Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

Scotland has a bloated, over-sized and over-paid public sector which consumes vast resources while delivering piss poor standards.  And vanishingly few Scots are actually economically active - that is, working in real (non State) jobs which create wealth.  You know, relevant stuff.

If only we could vote for our own government that could actually change this. 

What's stopping the SNP from actually changing this now, or over the past however many years that they have been in power?

Do you think we have a better NHS service now in Scotland compared to say 10 years ago?

What timescales do you give an independent Scotland to actually change things? I personally think we are talking decades as opposed to years.

• Upvote 3
17 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

If only we could vote for our own government that could actually change this. 

The SNP directly control the size of the public sector in Scotland.  Like Labour before them, they use it as a means of buying client votes.

They are also disinclined to address its size and performance, as that would reveal the true nature of Scotland's economy and prospects.  The public sector here is used to massage unemployment figures ; many people are paid to sit in Council offices doing nothing, to keep them off the dole - a form of disguised welfare really.

The gross over-staffing of Councils etc is why the public sector performs so poorly and why we have such poor roads and services etc.  All of the money which is supposed to be used for these things is instead used to sustain as many non-jobs as possible, in order to keep the unemployment figures down.

Things are coming home to roost however, as the difficult financial situation the SNP has got itself into mean it is likely they will need to slash public sector jobs soon.  This is being portrayed as a "decimation" of jobs, but in fact these are not real jobs at all, but the kind of artificial jobs I mentioned above.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20186261.decimation-scots-public-sector-one-eight-jobs-face-axe-parts/

Really the model of Local Authorities and public services in Scotland is completely outmoded and not fit for purpose.  Councils ought to be largely dismantled and replaced by various private contractors who would be more accountable and do a better job, for less money.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Really the model of Local Authorities and public services in Scotland is completely outmoded and not fit for purpose.  Councils ought to be largely dismantled and replaced by various private contractors who would be more accountable and do a better job, for less money

Yeah, privatisation has worked so well with rail services, power companies, water boards, etc...

??

• Upvote 3
51 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The SNP directly control the size of the public sector in Scotland.  Like Labour before them, they use it as a means of buying client votes.

They are also disinclined to address its size and performance, as that would reveal the true nature of Scotland's economy and prospects.  The public sector here is used to massage unemployment figures ; many people are paid to sit in Council offices doing nothing, to keep them off the dole - a form of disguised welfare really.

The gross over-staffing of Councils etc is why the public sector performs so poorly and why we have such poor roads and services etc.  All of the money which is supposed to be used for these things is instead used to sustain as many non-jobs as possible, in order to keep the unemployment figures down.

Things are coming home to roost however, as the difficult financial situation the SNP has got itself into mean it is likely they will need to slash public sector jobs soon.  This is being portrayed as a "decimation" of jobs, but in fact these are not real jobs at all, but the kind of artificial jobs I mentioned above.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20186261.decimation-scots-public-sector-one-eight-jobs-face-axe-parts/

Really the model of Local Authorities and public services in Scotland is completely outmoded and not fit for purpose.  Councils ought to be largely dismantled and replaced by various private contractors who would be more accountable and do a better job, for less money.

Good morning CS. 

Can I ask for your evidence for the people paid to sit in council offices doing nothing comment please?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

SNP, labour, tories, none of them.... 

Get indy and vote for someone else. Easy.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, privatisation has worked so well with rail services, power companies, water boards, etc...

??

The (private) rail services have worked absolutely fine throughout my lifetime, and yet have fallen to bits within weeks of being nationalised by the SNP.

There is no comparison really.  Private companies seek to make a profit and they do this by delivering a good service which naturally attracts customers.  Its simple business.  On the other hand, Unions control public run services and they seek to do as little as possible, for as much money as possible, which naturally equates to a poorer service.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The (private) rail services have worked absolutely fine throughout my lifetime, and yet have fallen to bits within weeks of being nationalised by the SNP.

Nonsense. Rail services have been shocking and ridiculously expensive in Scotland for a very long time. 

There is no comparison really.  Private companies seek to make a profit and they do this by delivering a good service which naturally attracts customers. 

Fucking hell man. You think rail, water and power companies attract customers by delivering good service? ?

On the other hand, Unions control public run services and they seek to do as little as possible, for as much money as possible, which naturally equates to a poorer service.

Absolute drivel with no basis in reality. 

33 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Private companies seek to make a profit and they do this by delivering a good service which naturally attracts customers. .

Haha. You're at it?  The rail networks a monopoly. You either need to get a train or you don't. You put up with a shit service because it's still better than going by road.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Nonsense. Rail services have been shocking and ridiculously expensive in Scotland for a very long time. 

Oh boy. Privatisation of the rail network has massively improved things and this is a hill I am prepared to die on. Well maybe not die, but at least get a minor injury.

55 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Haha. You're at it?  The rail networks a monopoly. You either need to get a train or you don't. You put up with a shit service because it's still better than going by road.

It's a substitutable service, therefore it's in competition.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Fucking hell man. You think rail, water and power companies attract customers by delivering good service? ?

Absolute drivel with no basis in reality

He's prone to fantastical thinking. 

Not worth wasting grey matter on. 

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

There is no comparison really.  Private companies seek to make a profit and they do this by delivering a good service which naturally attracts customers.  Its simple business.  On the other hand, Unions control public run services and they seek to do as little as possible, for as much money as possible, which naturally equates to a poorer service.

If you'd read into this at all you'd know that it had been brewing for months, long before the SNP took it into public ownership. It was an inevitability. 

We're also unlikely to see the benefits of that public ownership for a few years yet. 

37 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

I think you Willie Wallace types have a better chance of Indyref2 if he's fucked off.  Surely he canna survive this one.

Looks like he's hanging from a very fragile thread .

Maybe Friday he'd be oot scoot .

Hopefully you're right about our chances if he goes mate.

3 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

Looks like he's hanging from a very fragile thread .

Maybe Friday he'd be oot scoot .

Hopefully you're right about our chances if he goes mate.

Aye, I think he's fucked.  Matter of days I'd say too like.

I hope I'm wrong on the last point tho but as a very good SNP friend of mine says, 'we winna fa' oot ower the heid o' politics.'

Unless it's CCBIII mind, coz he's a fuckin' prick.  I'd probably shag he's ma' tho??

• Haha 2