Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Do you think the SNP would magically disappear ?
Too many noses in the trough for that to happen.

I think the party would, yes. 

The party isn't politically aligned in the way tories/Labour are. 

I've no doubt some SNP members would be tories and others, Labour. Some would vote for other parties. 

Their unifying cause is independence, they'll all have varying ideas on how it should look after. 

11 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

I'm not getting involved in all the union or independence debate  but I do think it wouldn't be unimaginable that the first election after Scotland became independent, if it happens, wouldn't be contested by the parties we have just now as well as other newer ones that might form. 
I agree that in time the SNP and what it stands for just now will not be required but I think that'll all develop further down the line. 
That being the case, if there was a legal referendum and we became independent, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SNP win our first general election and Sturgeon being the first First Minister of the country. It'll depend on whether she wants to keep going and has the stamina for it all. 

Personally, I think she'd give up the reigns. It's impossible to say because it's all hypothetical. 

I also think she's a democrat, and would call an election not long after. 

2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Personally, I think she'd give up the reigns. It's impossible to say because it's all hypothetical. 

I also think she's a democrat, and would call an election not long after. 

I'm not sure if you are countering an argument where you think I said she wouldn't call an election pretty quickly?

If she did I think it's even more likely that a quick election would see the party lines pretty much as they are just now. 

8 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

I'm not sure if you are countering an argument where you think I said she wouldn't call an election pretty quickly?

If she did I think it's even more likely that a quick election would see the party lines pretty much as they are just now. 

Not countering,  bud. Just saying what I think. 

Let's hope we find out!

Just now, For Fecks Sake said:

So why do you always keep on refering to the Tories / Unionist in that case? 

They are just observations. 

I'm not basing my yes vote on party politics, if I was, it wouldn't be a vote for SNP. 

It seems many are determined to say No because they dislike the SNP. I also dislike the SNP, but that's not the question at hand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

So why do you always keep on refering to the Tories / Unionist in that case? 

Any update on what made you vote for the Conservatives yet

Or does the above indicate you don't want to talk about it?

Yet your very quick to talk about what others vote for.

27 minutes ago, caledonia said:

Any update on what made you vote for the Conservatives yet

Or does the above indicate you don't want to talk about it?

Yet your very quick to talk about what others vote for.

Hold on, we are only debating about an independent Scotland so why are you bothered about who anyone votes for? All the parties will change anyway in an independent Scotland so why do you care who someone has voted for in the past?

And come on Consie, you have changed your tune again and now it's not only about an independent Scotland but to include observations about Westminster / Tories etc.

If this is the case don't be surprised if people start making observations about the SNP.

As we were then ?

28 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Hold on, we are only debating about an independent Scotland so why are you bothered about who anyone votes for? All the parties will change anyway in an independent Scotland so why do you care who someone has voted for in the past?

And come on Consie, you have changed your tune again and now it's not only about an independent Scotland but to include observations about Westminster / Tories etc.

If this is the case don't be surprised if people start making observations about the SNP.

As we were then ?

Well yes, because if it's a No, that's something we'll still have to contend with- to our detriment. Of course Westminster and the current government in power are relevant to the case for independence. 

Im not criticising policy, which I would normally, I've simply made the point that Scotland hasn't voted Tory since the 50's but we've been ruled by them for the majority of time since. 

That is a case for independence, not because I hate the tories, even tho I do,  but because Scotland is getting democratically shafted. 

I've voted Labour in the past, and would say the same for them. We haven't voted for them for a good while now, too, yet they'll tell us what is/isn't good for us? Fuck off. 

You can't have a conversation about independence and not reference the two major parties that dominate the electorate in England. What I'm saying is, it's pointless to point to specific policies about any party you don't like, in relation to independence, because there'd be an election if it was to happen, and you could vote for who you wanted then. 

You can point out the policies you don't like by any party in a general sense,  but don't make that your reason for voting yes or no, because it works on the assumption the party you don't like will be in power. 

Where as, we can be pretty sure, that if a no vote is reached, a party Scotland doesn't vote for, will continue to rule. 

In the event of a no- same as now. 

In the event of a yes- heaps of possibilities. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

As we were then ?

So no answer then

ok noted when you ask me anything

1 hour ago, caledonia said:

Subsidy myth klaxon 

BEC1650-C-4-B6-C-4362-8423-B73-AAD72-EA1

Provides a more in depth statistic when you share the full quote:

"In 2019, Scotch Whisky accounted for 75 per cent of all Scottish food and drink exports, 21 per cent of all UK food and drink exports, and 1.4 per cent of all UK goods exports."

Personally not sure why we are exporting all that whisky, the shite stuff aye but the good stuff should stay here ??

18 minutes ago, caledonia said:

But but but they had two ferries late and pot holes so they can’t be independent 

I'm for independence 

But quoting Bulgaria as a good example on the currency issue - were they not a failed state?

Panama did it too and they became a failed state

Pegging onto another countries currency is a sign of desperation,  not prosperity 

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

Not impressive.

- his claim that Scotland could survive on its own is meaningless, as nobody has ever suggested it could not.

- he mentioned "having oil" as a positive for Scotland, but the intellectual and moral pygmies who run Scotland have set themselves against exploiting this resource.

- he says its "ludicrous" to suggest that using someone else's currency is "anti sovereign".  He justifies this by saying other people do it, which is no argument at all.  It is anti-sovereign, as you have no control over the interest rates etc if you are using someone else's currency. 

The guy is a shyster.

In these discussions you never hear anything about Scotland's bloated, over-sized and over-paid public sector which consumes vast resources while delivering piss poor standards.  Or how vanishingly few Scots are actually economically active - that is, working in real (non State) jobs which create wealth.  You know, relevant stuff.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Not impressive.

- his claim that Scotland could survive on its own is meaningless, as nobody has ever suggested it could not.

- he mentioned "having oil" as a positive for Scotland, but the intellectual and moral pygmies who run Scotland have set themselves against exploiting this resource.

- he says its "ludicrous" to suggest that using someone else's currency is "anti sovereign".  He justifies this by saying other people do it, which is no argument at all.  It is anti-sovereign, as you have no control over the interest rates etc if you are using someone else's currency. 

The guy is a shyster.

In these discussions you never hear anything about Scotland's bloated, over-sized and over-paid public sector which consumes vast resources while delivering piss poor standards.  Or how vanishingly few Scots are actually economically active - that is, working in real (non State) jobs which create wealth.  You know, relevant stuff.

You creating lots of wealth in your 37.5 hour a week job that you complained was too much for you? 

• Haha 3