Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 hour ago, NEM said:

I take it the cunts can't go into the promotion play off if they were to finish 1st?

It was supposedly a one year only experiment and even if one of them finished top of the league they wouldnt be put forward into the ensuing play-off with the Highland League winner to face the team bottom of SPL2 for league entry

My guess is that they'll conclude that the experiment has been a success and they'll park the colts teams in the Lowland league permanently. I don't think they'd be brazen (or stupid) enough to allow them to get promoted next season either but there's no doubt the arse cheeks will start pushing for it sooner rather than later

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

New rules from July this year restricting loan amounts in/out to 8 players. Reducing to 6 by 2024. 
They are trying to give the impression it is to stop clubs hoarding players, like the arse cheeks but this is just a follow up from their colt team’s approval. This is 100% to aid in them still hoovering up all the young talent & skimming the cream. 

I thought if the players were home-grown and/or under 21 it didn't impact it? 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I fully expect this 'trial' to lead to another vote about allowing them into the leagues proper.  We seem to have votes on this every 6 months or so, they wont let it go.

Then it will be that they can't go higher than League 2

Fast forward a bit more it will be no higher than League 1.  etc etc

Trojan horse

100% the way they are drip feeding it in. There will be ‘amendments’ made each season or two until the colt teams are in the championship basically 

12 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

I thought if the players were home-grown and/or under 21 it didn't impact it? 

For the moment yes but arse cheeks could essentially fill the colt teams with ALL the best of Scottish talent until such time as they deem them good enough to play for them a couple of times then sell if ‘not quite’ good enough 

8 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

No shame in the corruption of SPFL though. First they finally get the arse cheeks their wish for colt teams in lower leagues, then they agree to reduce loan player amount rules so now the arse cheeks can still be unaffected by the rules as their colt teams won’t be classed as loans. Rest of the clubs will have to release more players rather than loan them out. 

Thought I read somewhere that this was a FIFA directive rather than an SFA one.  So probably directed at clubs like Chelsea and Man City. I’m not convinced that the SFA/Celtic/the Rangers cabal is smart enough to have seen the Colt teams as a way around it. Besides, what’s to stop the Dons entering a colt team in to the Highland league?

8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

it will be ok as long as the colt teams can't go higher in the pyramid.  Top young players will get little benefit from playing in the lowland league compared to playing reserve or unders football against players of higher quality.

The day the colt teams can be promoted to League 2 and above is the day the game is even more a bogey than it is just now.

In all seriousness, what if we had the chance of a colts team too

Be in favour then?

Good debate.Trojan horse is the best phrase to sum things up.Rangers and Celtic are now in the Lowland League system and their young players and both clubs are enjoying the benefits.Meanwhile the young Aberdeen u18s play Rangers u18s tonight at Auchenhowie.    Interesting game and start of a double header with SFA Youth Cup tie at same venue next week.

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

In all seriousness, what if we had the chance of a colts team too

Be in favour then?

Nah. 

I just don't think the 5th tier is a suitable level for players we are developing for the top division. Most of our better young players get loaned out to championship or league one. 

I genuinely believe an under 21/reserve set up is a better solution 

2 hours ago, Stavrogin said:

Thought I read somewhere that this was a FIFA directive rather than an SFA one.  So probably directed at clubs like Chelsea and Man City. I’m not convinced that the SFA/Celtic/the Rangers cabal is smart enough to have seen the Colt teams as a way around it. Besides, what’s to stop the Dons entering a colt team in to the Highland league?

A vote by the teams in it going against it for a start

The arse cheeks colts only got into the Lowland League on the strength of a passed vote by the teams.....11-5 in favour of it, technically they should really have went into one of the conferences and started right at the bottom of the pyramid. Not as if this hasn't occurred before mind you...

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

The huns won 4-1.

I was too polite to mention the final score ! All very well  Aberdeen fielding a very young team in the u18s League this season,but getting well beat does nothing for confidence.Will be interested to see if Youth Cup tie will see a stronger and more experienced team selection.

12 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nah. 

I just don't think the 5th tier is a suitable level for players we are developing for the top division. Most of our better young players get loaned out to championship or league one. 

I genuinely believe an under 21/reserve set up is a better solution 

I think there's a fine line. The purpose of loaning the players out is for them to get game time. Now you could argue that if they aren't good enough at that stage to play that standard then are they realistically going to be able to make the jump up. What I can never understand is why we insist on loaning players out to clubs all over the country when a good level of standard in and around the Aberdeen area.

Although costly at least with the U21/Reserve League we can develop our own talent in house. 

1 hour ago, RAZOR said:

I think there's a fine line. The purpose of loaning the players out is for them to get game time. Now you could argue that if they aren't good enough at that stage to play that standard then are they realistically going to be able to make the jump up. What I can never understand is why we insist on loaning players out to clubs all over the country when a good level of standard in and around the Aberdeen area.

Although costly at least with the U21/Reserve League we can develop our own talent in house. 

Aye, agree with all of that 

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Luke Turner on winning his first senior trophy as Cliftonville lifted the cup yesterday.

Interested to see what the plans are with Luke going forward. Certainly been getting good reviews in Ireland playing centre back every week at a standard that will be helping improve him as a 19year old and he is already in the Republics under 21 squad.

It will interesting to see if Goodwin will be looking to get him into our first team plans in the summer or what the plan will be with him. He will certainly know about him though his connections.

Good piece in the Belfast paper about him recently where his manager was singing his praises if anyone wants a read - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cliftonville-teenager-luke-turner-been-23188287

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Congratulations to Luke Turner on winning his first senior trophy as Cliftonville lifted the cup yesterday.

Interested to see what the plans are with Luke going forward. Certainly been getting good reviews in Ireland playing centre back every week at a standard that will be helping improve him as a 19year old and he is already in the Republics under 21 squad.

It will interesting to see if Goodwin will be looking to get him into our first team plans in the summer or what the plan will be with him. He will certainly know about him though his connections.

Good piece in the Belfast paper about him recently where his manager was singing his praises if anyone wants a read - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cliftonville-teenager-luke-turner-been-23188287

Interesting. You just don’t know how these things will pan out.

Their coach say he’s got a big future ahead of him but at what level? The Irish league?

Lets hope he comes back here in the summer and is knocking at the first team door.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Interesting. You just don’t know how these things will pan out.

Their coach say he’s got a big future ahead of him but at what level? The Irish league?

Lets hope he comes back here in the summer and is knocking at the first team door.

From what I've been told by people who know more than me they believe he will definitely play at a higher level than the Irish league. But whether he is already good enough to do it at a higher level right now or whether he needs a further loan is the question. That is assuming he wants to come back here as I'm not sure how long is left on his contract. 

I'm told he has really been improving and getting better by the week but his form has not gone unnoticed elsewhere. Left sided, mobile, commanding, some thought he overplayed at start of season but has been learning when its good to do that and when not.

They say he was good at the start of the season but lately has been really standing out. Very promising signs for a 19year old centre back who you might expect to make the odd mistake but again they say he has hardly put a foot wrong and been very consistent too. 

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

From what I've been told by people who know more than me they believe he will definitely play at a higher level than the Irish league. But whether he is already good enough to do it at a higher level right now or whether he needs a further loan is the question. That is assuming he wants to come back here as I'm not sure how long is left on his contract. 

I'm told he has really been improving and getting better by the week but his form has not gone unnoticed elsewhere. Left sided, mobile, commanding, some thought he overplayed at start of season but has been learning when its good to do that and when not.

They say he was good at the start of the season but lately has been really standing out. Very promising signs for a 19year old centre back who you might expect to make the odd mistake but again they say he has hardly put a foot wrong and been very consistent too. 

What level would that be in comparison to Scotland? He was hardly a stand out for Turriff. Good to hear he’s developing well! 

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Heard the lad Lancelot Pollard has signed for Celtic. Think his sister signed for Celtic ladies so his family have moved to Glasgow. Shame, huge talent, even at 14

Played for Liverpool v port Vale last week. 

His sister did go to celtic but is at Partick or Motherwell now. The dad tried to get lancelot to celtic or rangers but I assume both refused to pay the required compensation so he's currently clubless.

4 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

You've clearly never seen him play if your describing him as mobile. 

8 hours ago, RUL said:

His sister did go to celtic but is at Partick or Motherwell now. The dad tried to get lancelot to celtic or rangers but I assume both refused to pay the required compensation so he's currently clubless.

Really disappointing that. Was looking forward to seeing what happened with him in next 2/3 years. 

10 hours ago, RUL said:

You've clearly never seen him play if your describing him as mobile. 

No, your absolutely right RUL. I believe I may have seen him once for the youth team about 3 years ago but honestly cant say I can remember him.

As I said in my post though my comments are from what I've been told by other folk over there who have watched him regularly this season and they have all been very impressed with him. That was just how they described him. 

10 hours ago, RUL said:

What age is this guy? I take it he's not old enough to have signed a professional contract with us, so basically free to move around anywhere? Was he on trial at Liverpool or something? I was looking forward to seeing him progress as I'd heard he was a bit of a star in the making.

7 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

No, your absolutely right RUL. I believe I may have seen him once for the youth team about 3 years ago but honestly cant say I can remember him.

As I said in my post though my comments are from what I've been told by other folk over there who have watched him regularly this season and they have all been very impressed with him. That was just how they described him. 

He's a big unit now but lacks pace and mobility. He's got good distribution. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

What age is this guy? I take it he's not old enough to have signed a professional contract with us, so basically free to move around anywhere? Was he on trial at Liverpool or something? I was looking forward to seeing him progress as I'd heard he was a bit of a star in the making.

He will either be 14 or 15 now as he was born in 2007. His footwork is pretty good, great turn of pace. He's a unique talent in some respects but some games he would genuinely contribute absolutely nothing. 

There's a compensation scheme in place in Scotland. He's been at Aberdeen for a number of years so Aberdeen are due something. Its not a huge amount. 

As someone said previous, the sister signed initially for celtic and the parents moved the whole family to Glasgow and tried to force a move to celtic for lancelot. 

I can only assume Aberdeen said they wanted the compensation due and celtic refused to pay it. Celtic already have some good prospects at u16s so maybe feel not worth paying? It will be nothing to clubs like Liverpool.

If lancelot grows to height of his sister I think he's going to be a powerful player. Definitely one to watch. 

42 minutes ago, RUL said:

He will either be 14 or 15 now as he was born in 2007. His footwork is pretty good, great turn of pace. He's a unique talent in some respects but some games he would genuinely contribute absolutely nothing. 

There's a compensation scheme in place in Scotland. He's been at Aberdeen for a number of years so Aberdeen are due something. Its not a huge amount. 

As someone said previous, the sister signed initially for celtic and the parents moved the whole family to Glasgow and tried to force a move to celtic for lancelot. 

I can only assume Aberdeen said they wanted the compensation due and celtic refused to pay it. Celtic already have some good prospects at u16s so maybe feel not worth paying? It will be nothing to clubs like Liverpool.

If lancelot grows to height of his sister I think he's going to be a powerful player. Definitely one to watch. 

Thanks for the update RUL. Not sure how I feel about parents meddling in players careers at that age but I guess if they move to Glasgow I can borderline understand it. Just shit on the club having developed him for years.