Worth A Look?

Martin Boyle would be a good squad player

Define squad player?

Any player we sign should be of a standard to theoretically play every week, although obviously they won't, because there should be a squad rotation policy in place, which unfortunetly we haven't had since DM took over.

This squad player expression boils my piss. Players like Stockley, Storey, Burns, Morris were never going to be good enough for AFC, so why sign players like that, even on loan, just to flesh out the squad? I'd rather the squad was populated with a higher standard of player, albiet obviously with less of them, and any fleshing out is done with youth players.

So, I don't think Boyle is good enough for us

Define squad player?

Any player we sign should be of a standard to theoretically play every week, although obviously they won't, because there should be a squad rotation policy in place, which unfortunetly we haven't had since DM took over.

This squad player expression boils my piss. Players like Stockley, Storey, Burns, Morris were never going to be good enough for AFC, so why sign players like that, even on loan, just to flesh out the squad? I'd rather the squad was populated with a higher standard of player, albiet obviously with less of them, and any fleshing out is done with youth players.

You do realise we work within a budget?

Define squad player?

Stockley came from Bournemouth where he was highly regarded - he's been better than both Zola and Goodie. Storey had a good season with Inverness - I think there is something behind the scenes that we don't know about that has halted his Aberdeen career. John McGinn is the only player from Hibs I'd take. Not even the CumDog.

Truth be told I think the time of snapping up proven SPFL performers may have passed for us.

Yes there will always be some really good players coming up that we should be interested in BUT to really improve now we need to look much wider to get the quality we need to improve.

Not so say we can't bring in some good scottish players but we will need to look much further now IMO to get the quality we need (at a price we can afford).

To throw a name in to the hat as a McGinn replacement

Paul Anderson

28 year old right winger most recently with Northampton. Played the majority of his career as a regular in the Championship but has been League One the last two seasons.

Not followed him recently but at Ipswich he was certainly more than good enough so would be a gem if could recapture that form

sooth_stander, on 06 May 2017 - 5:25 PM, said:snapback.png

Define squad player?

You do realise we work within a budget?

Of course I do; that's why I said "I'd rather the squad was populated with a higher standard of player, albeit obviously with less of them, and any fleshing out is done with youth players."

Spread the butter more thinly, but on better butter. Instead of Stockley and Storey, Stevie May and Connor Mclennan. You dig?

Of course I do; that's why I said "I'd rather the squad was populated with a higher standard of player, albeit obviously with less of them, and any fleshing out is done with youth players."

Spread the butter more thinly, but on better butter. Instead of Stockley and Storey, Stevie May and Connor Mclennan. You dig?

That's fine as long as you are lucky in not picking injuries but what happens if May then gets broken leg in his first game and Rooney also get injured so you are left with an unproven Mclennan having to start every week for the whole season and he finds it tough going, he might struggle and then loses confidence so you are left in a bad situation of no back up.

We don't want to end up in a situation like the end of last season when you get a bad run of injuries in a certain position and have to throw in an inexperienced youth player for an important game. I.e. when we were still not that far off Celtic last season Michael Rose had to thrown in at St Johnstone who bullied the life out of him as he was used to playing development football where not really tested and not against seasoned pros like he faced at St Johnstone.

The likes of Stockley, Storey, Burns and Morris might not have improved our starting eleven but they had proven in the past they are more than capable of facing your average SPL players and teams. And at the same time there is a chance that at some point one of these squad players actually improve playing with better players and then manage to nail down a spot in the first eleven.

I think it has also been said that we want to send out our more senior youth players out on loan next season to play in the lower leagues so they face tougher testes and are challenged more than they are in the development league so its likely we will only have under 17's next season as back up.

To throw a name in to the hat as a McGinn replacement

Paul Anderson

28 year old right winger most recently with Northampton. Played the majority of his career as a regular in the Championship but has been League One the last two seasons.

Not followed him recently but at Ipswich he was certainly more than good enough so would be a gem if could recapture that form

Mcinnes did sign him for Bristol but the fact he only started him in about a quarter of the matches until Del got sacked midway through that season suggests he didn't impress him greatly or have enough trust him in him to start him regularly.

I might be wrong and he just had a lot of good options so couldn't force his way in but Bristol obviously weren't doing that well back then so I would be surprised if that was the case.

That's fine as long as you are lucky in not picking injuries but what happens if May then gets broken leg in his first game and Rooney also get injured so you are left with an unproven Mclennan having to start every week for the whole season

I'd rather that than a striker who can't even score when the ball is on the fucking goal line.

I'd rather that than a striker who can't even score when the ball is on the fucking goal line.

But would you really be happy and not criticise the player or manager if the situation came about that we were left with a development player as our only option and it was being shown that he wasn't ready for that level?

Ok so Storey had a redicululosly bad miss in that game but he showed last season for Caley and even for us when he did start and score against Partick early in the season that he can finish and score goals at this level. Don't get me wrong im no great fan of his but I totally understand why the manager would prefer to have an option like him.

Also, even if Mclennan is just sat on the bench every week as back up incase of injuries that's more likely to hinder his development than going out to a championship team playing games every week and continue to gain experience and learning against players at that level. If he shines for a season and shows himself to have the potential to play for our first team then we can bring him back in.

There was those who were shouting for Shankland & McManus to be playing when they were banging the goals for the under 20's a few years back and criticising Mcinnes for not giving them a start or enough chances but then after seeing them play a few games quickly realised it looked like neither was up to it in the top league.

According to Richard Gordon there is another two players close to signing very soon on pre contracts. I'd imagine our early start to the season could have an effect on players from down south who may already be on holiday at the time we start back. The manager wants all his business done early and wants to give the Europa league a right good crack this year so I'd expect to hear some news imminently. I reckon he also already knows who's staying and it is likely all those who have not signed new deals yet will be away in the summer.

In an ideal world we'd have that of course, but in reality good players will only come to the club to play, not sit on the bench to improve our substitute quality. Our depth of squad has gradually improved though, so maybe you're right and it'll happen but I can't see it unless we start showing a lot more faith in our own youth product, but yeah, I dig ;)

According to Richard Gordon there is another two players close to signing very soon on pre contracts. I'd imagine our early start to the season could have an effect on players from down south who may already be on holiday at the time we start back. The manager wants all his business done early and wants to give the Europa league a right good crack this year so I'd expect to hear some news imminently. I reckon he also already knows who's staying and it is likely all those who have not signed new deals yet will be away in the summer.

When Richard Gordon say this? was it this week?

and you think rooney or may would be happy sitting out at least half of the season?

Nay this shite again! Fuck em, if they are not doing the bizo, then on the bench they go. Rooney has had it far too easy this season, and in seasons gone back to be fair.

You seriously telling me two good players for one starting slot is too much? Streuth

Why would you spread butter on butter?

I think Nicholson comp would be less than £200k

Still doubtful whether we'd part with cash like that on him rather than a Crawford/Boyce if we had money kicking around

Certainly in a better position to pay fees this summer.

Must be in line to make around £2 million from our cup runs alone.