Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

Yup it's that easy cos mr meme says so.

When I asked you some not unreasonable questions the other day, you told me to fuck off.

Any time you get asked for details on anything it's no or it's a Facebook maw meme or some crackpot website.

You have no substance.

No intellectual rigour.

You can't think for yourself.

Sad, and unfortunately a reflection on the modern education system.

No its what happened google Malta then you might learn a thing or two but you unionist types don't like the truth.

Memes seems to upset you as well, maybe people can see a meme better than reading long posts of utter pish you sprout.

14 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

Yup it's that easy cos mr meme says so.

When I asked you some not unreasonable questions the other day, you told me to fuck off.

Any time you get asked for details on anything it's no or it's a Facebook maw meme or some crackpot website.

You have no substance.

No intellectual rigour.

You can't think for yourself.

Sad, and unfortunately a reflection on the modern education system.

Like a black fly, in your Chardonnay. 

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

Was following you till the crypto. 

Again, fairly ignorant about it all but very rarely am I seeing good things about it. It seems to be a type of Ponzi scheme, based on what I've looked into. Some folk got lucky at the start, but that's massively tailed off now, no? 

I get the idea of bitcoin, and what it's trying to do, but is there enough value/stability in it for a nation to use it as a source of currency for reals?

You'd make your own crypto backed by a fiat currency and a national government, completely different to bitcoin let alone what you rightly refer to as Ponzi schemes etc. Positives are vast. 

1 hour ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

1. It's conjecture, aye cos no-one has a crystal ball. It's reasonable to assume though, that state borrowing will be costlier certainly to begin with - market forces.

2. Couldnae agree more.

3. BOE will shape policy to the benefit of the English economy which will negate in large parts the control an independent Scottish government can have. Which is why a separate currency and central bank is fundamental.

1. Why the fuck is it reasonable to assume that? The £ is currently backed by our oil and gas, it's far far more reasonable to believe a Scottish £ would be stronger than an English £ straight off the bat. There's ain't much gold in the Bank of England these days...

3. I'm pro our own currency so won't argue the intricacies of that. 

48 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

El Salvador just made bitcoin legal tender.

Crypto is by its nature environmentally damaging.

But that's a different question.

That's classic unionist arguing. Don't refute a single point. Aye but El Salvador and eh Bitcoin is bad for the environment. 

Nobody said fuck all about El Salvador, or bitcoin. 

Crypto isn't bad for the environment. Certain block chains are, energy efficient ones can be designed, computers can be run off of green energy. All this is obvious.

I think you need to gain some science and computing literacy until then please do fuck off.  

1 hour ago, patrick bateman said:

You don't like being patronised.

You don't know what economic literacy is.

Here's a definition for you.

Economics is at the centre of public debate on everything from healthcare, to immigration, to the arts. Having the knowledge and confidence to engage in conversation about the economy is an essential skill for life. We call this economic literacy.

I'm talking about people understanding the terms of reference.

Knowing what is being discussed.

Economists disagree on everything.

There are wide ranging theories and different schools of thought, like anything of that type of endeavour.

Ok, so I had a surface level understanding of what a central bank is. 

And I was right to say Scotland could have its own. 

I don't think that suggests an economic illiteracy. 

Surely if you have an understanding of economics, you could suggest a way whereby Scotland could gain independence somehow? All you're doing is giving worst possible scenarios. 

What you're telling me is that you are choosing to believe certain economists, over other economists. 

I don't believe economic literacy is that essential considering we've got fuck all control over it anyway. It might be essential in discussing the particular matter of Scottish independence, and how our economy might look going forward, but whatever they decide to do- you and I will have fuck all control over it anyway. Economy is in a state right now due to forces outwith our control, there's been 2 recessions in my lifetime as well. How much you know about the economy has no relevance to these happenings. 

What can I do if inflation goes up? What can I do if all the banks go bust again and all my savings go? what can I do if the price of oil is $2000000 a gallon? 

The idea that economics is something to be studied and learned has always baffled me. They make it out like is a physics equation, use alienating language to the every day man so they stay ignorant to the fundamental truth- they are getting fucked in the arse

The only thing I'm getting from the unionist side here is; 

Unless everything is known for certain there's no point in going it alone, even if we're fairly certain it'll continue to be shite stuck in the UK. 

It's like they want absolutely guaranteed no risk. As if that's ever possible to promise. 

For Scotlands economy long term; 

Full control over our own natural resources 

Hopefully a return to the single market 

The ability to borrow like all other sovereign nations 

Not all bad 

10 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

Bitcoin, the world's largest cryptocurrency, currently consumes an estimated 150 terawatt-hours of electricity annually — more than the entire country of Argentina, population 45 million.

So that's good for the environment is it...

No-one mentioned bitcoin you are showing yourself up here...

5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

The only thing I'm getting from the unionist side here is; 

Unless everything is known for certain there's no point in going it alone, even if we're fairly certain it'll continue to be shite stuck in the UK. 

It's like they want absolutely guaranteed no risk. As if that's ever possible to promise. 

For Scotlands economy long term; 

Full control over our own natural resources 

Hopefully a return to the single market 

The ability to borrow like all other sovereign nations 

Not all bad 

They don't even want to look at the negatives of the £. 

Constantly falling in value against other major currencies, backed up by Scottish Oil and Gas, service based economy at risk to automation and AI, lots of inward capital gain due to poor regulations against money laundering. 

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

They don't even want to look at the negatives of the £. 

Constantly falling in value against other major currencies, backed up by Scottish Oil and Gas, service based economy at risk to automation and AI, lots of inward capital gain due to poor regulations against money laundering. 

The guys a cunt. 

Not refuted a single point. 

• Upvote 1

I'd like to state, in fairness, I have very little interest in the specifics of the economy, how it functions. I understand the principles of capitalism, and as you all know it's not something I'm in favour of. Inflation etc I have a base understanding of, like I know if they print too much money it loses its value.

I know the pound used to be backed against gold, but no longer is. I know the high rates of borrowing by people who couldn't afford it, caused the economy to collapse in 2008.

Anyway, someone give me a book to read that can help further my understanding. 

PB defo stung my ego ?

27 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

1. Why the fuck is it reasonable to assume that? The £ is currently backed by our oil and gas, it's far far more reasonable to believe a Scottish £ would be stronger than an English £ straight off the bat. There's ain't much gold in the Bank of England these days...

Because inherently we'd have to borrow hugely to get the infrastructure in place - kicking aff with a large national debt vs GDP. I tend to agree the long term prospects favour independence but Initially there will be a price to pay for it.

My whole point aboot this is political - that not providing a clear plan on the currency debate will fuck up the independence vote again just as it did in 2014

8 hours ago, patrick bateman said:

Teaching it in school

People should have a basic understanding of economics and finance in order to properly manage their lives better.

The wealthiest people have access to people to do this for them.

The poorest don't , the easiest way to assist and bridge that divide is through education imo.

you are pretty condescending about other posters comments - what are your qualifications/education ?   

On 6/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, CCB III said:

Why are people who think Scotland would be better off independent, nats?

Yet, pro union, folks who like being British, aren't nationalists? 

To be a country that runs your own affairs is normal.

I'd say those who support such a scenario are "normalists".

On the other hand, the nationalism of the Brit supporters ranges from stealth rabid to 100% rabid type.

Whether that be some senile old fuck supporting royalty, some fuckwit soldier/ex-soldier, your basic hun simpleton, or just a clueless, traitorous buffoon, they all fit in there somewhere.

10 hours ago, patrick bateman said:

People should have a basic understanding of economics and finance in order to properly manage their lives better.

The wealthiest people have access to people to do this for them.

Yet you are happy for another country to run our affairs 

what a fucking zoomer

On 6/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, Beachend Bootboy said:

Because they know won't be able handle it alone. 

Not 100% sure what you actually trying to say here.
What I'm taking from it is that Scotland would not be able to exist alone?

When emancipated from the colonialist British state?

A state on the brink of fascism run by inbred, entitled morons?

Scotland would be unique as a country on the entire planet unable to run its own affairs?

It's an interesting shout.

Incredibly dumb though.

My apologies if I misconstrued what you were trying to say tho.

10 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Fucking nuts that folk still think this is even remotely similar.

No wonder Scotland is fucked.

They know fine well its not the same but any excuse will do for them.

like a few pages back when someone said Scotland can’t be independent because two ferries were late.

love to know if any other country going independent had to justify every aspect of it first?

8 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Not 100% sure what you actually trying to say here.
What I'm taking from it is that Scotland would not be able to exist alone?

When emancipated from the colonialist British state?

A state on the brink of fascism run by inbred, entitled morons?

Scotland would be unique as a country on the entire planet unable to run its own affairs?

It's an interesting shout.

Incredibly dumb though.

My apologies if I misconstrued what you were trying to say tho.

Correct.  Dumbness lies on the side of those who think otherwise.  You'll never know tho because it won't happen imo.

Never apologise.  It's a sign of weakness.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:19 PM, Redforever86 said:

About half the country is owned by trust funds and elite cunts, happy to let us live in slums while they use the land for going shooting and carbon credits. LOL.

Indeed.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:27 PM, DD1903 said:

A government more concerned with independence ?

As it should be.

The state Scotland finds itself in is absurd.

Ruled and administered from another country. An entirely separate nation.

How do you think the English would feel to be ruled from Edinburgh?

Or Dublin. Berlin. Paris?

How can one think that being ruled from London is in any way beneficial to the well being of Scots?
Why would they give a fuck about us?

Clue - they don't. We are their cash cow, as admitted in parliament by Raab.

If we were not thus, we'd be binned in a nanosecond, but we always have been.

An England devoid of resources and exportable commodities, we always will be dependent on others.

As they have clearly illustrated through their utterly rancid history.

12 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Correct.  Dumbness lies on the side of those who think otherwise.  You'll never know tho because it won't happen imo.

Never apologise.  It's a sign of weakness.

When you are dead you don't know you are dead all the pain is felt by others.

Same applies when your stupid

Just now, caledonia said:

When you are dead you don't know you are dead all the pain is felt by others.

Same applies when your stupid

You are blessed in such ignorance then my friend. All is well in your world.  Mine could be worse too. 

Ours paths are not so different.  In the end others are the only ones who'll judge us and God if you/they believe in such a conception. Have a nice day min.?