Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

3 minutes ago, graham said:

Good player indeed Finn Yeats.Very surprised that it was decided to let him go Hope he does well at at Falkirk.His dad Craig Yeats had a similar experience,doing fine at Dundee then released, and became a Highland League legend at Huntly and won the Highland League with Peterhead as well.It is not the end of the world if a young player does not make it to the Aberdeen first team.

You sure

3 hours ago, graham said:

Good player indeed Finn Yeats.Very surprised that it was decided to let him go Hope he does well at at Falkirk.His dad Craig Yeats had a similar experience,doing fine at Dundee then released, and became a Highland League legend at Huntly and won the Highland League with Peterhead as well.It is not the end of the world if a young player does not make it to the Aberdeen first team.

He’s been getting rave reviews for his league cup performances at Falkirk… was apparently brilliant versus Hibs. Has played for Scotland all the way through the age groups.

Anyone know much more about what happened with this lad? Reading between the lines could it have been an issue with his attitude? The way our academy is run these days, I get the feeling that youngsters who don’t want to toe-the-line or buy into the philosophy, won’t last long?  Or has he fallen out with someone?

4 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

He’s been getting rave reviews for his league cup performances at Falkirk… was apparently brilliant versus Hibs. Has played for Scotland all the way through the age groups.

Anyone know much more about what happened with this lad? Reading between the lines could it have been an issue with his attitude? The way our academy is run these days, I get the feeling that youngsters who don’t want to toe-the-line or buy into the philosophy, won’t last long?  Or has he fallen out with someone?

Maybe I’m being too simplistic, as I know nothing about the lad, but if he was that good, wouldn’t a better team than a League One outfit have signed him on his release? 

December 2019,Aberdeen u18s 5 v Inverness Caley Thistle u18s 1 at a wet and windy Cormack Park .Connor Barron ran the show and a wee no.16 came on and did very well,good first touch and skill.Finn Yeats.I thought  I like this wee player.Pleased when he became a mainstay of the team and captain of the u18s.He got sent off at Brora in a big Challenge Cup game that all the Pittodrie staff would have noted. Yet the team rallied to win.Astonished Finn Yeats was released in the summer.Falkirk are League One yes,but a full-time team waiting for a good manager and will be back in the Championship soon.One of many players through the years who maybe didn't make it at Aberdeen but will have perfectly good football career in Scottish football.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, graham said:

He's also Warren Cummings' nephew so comes from a solid fitba family. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting news today.The Reserve League , seemingly killed off by the pandemic,has made a welcome return.10 teams,5 Premiership and 5 Championship, significantly no Aberdeen.Young players at Aberdeen more likely to be loaned out to League One , League Two and Highland League teams rather than coming through together in the reserves.The B team still taking part in SPFL trophy challenge cup and Aberdeenshire Cup.

1 hour ago, graham said:

Interesting news today.The Reserve League , seemingly killed off by the pandemic,has made a welcome return.10 teams,5 Premiership and 5 Championship, significantly no Aberdeen.Young players at Aberdeen more likely to be loaned out to League One , League Two and Highland League teams rather than coming through together in the reserves.The B team still taking part in SPFL trophy challenge cup and Aberdeenshire Cup.

Makes most sense imom, better for them to get game time at a semi/proffesional level than playing reserve football against guys their own age/older lads getting fitness up

Rangers, Celtic and Hearts now have teams in the Lowland League . Would be ideal for Aberdeen to have a team in the Highland League.Don't think that was considered and doubtful if other Highland League clubs would embrace the idea.  Inverness Caley Thistle tried to join and were rebuffed.Maybe next time Highland League has odd number of teams an additional team like Aberdeen could come in. Until then Aberdeen football club has no reserve team,youngsters scattered about on loan and an u18 team full of 16 year olds , getting beat most weeks, but with the ready excuse that they are a very young side gaining great experience !

I think you are right Roberto.The Lowland League said it was a one off for Rangers and Celtic to join for one season,and now they are still in the Lowland League, and now Hearts have joined as well.That is good for Rangers, Celtic and Hearts but compromises a very odd lop-sided Lowland League full of a whole liquorice allsorts of teams Pleased that the Highland League is better than that.Just trying to think the best pathway for young players at Aberdeen ,like Ryan Duncan and Kevin Hanratty,too good,too old for u18s ,not yet first team regulars.A few midweek reserve games together and playing for their loan teams Saturday would make best sense.

2 hours ago, graham said:

Rangers, Celtic and Hearts now have teams in the Lowland League . Would be ideal for Aberdeen to have a team in the Highland League.Don't think that was considered and doubtful if other Highland League clubs would embrace the idea.  Inverness Caley Thistle tried to join and were rebuffed.Maybe next time Highland League has odd number of teams an additional team like Aberdeen could come in. Until then Aberdeen football club has no reserve team,youngsters scattered about on loan and an u18 team full of 16 year olds , getting beat most weeks, but with the ready excuse that they are a very young side gaining great experience !

Erm, they ARE gaining great experience

Ever heard of a wee guy called connor barron?

Ryan Duncan too?

Done them the world of good 

Character building ! Ryan Duncan is my  favourite young player just now.Will be fascinating to see where he plays this season.I hope it is Aberdeen.Nice touches of skill at Peterhead match,where he is very highly thought of after an impressive spell there.Wee bit quiet Sunday v Raith Rovers,takes a good corner.Local lad from Keig near Alford.Big,strong skilful,everything you want in a footballer.Really pleased Connor Barron has done so well,was worried he might be classed as 'too small'.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

AFC u18s 9- St Mirren 0

Aberdeen: Oluyemi, Fatona, Hamilton (Mercer 61), Watson, McKenzie (Ochmanski 74), Marshall (Murray 74), Emslie, Harvey (Pirie 70), Bavidge, Wilson, Stewart.

Goals: Harvey 12, 20, 36; Emslie 14, 29; Fatona 25, Bavidge 72, 81; Pirie 84.

Was just about to post this as well. Fantastic result for the young loons.

Don't be too down heartened St Mirren, it's only 3 points!!

Notice that talented  young Aberdeen winger Kevin Hanratty,on loan just now at Forfar, is now going by the moniker Kevin Graeme Taylor.He has a bit of a name for diving and maybe has turned over a new leaf and will now try and stay on his feet.Hope so, as his tendency to simulation is the only thing that lets him down.

24 minutes ago, graham said:

Kevin is a good player,but he is struggling for game time at Forfar,coming on after the hour at the weekend.The one I have high hopes for as the breakthrough player this year is Ryan Duncan.

Yes, agree with that, but with the plethora of wingers at Pittodrie now, Duncan’s not going to get much game time, is he? 
Cove are short on numbers, might be a good move for him, for 6 months anyway 

The U18s are in action this afternoon, away to Celtic I think

The signing of these household names and superstars Shayden Morris and Callum Roberts is not good news for Ryan Duncan, and indeed my old hero Connor McLennnan. A manager will always play his own marvellous new signings before existing youngsters at the club.Under 18s defeat at Barrowfield today probably a more accurate reflection of how the team is doing than the exceptional 9-0 win over St Mirren at Cormack Park in the opening league match .