Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Are you disputing this?

Given your frivolous, deflective and randomly irrelevant response.

No, I'm not a history denier, tho it seems to be a common trait these days.  Just a (perhaps perceivedly poor) attempt at a bit of harmless and frivolous Sunday mornin' joshin', leg pullin' if you will.  

31 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

No, I'm not a history denier, tho it seems to be a common trait these days.  Just a (perhaps perceivedly poor) attempt at a bit of harmless and frivolous Sunday mornin' joshin', leg pullin' if you will.  

I'm coming round to quite liking you, being an original Beach Ender myself.
I'll get you round to >yes< soon enough. ?

11 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

1. Firstly that is conjecture, and secondly the "Scottish £" would be backed by oil and gas reserves, lots of exports, and huge potential in natural resources. There is absolutely nothing to suggest borrowing costs would be any higher than they currently are. 

2. We already heavily in debt, of course we wouldn't be if we had used our oil wealth fittingly and not had it squandered by Westminster. 

Third point, the Bank of England is independent from the government, it's role is to protect the currency, and stabilise inflation. If Scotland were to use Sterling, the BoE would take into account the usage of Sterling in Scotland in it's decisions, it would be mad not too. Not that I agree with using Sterling. 

Having our own currency would allow us to be more competitive in exporting if we wished to pursue that economic strategy and the cost of borrowing may even be lower than it is now! We could also join the Euro which is another thread entirely. 

Or maybe we could think even bigger and develop our own cyprto based currency, bringing real world benefits of transparency, accountability, faster and cheaper transactions. Because currently we give about 1.5%+ of every credit or debit card transaction to the shareholders of Mastercard or Visa, imagine what we could do with that revenue if we thought outside of the box. 

Small nations are proven to be more innovative see Estonia. 

I know there is no guarantee it would be the same government if we went independent, but are the current government not against new oil/gas exploration ? Even more so with the greens on board 

(I voted yes, and have never voted tory, Caledonia)

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I know there is no guarantee it would be the same government if we went independent, but are the current government not against new oil/gas exploration ? Even more so with the greens on board 

(I voted yes, and have never voted tory, Caledonia)

I don’t think they know what they want. At the time of the last referendum the greens were still ok with oil use for plastics etc. 

Id take it out the ground personally but it’s still there as an asset wether it is used or not. 

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Indeed.

As it should be.

The state Scotland finds itself in is absurd.

Ruled and administered from another country. An entirely separate nation.

How do you think the English would feel to be ruled from Edinburgh?

Or Dublin. Berlin. Paris?

How can one think that being ruled from London is in any way beneficial to the well being of Scots?
Why would they give a fuck about us?

Clue - they don't. We are their cash cow, as admitted in parliament by Raab.

If we were not thus, we'd be binned in a nanosecond, but we always have been.

An England devoid of resources and exportable commodities, we always will be dependent on others.

As they have clearly illustrated through their utterly rancid history.

I have mentioned the failings of the current Scottish gov many times in this and other threads. I get that they want independence (I voted yes myself), but after 14 or so years running the Scot gov, they have made error after error. The nhs is a mess (but that's ok cos it's a but better than England is in some parts), the ambulance service is a shambles, nationalised police has become a shambolic, political tool. Housing...shambles. Scottish education is now a joke, having not long ago been the envy of the world.

The irony is, for me, that the snp are the biggest obstacle to achieving what they so wish - if they could run the country well, and stop it the populist stuff, the lies and cover ups, people would get on board. 

until then I fear we will never get a yes vote. 

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I don’t think they know what they want. At the time of the last referendum the greens were still ok with oil use for plastics etc. 

Id take it out the ground personally but it’s still there as an asset wether it is used or not. 

That's part is the issue - they can't make up their mind. 

id keep taking it out the ground as well. Worth too much not to. But also keep developing renewables etc

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I have mentioned the failings of the current Scottish gov many times in this and other threads. I get that they want independence (I voted yes myself), but after 14 or so years running the Scot gov, they have made error after error. The nhs is a mess (but that's ok cos it's a but better than England is in some parts), the ambulance service is a shambles, nationalised police has become a shambolic, political tool. Housing...shambles. Scottish education is now a joke, having not long ago been the envy of the world.

The irony is, for me, that the snp are the biggest obstacle to achieving what they so wish - if they could run the country well, and stop it the populist stuff, the lies and cover ups, people would get on board. 

until then I fear we will never get a yes vote. 

Agree in near all of that.

The SNP fuck me off as well.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Difficult to disagree with any of that tbh.

12 hours ago, caledonia said:

Jesus christ what an arrogant cunt

You set up a central bank and issue a currency its not fucking rocket science.

All other countries that have gone independent have managed.

Malta set up a central bank straight away and did not use their own currency straight away.

No idea why he's so arrogant on here it's not good to see .

It's not that difficult to be polite to other posters .

15 hours ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Much better bands/groups over the years as well. No comparison.

Aye.

Think the only decent band I had to go to Dundee over the years that weren't playing Aberdeen was House of Love.

Fucking amazing gig tho, Fat Sams, still on Creation before shit went to fuck.
Loved that bar next door for pre-gig pintage.

14 hours ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

The SNP argument was that an independent Scotland as a centuries old contributor to the UK economy had every right to use sterling backed by the BOE -

Yeah, they did hold this view, but I hope to fuck their slant on this issue has evolved.

The only way forward is to have our own currency, independent from down south.

Otherwise we will be tied to their economic clusterfucks and also defenceless against attacks dictated by anglocentric, anti-Scotland policies.

11 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

You'd make your own crypto backed by a fiat currency and a national government, completely different to bitcoin let alone what you rightly refer to as Ponzi schemes etc. Positives are vast. 

1. Why the fuck is it reasonable to assume that? The £ is currently backed by our oil and gas, it's far far more reasonable to believe a Scottish £ would be stronger than an English £ straight off the bat. There's ain't much gold in the Bank of England these days...

3. I'm pro our own currency so won't argue the intricacies of that. 

That's classic unionist arguing. Don't refute a single point. Aye but El Salvador and eh Bitcoin is bad for the environment. 

Nobody said fuck all about El Salvador, or bitcoin. 

Crypto isn't bad for the environment. Certain block chains are, energy efficient ones can be designed, computers can be run off of green energy. All this is obvious.

I think you need to gain some science and computing literacy until then please do fuck off.  

In all my years of posting his replies are arrogant and condescending .

Not good to see.

6 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Why you always hating on baldy men? I thought you'd hate body shaming?  Such a narrow minded prejudice.

Ps. I'm not baldy, before you say it.

I'd just been called fat. 

So I called someone bald, in retaliation. 

Where have I said I hate body shaming? I think you're making assumptions. 

This shtick is getting boring and cringe now. 

Just now, CCB III said:

I'd just been called fat. 

So I called someone bald, in retaliation. 

Where have I said I hate body shaming? I think you're making assumptions. 

This shtick is getting boring and cringe now. 

You called me bald and fat.  You were only 50% correct.  Now fuck off and enjoy yer Sunday.

Lets be honest absolutely not one of the rabid posters on this thread including my self are going to change their minds on here.

We are just wasting days arguing about stuff most of us dont know and are just repeating from elsewhere whether it true or not.

Memes are the way to go as they are quick and others have to debunk them ?

• Haha 1