Worth A Look?

17 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

How exactly would you describe using a guy who’s about 5ft 5 in the role of a 6ft 5 target man then?

31 games is pish as well. More often than not would get 10-15 mins at the end of a game, if that.

Yeah, I'd have guessed nearer 5-10 mins in most of the games rather than 10-15. Also, most of the games when he came on it was because we were losing and at that point we'd normally go even more route 1. 

It would have been interesting to have seen him play alongside Ramirez, maybe in a 3412 formation like we played a few times earlier in the season. I don't blame the boy at all for leaving though. I can't remember which game it was, but there was a match when he was on the bench and we had no other forward players - I think whoever was playing up front went off injured, or maybe we were just chasing a goal, and McInnes put on a central defender up front instead of Anderson. I may have got some of the details wrong - maybe someone else remembers better... I just remember thinking at the time it was the ultimate insult.

8 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

If Anderson continues to do well at Livi I think he might fancy a crack down south. Might have a bit of a problem persuading clubs down there he's physically up to it.....he'd be facing relative giants no matter what league he ended up in but even at a bog standard EPL1 side he'd at very least double his Livi earnings.

But if no offers there materialise, wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at the Jutes. Subtly sticking 2 fingers up at us 

I’d say Bruce has found his level. 

3 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

He’s too small for England. As a lot of us on here thought when he left us he’s proving he is a SPFL level player. He’d have been far more use here than any of the attackers we’ve had the last 2 seasons bar Ramirez.

Yeah that’s why Messi stayed in Spain so long. He was too small to really play anywhere else & stand out as half decent.

I’m actually rubbishing this ‘too small’ argument in case you are wondering ?

Such a ridiculous argument that is used so often. ?

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Yeah that’s why Messi stayed in Spain so long. He was too small to really play anywhere else & stand out as half decent.

I’m actually rubbishing this ‘too small’ argument in case you are wondering ?

Such a ridiculous argument that is used so often. ?

Are you really comparing Bruce to Messi? I’d say that’s the ridiculous part here

22 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Are you really comparing Bruce to Messi? I’d say that’s the ridiculous part here

No I am comparing a player is ‘too small’ for English football to say one that is ‘too big’ for English football or ‘just the right size’ for English football ?

Emphasis is on just how ridiculous the ‘too small’ point folk that basically have no clue about football throw about so often. Like there are no ‘small’ football players ? 

If we were speaking about genuine dwarfism here then I would have to agree on this point though I guess. Pretty sure the likes Warwick Davis could fall into the ‘too small’ category without much debate 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:55 AM, Redmist1903 said:

Never! His dad still works for AFC as a coach doesn't he? If he was to have a successful spell at Livi and we offered him the chance to return at the end of his contract I'm sure he'd jump at it. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't have first refusal on him given we wrote of any compensation we were due when he signed for Livi.

Edit: Forgot we probably wrote off the compo to sign Jet

???

I’m very sceptical about stories of players being released because they’re too small. More likely that they’ve been released because they simply haven’t been good enough to make the club want to keep them. I can imagine that coaches might indicate to the small player that his height or lack of physical strength is one of the reasons the club thinks he’s not good enough , possibly in a cack-handed attempt to let the lad down gently.

2 hours ago, redone said:

I’m very sceptical about stories of players being released because they’re too small. More likely that they’ve been released because they simply haven’t been good enough to make the club want to keep them. I can imagine that coaches might indicate to the small player that his height or lack of physical strength is one of the reasons the club thinks he’s not good enough , possibly in a cack-handed attempt to let the lad down gently.

Presumably you didn't bother to read the article I posted

To summarise to save you the bother...

Franck Ribery.......Antoine Griezmann......Jamie Vardy.......Andy Robertson........Harry Kane.......Joao Felix.......Roy Keane..........and even one Dean Windass.  All released at a young age for being too small.

I doubt your theory about letting them down gently applies to this ahem "little" list

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Presumably you didn't bother to read the article I posted

To summarise to save you the bother...

Franck Ribery.......Antoine Griezmann......Jamie Vardy.......Andy Robertson........Harry Kane.......Joao Felix.......Roy Keane..........and even one Dean Windass.  All released at a young age for being too small.

I doubt your theory about letting them down gently applies to this ahem "little" list

Yes ,I did have a quick skim through the article. And I still don’t buy the narrative that the players were rejected simply because they were too small. The article doesn’t have any direct quotes supporting that. And apart from anything else everybody knows of top class players who have made it despite being relatively small. So it’d make no sense for professional clubs to reject any player solely for that reason.

I’ll stick to my view that the real reason for rejection (or in some of the cases mentioned in that article the reason why other clubs didn’t take a chance on a certain player) was that they didn’t perform well enough in trials or in training.

16 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Can we not just sign the wee loon Dembele instead - he's out of contract in the summer and much more worthwhile than Mikey Johnson (who is decent) on loan. 

Strange he's never really kicked on after supposedly being the "next big thing". Hasnt played at all for the Tims this season that I can see

Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me but sure I read a year or so ago that he really sees his future down south and after playing for Scotland U16/17 he switched allegiance to England and has committed himself to them in future. Ironically it looks like his older brother Siriki now looks like the better player and could well end up capped for Scotland shortly

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Strange he's never really kicked on after supposedly being the "next big thing". Hasnt played at all for the Tims this season that I can see

Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me but sure I read a year or so ago that he really sees his future down south and after playing for Scotland U16/17 he switched allegiance to England and has committed himself to them in future. Ironically it looks like his older brother Siriki now looks like the better player and could well end up capped for Scotland shortly

I think he picked up an injury in a pre-season game. Still only 18. Some of the big clubs down south and abroad were interested in him a couple years ago. You wonder though if he'd be tempted by even a 2 year deal where he's guaranteed regular football and can develop properly, then move to a bigger club at 20.

Mikey Johnson on loan more likely.

1 hour ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Scott Allan released by Hibs ??!?

I said a while ago he would be the cheap fall back option if we didn't get McGrath. I could see us signing him on an 18 month deal, or even a 6 month deal to the end of the season. Scott Brown will know him from his time at Celtic. I wouldn't be overly excited about it, but I'd rather have Scott Allan than McLennan, Kennedy, Jenks, JET or Ojo.

14 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I said a while ago he would be the cheap fall back option if we didn't get McGrath. I could see us signing him on an 18 month deal, or even a 6 month deal to the end of the season. Scott Brown will know him from his time at Celtic. I wouldn't be overly excited about it, but I'd rather have Scott Allan than McLennan, Kennedy, Jenks, JET or Ojo.

Absolutely not. He couldn’t get a game for hibs and we sign him on a 18 month deal? No chance!  Wouldn’t touch him! 

12 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

The boy's had a medical condition that stopped him playing fitba, nae played for the guts of what? a year? And now been shit canned oot of his current contract. Aye, nae bother

He's type 1 diabetic........it was initially assumed that this was behind his problems as he has always had problems controlling it effectively alongside training and playing full time. But his consultant didn't think his symptoms fitted in with this and did an ECG which showed there was a problem. Got sent for tests which eventually showed up he has cardiomyopathy, That's what killed Phil O'Donnell. 

It's a big old "no thanks" from me. And even bigger ones from our club doctor/physio team. And whoever arranges the statutory player insurance...