Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

Why did they end the old reserve league? We've got heaps of players hanging around who never get games for the first team but are too old for the youth teams - if they ever are called upon for the first team they're going to be miles away from match fitness. The reserve league gave young players opportunity to play with and against older and better players which is surely much more valuable than just playing people your own age group. I know it's been this way for years, but what was the justification for it? 

59 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Luke Turner getting a start for top of the league Cliftonville in Northern Ireland, that's not a bad standard these days, lot of teams in that league we wouldn't live with. I'd like to say I hope he keeps doing well and comes back to get his chance here but he won't. Loan usually spells the end of the road with the dons.

Pish.

We’d romp the Northern Irish league. 
If you’ve ever seen the football there, it makes us look like Barcelona. 

18 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Why did they end the old reserve league? We've got heaps of players hanging around who never get games for the first team but are too old for the youth teams - if they ever are called upon for the first team they're going to be miles away from match fitness. The reserve league gave young players opportunity to play with and against older and better players which is surely much more valuable than just playing people your own age group. I know it's been this way for years, but what was the justification for it? 

Money.

9 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Celtic and rangers pulled out of it to play friendlies against “top” European teams did they not? Then shortly after we and a few other followed suit. I agree though a chance for players to play against older players. Duncan is clearly way to good for u18s but will see how he fair at league 1 level. Fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Spot on. Huge gap. 

3 hours ago, slippers said:

Celtic and rangers pulled out of it to play friendlies against “top” European teams did they not? Then shortly after we and a few other followed suit. I agree though a chance for players to play against older players. Duncan is clearly way to good for u18s but will see how he fair at league 1 level. Fingers crossed. 

Just think reserve league is a better half way house than punting guys out on loan to play at a lower level where they’re just going to get booted all over the park. At least reserve football you can play in the same system and style as you would for first team and get a balance between playing with and against both young and old players

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

Just think reserve league is a better half way house than punting guys out on loan to play at a lower level where they’re just going to get booted all over the park. At least reserve football you can play in the same system and style as you would for first team and get a balance between playing with and against both young and old players

Back in the 80s Angus, Porteous, Falconer, McIntyre, were better players for it

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Its the clubs job to find a club that is playing in a similar style to ourselves that will suit both player and club. Its not just youth players that suffer though, what about the first team players that dont get off bench, other than training a good performance in reserve league game could be enough to get a start on Saturday or certainly more minutes off the bench.

Competition: SPFL Trust Trophy - Last 16
 Match: Hamilton Accies v Aberdeen B
 Date : Wednesday 6th October                                                                                                                                                                                   Venue: The FOYS Stadium
 Kick Off: 19:45
Ticket Info: Cash turnstiles will be in operation. £10 per adult £5 for U16 and over 65s. Away fans should use turnstile 4 and will be seated in the main stand, section A.
For full information, please click here. Please note that there will be no live stream of this match. 

1 hour ago, The Cockney Don said:

Competition: SPFL Trust Trophy - Last 16
 Match: Hamilton Accies v Aberdeen B
 Date : Wednesday 6th October                                                                                                                                                                                   Venue: The FOYS Stadium
 Kick Off: 19:45
Ticket Info: Cash turnstiles will be in operation. £10 per adult £5 for U16 and over 65s. Away fans should use turnstile 4 and will be seated in the main stand, section A.
For full information, please click here. Please note that there will be no live stream of this match. 

What are the rules regarding the sort of team we can put out for this one?

11 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

What are the rules regarding the sort of team we can put out for this one?

Think it's near enough anyone we want to put out. I mind that Jack Gurr played in the last B team game. From memory it's our u23's/u19's and any first team players who need minutes (probably see Gurr and Campbelll maybe?)