing for political reform, which I don't think you are, then I'm not sure I see your point. 

You just say things don't you.

Words and meaning matter.

Maybe not to you per se but in general.

For the avoidance of doubt, I've not said whether she does or does not have a mandate, I have said it's something that can be disputed and I believe I have evidenced that.

"If the majority of Scot's vote for a party that want independence, that's a mandate for that policy. "

They didn't (and if I was being a pedant, we'd have to ask all the people called Scot to find out.)

So how does that impact on the undisputed mandate that you claim that Nicola Sturgeon has...

So she gets up and says 

This is my bill

Sarwar or Ross or both say it's not the will of the people you got less than 50 percent of the vote with your partners in government.

She goes 

I have the votes here, the bill will pass. Fuck you.

And Lorna slater has a nap cos she's not able to do more than one thing a day.

Or words to that effect.

That's how a parliamentary democracy works.

I appreciate that being brought up in Scotland at a time when we don't have a functioning democracy, more a dictatorship means this might not be recognisable to you.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

It is sparsely populated, but is incredibly short in terms of housing.

there is literally dozens of hotels in Glasgow alone which are rammed full of homeless Scots, never mind the the hotels housing asylum seekers.

About half the country is owned by trust funds and elite cunts, happy to let us live in slums while they use the land for going shooting and carbon credits. LOL.

8 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

You just say things don't you.

Words and meaning matter.

Maybe not to you per se but in general.

For the avoidance of doubt, I've not said whether she does or does not have a mandate, I have said it's something that can be disputed and I believe I have evidenced that.

"If the majority of Scot's vote for a party that want independence, that's a mandate for that policy. "

They didn't (and if I was being a pedant, we'd have to ask all the people called Scot to find out.)

So how does that impact on the undisputed mandate that you claim that Nicola Sturgeon has...

So she gets up and says 

This is my bill

Sarwar or Ross or both say it's not the will of the people you got less than 50 percent of the vote with your partners in government.

She goes 

I have the votes here, the bill will pass. Fuck you.

And Lorna slater has a nap cos she's not able to do more than one thing a day.

Or words to that effect.

That's how a parliamentary democracy works.

I appreciate that being brought up in Scotland at a time when we don't have a functioning democracy, more a dictatorship means this might not be recognisable to you.

If a political party is voted into power for over a decade, in the parliamentary systems used, they have a fuckin mandate. That's indisputable. Simply put. 

It's a mandate if it's the UK gov, so it's a mandate if it's the Scottish government. 

I don't see any unionist parties asking for reform? Why do you think that is? 

How can you criticise ScotGov as a non functioning democracy, but hope that Scotland stays in the UK, where our democratic interests are categorically not represented? Like it's not even up for debate, it's less democratic for Scotland to be in the UK, than it would be to leave. 

It's like you're not living in the same country as the rest of us. 

12 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Which countries are on the mend, and where are the figures for this to show they are on the mend?

If Brexit didn't happen, I suspect we would be in the same shitty position we are right now, if I'm honest.

Covid and the way it has been handled is an absolute shambles.

I'm not saying Brexit hasn't been, but countries all over the world shafted more to do with Covid than Brexit.

Again I'm not for Brexit but it's an easy go to for many who don't support it.

I Will moan about rising costs all over but deep down, fuck all I can do, so I'll continue paying them and get on with my life.

Germany and France, fair comparisons and both in the EU, haven't shrunk as much as us. 

COVID yes, a huge disaster. Brexit is the cherry on the top of that shit cake, tho. 

You'd think the ability to trade with the world now, would offset some of the stagnation. 

If Brexit isn't useful to us in this situation, then what was the point? 

6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Eh?

Im talking in the event of an independent Scotland. 

My point is that the government pushing for this independence are the ones that are partly responsible for this situation. You mentioned Scotland being sparsely populated, it will take time and money to get the proper infrastructures in place to support the immigration being mentioned above  

1 minute ago, DD1903 said:

My point is that the government pushing for this independence are the ones that are partly responsible for this situation. You mentioned Scotland being sparsely populated, it will take time and money to get the proper infrastructures in place to support the immigration being mentioned above  

Yes, I know they are. 

But the WM gov aren't going to sort it either. 

Hence my want for Indy. 

1 hour ago, Joe pike said:

Less houses

Lower wages

Back to Barista work for you.

Less houses - pedantic but should be fewer.
Why not build more houses?

Plus, you could balance out the EU immigration by admitting fewer non EU people eg people from Bangladesh or Pakistan, which if we are being honest, is what a lot of misguided Brexit voters wanted and thought they were getting. The daft sods. 

Lower wages - no evidence for this presumably? It will help our economy by filling jobs currently unfilled. Retail, care sector, agriculture, hospitality etc. 

You could also argue higher wages equals higher prices but that’s too much of a grey area for me on the correct balance. 

Didn’t you like all the sexy Polish and Latvian ladies working in Aberdeen? 

Guest milne_afc
1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

I think the Supreme Court will rule it illegal and so Sturgeon will have to resort to her fall-back option of then fighting the next Scottish elections on a single issue case of independence. 

Jim Sillars reckons the SC will deny it too, but also says that will galvanise the campaign.

Indy is inevitable.

7 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

Less houses - pedantic but should be fewer.
Why not build more houses?

Plus, you could balance out the EU immigration by admitting fewer non EU people eg people from Bangladesh or Pakistan, which if we are being honest, is what a lot of misguided Brexit voters wanted and thought they were getting. The daft sods. 

Lower wages - no evidence for this presumably? It will help our economy by filling jobs currently unfilled. Retail, care sector, agriculture, hospitality etc. 

You could also argue higher wages equals higher prices but that’s too much of a grey area for me on the correct balance. 

Didn’t you like all the sexy Polish and Latvian ladies working in Aberdeen? 

There are at least 5 hotels being used in Aberdeen for refugees.

The Brentwood has about 100.

Unsustainable

2 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

There are at least 5 hotels being used in Aberdeen for refugees.

The Brentwood has about 100.

Unsustainable

Indeed.

We should process their applications at an appropriate speed, while also letting them work and contribute to the community while they await the outcome. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CCB III said:

The mandate is that the majority in the Scottish parliament is held by a pro Independence Party. 

If the majority of Scot's vote for a party that want independence, that's a mandate for that policy. 

Last years Scottish Elections were a record turnout, more people than ever voted in those elections, and the SNP got a devastating majority. 

The only way that can't be construed as a mandate is if you redetermine what the word mandate means. 

Except they didn’t 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, NEM said:

Except they didn’t 

SNP have 23 more seats than the closest competitor, Scot Tories. If you want to be technical, independence parties have 25 more seats than the closest party, Scot Tories. 

Are you advocating for political reform? 

Edit;

Are Labour and Conservative the same party now? In Scotland anyway? Does everyone who wants Indy vote for the SNP? And does everyone who wants UK vote lab/Con? 

Hard to know. WhT we do know is, Labour and Conservatives combined for roughly the same votes as the Scottish national party. 

Mandate indeed

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

You're a disgusting, fat, bigoted cunt. 

Hopefully your next coronary is your last. 

Tut tut mr nice guy shining through again. Second time in a few days you’ve wished death on another poster 

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

I'd put money on beachend croaking before then. 

Not exactly the picture of health yourself judging by that cringe pic version 1 posted. I sehs yer a fat cunt 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

SNP have 23 more seats than the closest competitor, Scot Tories. If you want to be technical, independence parties have 25 more seats than the closest party, Scot Tories. 

Are you advocating for political reform? 

“If the majority of Scot’s vote for a party that want independence that’s a mandate”

Your words, didn’t happen, end of your argument. Guten tag Herr Consi

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, NEM said:

Tut tut mr nice guy shining through again. Second time in a few days you’ve wished death on another poster 

Not exactly the picture of health yourself judging by that cringe pic version 1 posted. I sehs yer a fat cunt 

I don't care if you think I'm nice or not. 

CS is a danger. BB is a fucking nasty cunt. I don't care what happens to either of these folk. 

And I was about 11.5 stone in that pic. 

I wouldn't say that's fat, but you think what you like

Just now, NEM said:

“If the majority of Scot’s vote for a party that want independence that’s a mandate”

Your words, didn’t happen, end of your argument. Guten tag Herr Consi

How do you know they didn't? 

Pb made a good point, we don't know.

In any case, the amount of seats won= mandate.