The Cockney Don

Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Congratulations to Luke Turner on winning his first senior trophy as Cliftonville lifted the cup yesterday.

Interested to see what the plans are with Luke going forward. Certainly been getting good reviews in Ireland playing centre back every week at a standard that will be helping improve him as a 19year old and he is already in the Republics under 21 squad.

It will interesting to see if Goodwin will be looking to get him into our first team plans in the summer or what the plan will be with him. He will certainly know about him though his connections.

Good piece in the Belfast paper about him recently where his manager was singing his praises if anyone wants a read - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cliftonville-teenager-luke-turner-been-23188287

Interesting. You just don’t know how these things will pan out.

Their coach say he’s got a big future ahead of him but at what level? The Irish league?

Lets hope he comes back here in the summer and is knocking at the first team door.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Their coach say he’s got a big future ahead of him but at what level? The Irish league?

Lets hope he comes back here in the summer and is knocking at the first team door.

From what I've been told by people who know more than me they believe he will definitely play at a higher level than the Irish league. But whether he is already good enough to do it at a higher level right now or whether he needs a further loan is the question. That is assuming he wants to come back here as I'm not sure how long is left on his contract. 

I'm told he has really been improving and getting better by the week but his form has not gone unnoticed elsewhere. Left sided, mobile, commanding, some thought he overplayed at start of season but has been learning when its good to do that and when not.

They say he was good at the start of the season but lately has been really standing out. Very promising signs for a 19year old centre back who you might expect to make the odd mistake but again they say he has hardly put a foot wrong and been very consistent too. 

Well done to the lad.  Never too early to be picking up trophies. 

3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Reminds me of McKenna 

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

From what I've been told by people who know more than me they believe he will definitely play at a higher level than the Irish league. But whether he is already good enough to do it at a higher level right now or whether he needs a further loan is the question. That is assuming he wants to come back here as I'm not sure how long is left on his contract. 

I'm told he has really been improving and getting better by the week but his form has not gone unnoticed elsewhere. Left sided, mobile, commanding, some thought he overplayed at start of season but has been learning when its good to do that and when not.

They say he was good at the start of the season but lately has been really standing out. Very promising signs for a 19year old centre back who you might expect to make the odd mistake but again they say he has hardly put a foot wrong and been very consistent too. 

What level would that be in comparison to Scotland? He was hardly a stand out for Turriff. Good to hear he’s developing well! 

Posted (edited)

Heard the lad Lancelot Pollard has signed for Celtic. Think his sister signed for Celtic ladies so his family have moved to Glasgow. Shame, huge talent, even at 14

Edited by sooth_stander

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Heard the lad Lancelot Pollard has signed for Celtic. Think his sister signed for Celtic ladies so his family have moved to Glasgow. Shame, huge talent, even at 14

Played for Liverpool v port Vale last week. 

His sister did go to celtic but is at Partick or Motherwell now. The dad tried to get lancelot to celtic or rangers but I assume both refused to pay the required compensation so he's currently clubless.

4 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

You've clearly never seen him play if your describing him as mobile. 

8 hours ago, RUL said:

His sister did go to celtic but is at Partick or Motherwell now. The dad tried to get lancelot to celtic or rangers but I assume both refused to pay the required compensation so he's currently clubless.

Really disappointing that. Was looking forward to seeing what happened with him in next 2/3 years. 

10 hours ago, RUL said:

You've clearly never seen him play if your describing him as mobile. 

No, your absolutely right RUL. I believe I may have seen him once for the youth team about 3 years ago but honestly cant say I can remember him.

As I said in my post though my comments are from what I've been told by other folk over there who have watched him regularly this season and they have all been very impressed with him. That was just how they described him. 

10 hours ago, RUL said:

What age is this guy? I take it he's not old enough to have signed a professional contract with us, so basically free to move around anywhere? Was he on trial at Liverpool or something? I was looking forward to seeing him progress as I'd heard he was a bit of a star in the making.

7 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

No, your absolutely right RUL. I believe I may have seen him once for the youth team about 3 years ago but honestly cant say I can remember him.

As I said in my post though my comments are from what I've been told by other folk over there who have watched him regularly this season and they have all been very impressed with him. That was just how they described him. 

He's a big unit now but lacks pace and mobility. He's got good distribution. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

What age is this guy? I take it he's not old enough to have signed a professional contract with us, so basically free to move around anywhere? Was he on trial at Liverpool or something? I was looking forward to seeing him progress as I'd heard he was a bit of a star in the making.

He will either be 14 or 15 now as he was born in 2007. His footwork is pretty good, great turn of pace. He's a unique talent in some respects but some games he would genuinely contribute absolutely nothing. 

There's a compensation scheme in place in Scotland. He's been at Aberdeen for a number of years so Aberdeen are due something. Its not a huge amount. 

As someone said previous, the sister signed initially for celtic and the parents moved the whole family to Glasgow and tried to force a move to celtic for lancelot. 

I can only assume Aberdeen said they wanted the compensation due and celtic refused to pay it. Celtic already have some good prospects at u16s so maybe feel not worth paying? It will be nothing to clubs like Liverpool.

If lancelot grows to height of his sister I think he's going to be a powerful player. Definitely one to watch. 

42 minutes ago, RUL said:

He will either be 14 or 15 now as he was born in 2007. His footwork is pretty good, great turn of pace. He's a unique talent in some respects but some games he would genuinely contribute absolutely nothing. 

There's a compensation scheme in place in Scotland. He's been at Aberdeen for a number of years so Aberdeen are due something. Its not a huge amount. 

As someone said previous, the sister signed initially for celtic and the parents moved the whole family to Glasgow and tried to force a move to celtic for lancelot. 

I can only assume Aberdeen said they wanted the compensation due and celtic refused to pay it. Celtic already have some good prospects at u16s so maybe feel not worth paying? It will be nothing to clubs like Liverpool.

If lancelot grows to height of his sister I think he's going to be a powerful player. Definitely one to watch. 

Thanks for the update RUL. Not sure how I feel about parents meddling in players careers at that age but I guess if they move to Glasgow I can borderline understand it. Just shit on the club having developed him for years. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RUL said:

He was playing for AFC U18s in the Scottish Cup v Banks o Dee as recently as November so this must all be fairly recent. Strange that his dad is prepared to uproot the whole family, at that age

Edited by sooth_stander

Well even if his sister kicks on and makes the Scotland team (or any other international side that she qualifies for) they won't be making vast sums of cash....just about enough to live on fairly comfortably.

Presumably they're hoping that Lancelot makes it big. Half of me now hopes he gets found out and ends up playing in the WoS juniors by the time he's 18. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Thanks for the update RUL. Not sure how I feel about parents meddling in players careers at that age but I guess if they move to Glasgow I can borderline understand it. Just shit on the club having developed him for years. 

Dont we have plenty of youth players from Glasgow on the books. Not sure why moving to Glasgow means he has to quit AFC

11 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Dont we have plenty of youth players from Glasgow on the books. Not sure why moving to Glasgow means he has to quit AFC

We don't have any. Afc tried to accommodate him. 

He was playing for AFC U18s in the Scottish Cup v Banks o Dee as recently as November so this must all be fairly recent. Strange that his dad is prepared to uproot the whole family, at that age

I suspect his appearance was to try and encourage him to stay. 

Aberdeen u16s beat man utd 2 0. Some result. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, RUL said:

Where you getting your information from, googled and found nothing?

U18s playing Hibs at 3pm today, Cormack Park.

Strong Hibs team, who will win the league. Players are mostly at the upper age limit as opposed to our side which is littered with 16 yr olds and a good few 15 yr olds too (Bavidge and Stewart)

Really looking forward to this, haven’t seen the U18s for a few months

U18s playing Hibs at 3pm today, Cormack Park.

Strong Hibs team, who will win the league. Players are mostly at the upper age limit as opposed to our side which is littered with 16 yr olds and a good few 15 yr olds too (Bavidge and Stewart)

Really looking forward to this, haven’t seen the U18s for a few months

Thought Bavidge was injured?

My mates loon playing today after playing for 16's yesterday (beat the huns 3-2 at legless park).  He's 14 or maybe just turned 15

1-0 Hibs at HT Good game but Hibs are giants compared to our lads.

Not sure if Bavidge is playing today, only recognise 3 or 4 AFC players.

Finished 3-0 Hibs.

Maybe slightly unfair scoreline on the young Dons who battled away but really was men against boys; or youth v juveniles in this case. We never really put their defence under much pressure, mostly down to sheer lack of physicality.

Robson not there at either games this week, presume he’s succumbed to Covid 

I have no idea how the youth system operates at The Dons but is it a deliberate policy to put our better 17-18-19 year olds out to various senior teams and let the 14-15-16 year olds play in the development leagues against older and more physical players ?    Not a criticism as I have no knowledge of how player development / coaching works.  Just an observation but will putting an u16 side up against an under 18 side make our players better ?  

1 hour ago, Kiriakov33 said:

I have no idea how the youth system operates at The Dons but is it a deliberate policy to put our better 17-18-19 year olds out to various senior teams and let the 14-15-16 year olds play in the development leagues against older and more physical players ?    Not a criticism as I have no knowledge of how player development / coaching works.  Just an observation but will putting an u16 side up against an under 18 side make our players better ?  

Could you not make the arguement that those 17-19 year olds aren't ready for the physicality side of things? Look at ramsay this season, he's struggled to last more than 60 minutes (understand theres various factors behind it).

I'd rather see the best rated youth prospects given a chance in senior football to get them clsoer to being first team ready should we call upon them (see Connor Barron as a brilliant example of that)

My mate has a theory that kids are spotted by clubs precisely because they have a physical advantage over their contemporaries - usually size, sometimes speed etc.  Typically said advantage wears off which is to say the contemporaries catch up.  They’re then farmed out essentially to see if they can regain the differential ready for when they return to play their contemporaries once more.

His point is you’re asking a hell of a lot of the loons as they’re going out just when they’re starting to doubt themselves, for some for the first time in their lives (he’s into all that mental shit having had a tough go himself I believe).

9 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Could you not make the arguement that those 17-19 year olds aren't ready for the physicality side of things? Look at ramsay this season, he's struggled to last more than 60 minutes (understand theres various factors behind it).

I'd rather see the best rated youth prospects given a chance in senior football to get them clsoer to being first team ready should we call upon them (see Connor Barron as a brilliant example of that)

If that was the case then we should play our 17-19 year olds against other clubs 17-19 year olds. Personally I see no real benefit i  our youngsters being beaten by a higher age group.   Again I am no expert but it’s not the first time I have read a hard luck story on the afc website about the youngsters being beaten by a far older and experienced team. 
Time will tell I suppose if these youngsters do actually benefit from it.  

24 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

My mate has a theory that kids are spotted by clubs precisely because they have a physical advantage over their contemporaries - usually size, sometimes speed etc.  Typically said advantage wears off which is to say the contemporaries catch up.  They’re then farmed out essentially to see if they can regain the differential ready for when they return to play their contemporaries once more.

His point is you’re asking a hell of a lot of the loons as they’re going out just when they’re starting to doubt themselves, for some for the first time in their lives (he’s into all that mental shit having had a tough go himself I believe).

Scouts size up the father, which is why the game is becoming more middle class.

Working class tarts send their kids to fitba and have no idea who the father is.