Sam Cosgrove

• 2 years later...
38 minutes ago, Donscanada said:

I still think this will go down as one of the best deals for selling high in dons history.  A one and half year wonder who was in the middle of a slump.  

Bought for £20k.

Sold for £2M (although there was a 20% sell).

Signs 3.5 year contract and scores 0 goals for Birmingham. Scores 14 goals on loans to 3 lower division clubs.

Paid off with 9 months remaining on his contract.

He'll surely have another stab at Scottish football yet

Just now, ERNIE said:

My memory is that Cosgrove at his peak was a very good striker for us.Then he got injured and was never quite the same when he came back.

No doubt it was an excellent piece of business (thought we had missed it when he didn't move to France) but tend to agree. During his best period, he scored all sorts of goals and was a real menace for defenders up here. Always felt we needed to cash in though because it seemed too good to be true.

17 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

He always looked a bit of a donkey but some of his finishing at times during that 18 months was unreal. Scored all kinds of goals. 

His performance in a game away at Fir Park is one of the best I've seen from an Aberdeen striker in many a year. He was absolutely brilliant. 

Scored a great goal where he ran through and chipped the 'keeper too. 

18 hours ago, Sheeptastic said:

No doubt it was an excellent piece of business (thought we had missed it when he didn't move to France) but tend to agree. During his best period, he scored all sorts of goals and was a real menace for defenders up here. Always felt we needed to cash in though because it seemed too good to be true.

It was a big disappointment he missed that 1 on 1 versus the rapist down at ibrox not long before the nonsendical lockdown. 

Scoring that chance, perhaps, would have enhanced his fee even further.

A £2 million bid for him wasn't to be sniffed at though.