Lewis Ferguson

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

They both behaved very differently though. McLean signed for Norwich,  came back here for the final 6 months, kept his head down, didn't have anyone connected with him bad mouthing the club in the media and played good football then left with most folks best wishes as it was felt he'd handled the situation well. 

Ferguson put in a transfer request, his agent insinuated we had a gentleman's agreement to sell him to an English Premier league team for any price and his father was active in the media more or less claiming his son was being taken advantage of financially by the club. 

You could argue that Ferguson at best has been badly advised and supported by his agent and family. At worst he's been complicit and everything has been done with his blessing. 

Two very different ways to manage your exit from a club you'll surely admit? 

This.

5 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Mcinnes and his gentleman’s agreements, glad we’ve seen the back of them.

To be fair to McInnes, there has to be an appreciation on the part of the player and his agent that a move to a big club is subject to the money being right.

Ferguson's been a very good player for us and we'll definitely miss him when he leaves. His head's been filled with nonsense by his father & McMurdo. Never good to have an unhappy player about the place, best for all parties he moves on this summer.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

They both behaved very differently though. McLean signed for Norwich,  came back here for the final 6 months, kept his head down, didn't have anyone connected with him bad mouthing the club in the media and played good football then left with most folks best wishes as it was felt he'd handled the situation well. 

Ferguson put in a transfer request, his agent insinuated we had a gentleman's agreement to sell him to an English Premier league team for any price and his father was active in the media more or less claiming his son was being taken advantage of financially by the club. 

You could argue that Ferguson at best has been badly advised and supported by his agent and family. At worst he's been complicit and everything has been done with his blessing. 

Maybe a premiership team came in for mclean he might of acted the same. I’m not in the know but did any come in for him.
When mclean was at Aberdeen in his last season he was called shit and not good enough for English premier league, he’s nothing but a hun he’s winding down his contract to go to them. Signed for norwich and it went 180 on him oh he’s really good we will miss him loads. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but we're dealing in reality here, not fantasy

Exactly no team came in for mclean to have that option. Ferguson wanted a life changing opportunity.
If rangers came in with a low offer and he handed a transfer request in Id  understand the reaction but it was a team in England. No wonder he wanted to go 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

Exactly no team came in for mclean to have that option. Ferguson wanted a life changing opportunity.
If rangers came in with a low offer and he handed a transfer request in Id  understand the reaction but it was a team in England. No wonder he wanted to go 

Again you are projecting behaviour on McLean that didnt happen to try and defend Ferguson

The question was asked why McLean and Ferguson are viewed differently by an element of the support and it is entirely down to the behaviour of each player and their agents/family which are completely chalk and cheese.

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We will miss him when he goes.

After this summer window though, his value diminishes significantly & there’s no chance he’s  signing a new contract.

Come early-mid August, we need to be getting the bids up from £1.5m to £2.5m with add ons 

If no-one stumps up the asking price, he stays and buckles down.

Wouldn't bother me if we got fuck all for him and he was here til the end of his contract.

Then we get the use of a decent player for a couple of years, and he won't be in a position to sulk about it.

He'll need to perform, and perform well, to increase his chances of a better club and contract once he does go.

37 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Again you are projecting behaviour on McLean that didnt happen to try and defend Ferguson

The question was asked why McLean and Ferguson are viewed differently by an element of the support and it is entirely down to the behaviour of each player and their agents/family which are completely chalk and cheese.

His agent and family didn’t do Ferguson any favours but apart from being advised (wrongly) to hand in a transfer request I didn’t see him not try on the pitch. He always tried, probably sometimes to much and always carried out the manager’s instructions. 

15 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

If no-one stumps up the asking price, he stays and buckles down.

Wouldn't bother me if we got fuck all for him and he was here til the end of his contract.

Then we get the use of a decent player for a couple of years, and he won't be in a position to sulk about it.

He'll need to perform, and perform well, to increase his chances of a better club and contract once he does go.

Exactly 

15 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Loved signing for the Dons and playing in the beginning. Our best player for several years. Has a dip in form and fans get on his back for being a hun and want rid of him despite being our best player and top goal scorer. Now he wants away as said fans have fucked it for him here. Same fans blame Ferguson for the team being shite.

Its embarrassing to admit to being an Aberdeen fan now. It really is. Chips on shoulders about everything, stuck in the 80’s and the most negative, abusive fans to our own players. 

Only one thing is an embarrasment here min and that’s you.

Contrarian prick.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Agree with all of this.

Ferguson's old man was an utter bampot, moaning abbout his wages when Ferguson/his agent wouldve agreed the deal.

Very convenient how since McInnes left he started to badmouth AFC, hun prick

3 hours ago, Dave Bus said:

Should be a genuine question to any championship club who come calling, how much they’d offer for Allan Campbell, I bet it’s 4 or 5 million, and quote them the same for Ferguson (who plays ahead of Campbell for scotland bear in mind)

That's quite a good argument in principle but we just won't get clubs down south to see it that way- they don't see the Scottish Market as worth the money, more of a bargain basement they can dip into to steal the odd bargain.

9 hours ago, thurso said:

His agent and family didn’t do Ferguson any favours but apart from being advised (wrongly) to hand in a transfer request I didn’t see him not try on the pitch. He always tried, probably sometimes to much and always carried out the manager’s instructions. 

Away you go, there were several matches at the end of Glass' time where he was coasting, at best, ahead of the January window. 

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, G31DON said:

Away you go, there were several matches at the end of Glass' time where he was coasting, at best, ahead of the January window. 

So before the January transfer window you think he was coasting, when as a team we had our best run of results all season in December and he was one of our best players. If that was him coasting how good would he have been if he was trying. 

8 minutes ago, thurso said:

So before the January transfer window you think he was coasting, when as a team we had our best run of results all season in December and he was one of our best players. If that was him coasting how good would he have been if he was trying. 

He was poor from September until around November, put in a bit of effort around then but it was nowhere near as much as he could have been putting in.  With Ferguson he's a clever player, he's very good at faking it, nice touch here, draw in a foul there and greet to the ref, a lot of our thick as fuck fans fall for it and see that as him bossing a game.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, minijc said:

He was poor from September until around November, put in a bit of effort around then but it was nowhere near as much as he could have been putting in.  With Ferguson he's a clever player, he's very good at faking it, nice touch here, draw in a foul there and greet to the ref, a lot of our thick as fuck fans fall for it and see that as him bossing a game.

Now I’m using him as a comparison (and I know the ones on here who will try slaughtering me for it) as he left Hibs about the same age Ferguson is now but to me what you just explained is John McGinn at Hibs. I never once seen him boss games but he did all that and their fans loved him. 

I just don’t think Ferguson is as bad as has been made out on here and if we were to accept a bid of about £1.5 million like someone suggested on here it would be pretty laughable in my opinion and we would be better of keeping him 

Just now, minijc said:

100% correct.

• Like 1
Just now, thurso said:

Now I’m using him as a comparison (and I know the ones on here who will try slaughtering me for it) as he left Hibs about the same age Ferguson is now but to me what you just explained is John McGinn at Hibs. I never once seen him boss games but he did all that and their fans loved him. 

I just don’t think Ferguson is as bad as has been made out on here and if we were to accept a bid of about £1.5 million like someone suggested on here it would be pretty laughable in my opinion and we would be better of keeping him 

Ffs min. 

Nobody thinks Ferguson has been anything other than a good player for us. 

But he wants out and it's been festering for a while and it's better for everyone he goes. 

The bit you should be focusing on is why no one seems to want to offer more than £1.5m for him otherwise he would have been long gone by now. 

1 hour ago, thurso said:

Well if that’s all that comes in for him be better of keeping him. We could make more than that in prize money and let him go on a free at the end of his contract 

If he decides to try a leg.

But if he wants away, what guarantee is there he'll do it? Yes some will say if he doesn't put in the effort and play well that a move won't happen. Maybe so....but all we'll have is a player on our hands who really doesn't want to be with us.  At absolute worst he walks away for free 2 years down the line and someone, no matter how poor he's been in the interim, will give him a contract elsewhere.

It really is best for everyone concerned now that he gets his move this summer. £2m is probably a bit less than his value as a current international and I'd hope we hold out for a bit more initially but if we reach deadline day with him still on our books, I'd probably take it just to get him away. Hold on till January and his market value starts dropping.

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Why are clubs reluctant to pay even £2m for him? 

When we got almost £3m for McKenna, £2.5m for Cosgrove and £4m for Ramsay. 

It's a weird one

I'm convinced he is a really good player and if he moved down there he would go up a level again

I tnink, in champ manager terms, he is maybe a 13/14 out of 20 for most attributes, but nothing higher and maybe that's the problem

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

If he decides to try a leg.

But if he wants away, what guarantee is there he'll do it? Yes some will say if he doesn't put in the effort and play well that a move won't happen. Maybe so....but all we'll have is a player on our hands who really doesn't want to be with us.  At absolute worst he walks away for free 2 years down the line and someone, no matter how poor he's been in the interim, will give him a contract elsewhere.

It really is best for everyone concerned now that he gets his move this summer. £2m is probably a bit less than his value as a current international and I'd hope we hold out for a bit more initially but if we reach deadline day with him still on our books, I'd probably take it just to get him away. Hold on till January and his market value starts dropping.

33 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think they're viewing him as a very good player who can play almost anywhere in midfield (and probably could cover CH in an absolute emergency) but just not absolutely top drawer. He's a star for us but at top end Championship/ lower EPL he'd be viewed as a journeyman pro. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a level he's not going to exceed.

McKenna always looked like he might have the ability to thrive at a higher level. Ramsay might also well do albeit being so much younger and less experienced he's more of a gamble. But a £4m gamble is chickenfeed to Liverpool. Cosgrove we obviously got lucky with, looks like he's been a 2 season flash-in-the-pan

4 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think they're viewing him as a very good player who can play almost anywhere in midfield (and probably could cover CH in an absolute emergency) but just not absolutely top drawer. He's a star for us but at top end Championship/ lower EPL he'd be viewed as a journeyman pro. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a level he's not going to exceed.

McKenna always looked like he might have the ability to thrive at a higher level. Ramsay might also well do albeit being so much younger and less experienced he's more of a gamble. But a £4m gamble is chickenfeed to Liverpool. Cosgrove we obviously got lucky with, looks like he's been a 2 season flash-in-the-pan

Aye. Good at most things but no stand out attributes that would make top clubs in England want to shell out big money. 

58 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It's a weird one

I'm convinced he is a really good player and if he moved down there he would go up a level again

I tnink, in champ manager terms, he is maybe a 13/14 out of 20 for most attributes, but nothing higher and maybe that's the problem

Yip, said as much the other day. 
A good all rounder whose not outstanding at anything.

Recruitment is largely data driven nowadays, & taking out the penalties, as you say, all the numbers will be about 13/20, with no 16 or 17/20.

We’ll not get any more than £2.5m. 

• Upvote 1