Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

16 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

They’re nae there tonight, min 

Ryan Duncan looks the real deal, terrific player to watch, glides across the turf. Played on the right of midfield, cutting in.

Evan Towler looks composed at left back, moved to right centre half after 75 mins

The two centre mids, Finn Yates and Dylan Lobban, equally so.

Had a yap with Fraser Fyvie. Asked him about Lancelot Pollard, what the scoop was, given he coaches the U14s. Refused to comment, lips sealed.

Cheers for the updates min?.

Very good to hear that some of the younger lads are genuinely progressing and with the season coming to an end very soon, they'll likely be pushing to be regulars in the first team matchday squads in the new season, without the perennial obsession of signing injury-plagued duds, who once upon a time were decent, and dross from the English lower leagues (or loanees, for that matter, from EPL teams who have no chance in making it at a high level) in the next transfer window, purely to fill gaps in our squad and make up the numbers.  

That approach is exactly why we're in the position we find ourselves in, in terms of league position and early cup exits. 

• Upvote 2
On 5/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, aberdeen1970 said:

Just what the club needs, a batch coming through.  Anything resembling the group that came through in the early nineties would be a real unifying force amongst the support. 

From what I’ve seen we don’t have one player let alone a group, with that kind of talent. 

7 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

The group in the early 90s I assume means Jess, Booth and Wright? Struggling to remember any others who came through at that time who were particularly special?

Yeah, I only really think of Jess, an unplayable talent. Would imagine Watt would be in there? Robertson/Wright. Booth was brilliant at times.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, Don_Corleone said:

The group in the early 90s I assume means Jess, Booth and Wright? Struggling to remember any others who came through at that time who were particularly special?

We had Watt, Smith, Jess, booth and Wright all playing for Scotland under 21's at the time I think?

Interesting reading Jim McInally's comments regarding Ryan Duncan, from his time at Peterheed. Says he reminds him of Tom Rogic. Can see where the comparison comes from (big loon, great movement etc ) but I still stand by my Ryan Christie comparsion.

'Kin annoying that he can't play these remaining meaningless games; prefect platform for him and one or two others.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, RUL said:

Yeah, I only really think of Jess, an unplayable talent. Would imagine Watt would be in there? Robertson/Wright. Booth was brilliant at times.

Graham Watson looked like he had the potential to be a fine player in the season he broke into the team and scored his pen in the cup final, unfortunately the leg breaks pretty much killed his career. 

4 hours ago, NEM said:

We had Watt, Smith, Jess, booth and Wright all playing for Scotland under 21's at the time I think?

Smith was signed from Falkirk I think, so not technically one produced by Aberdeen, which is why I didn't mention him - but you're right, he was a good young player too. 

3 hours ago, RUL said:

Harvey was pulled out and Alfie Bavidge would probably have been in the squad but got injured.

Was Harvey pulled out of the whole tournement, or just for the opening game because he was featuring at the weekend? Bit of a shame to pull the lad out of a major competition like that to feature for half an hour in a meaningless game.

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

Was Harvey pulled out of the whole tournement, or just for the opening game because he was featuring at the weekend? Bit of a shame to pull the lad out of a major competition like that to feature for half an hour in a meaningless game.

I think the whole tournament, can't imagine teams would be allowed to have a player miss one game then play the rest.

Real shame for the lad as it's a cracking opportunity and he's had it wasted for 30 mins in a dead rubber

18 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I suspect club pulled him for first game and  SFA were pissed and replaced him from squad.

They got pumped 5 1 anyway.