Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

47 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Has Pollard been anywhere near the first team? I don't remember seeing his name on the bench at all, but maybe he has. 

Presuming he's more "potential" than first team ready like Ramsey or Barron atm. 

Aye they usually play 14 year olds in the first team. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

Aye they usually play 14 year olds in the first team. 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Have a look at the loon and have a guess.

Aberdeen youngster Lancelot Pollar

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

I thought he was about 14 and built like a twig. Probably get kicked over the Richard Donald stand and into the North Sea if we'd tried to play him in the first team.

haha for some reason I thought he was older. Thought I read he was nearer 18 ?‍♂️

Still, hes surely better than McLennan even though he'd be dragged away by a seagull 

6 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Who was that?

Lewis Pirie. Number 10. First goal was outstanding. Thought Aberdeen created a lot of great chances after a really bad first 20 minutes. Believe u16s are now top of the league with Celtic away Sunday. Mikey had a good game last night. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, RUL said:

Lewis Pirie. Number 10. First goal was outstanding. Thought Aberdeen created a lot of great chances after a really bad first 20 minutes. Believe u16s are now top of the league with Celtic away Sunday. Mikey had a good game last night. 

?

7 hours ago, RUL said:

Great stuff, cheers. 

Another East End U16 midfielder recently signed for Dundee, hope AFC don’t regret that one. 

21 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Tuckers pal circa 1987 Grangehill.  Benny maybe?

When they used to get up to hilarious japes with the beardy PE teacher.  Before the hard drugs arrived.

Tucker had left GH by 1983. Was starring in Tucker's Luck by then

Benny Green was his mate. Real name Terry-Sue Patt. Was found dead a few years back. Well I say found dead...more found as a pool of decomposing mush, pathologist who post-mortemed whatever was left of him reckoned he'd snuffed it a minimum of one month earlier

35 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Aye, but it never seems to progress to first xi.

Hopefully these younger age groups buck the trend.

Think thats a bit unfair based on last few years, McKenna broke our transfer record a few years ago, Ramsay will do so again, Barron may well go for even more. I think we are in the best place youth wise for a very long time. Hopefully Duncan can make the step up this coming season and be the next 1 of the conveyor belt. Think in this day and age you very rarely see more than 1 or 2 make the step up at any club each season and alot of them eventually don't make the grade. We can be unhappy about alot of things at the club but I dont think the youth system is 1 of them. 

39 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Aye, but it never seems to progress to first xi.

Hopefully these younger age groups buck the trend.

Hope so but doubt it. Be full of wee Aberdonian hun mummys boys, spending their days at Cormack Park daydreaming about a move to their idols. 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Think thats a bit unfair based on last few years, McKenna broke our transfer record a few years ago, Ramsay will do so again, Barron may well go for even more. I think we are in the best place youth wise for a very long time. Hopefully Duncan can make the step up this coming season and be the next 1 of the conveyor belt. Think in this day and age you very rarely see more than 1 or 2 make the step up at any club each season and alot of them eventually don't make the grade. We can be unhappy about alot of things at the club but I dont think the youth system is 1 of them. 

I think that’s a fair point. It’s unrealistic to expect 4 or 5 to come through. If we can bring through one player a season it’s a success for me. 

having said that I believe the u16s are top of their league. How many Aberdeen youth teams have put 5 past rangers and then scored 6 in Glasgow against Celtic the week after? Be interesting to see what becomes of this group.

u15s are playing Liverpool in a semi final tomorrow. They’ve a centre half who looks outstanding, Lewis Carroll I think. 

5 hours ago, RUL said:

I think that’s a fair point. It’s unrealistic to expect 4 or 5 to come through. If we can bring through one player a season it’s a success for me. 

having said that I believe the u16s are top of their league. How many Aberdeen youth teams have put 5 past rangers and then scored 6 in Glasgow against Celtic the week after? Be interesting to see what becomes of this group.

u15s are playing Liverpool in a semi final tomorrow. They’ve a centre half who looks outstanding, Lewis Carroll I think. 

Years ago, when AFC took 3 or 4 of our 2007 age group (so U16s now) primary school team in on trial (and eventually dumped them all) there was a Fraserburgh lad in that team scoring a barrowload of goals, Fraser someone, Mackie maybe? Is he still there? Not seen him at boys club level so assume he must be. Ellis Clark was another, Westhill boy, great player.

6 hours ago, RUL said:

Is the correct answer. There's a million other factors that determine who make it and who don't over and above technical ability alone. All the club can do is scout and offer facilities to the boys they consider the best chance - invest and expand the facilities and you better the odds.

Some result for the 16s. I fucking knew the steroids program would pay aff :trophy:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Years ago, when AFC took 3 or 4 of our 2007 age group (so U16s now) primary school team in on trial (and eventually dumped them all) there was a Fraserburgh lad in that team scoring a barrowload of goals, Fraser someone, Mackie maybe? Is he still there? Not seen him at boys club level so assume he must be. Ellis Clark was another, Westhill boy, great player.

Yeah, both still there. Fraser is now on the wing as they appear to play 4231 or 433.

I think the recruitment is pretty strong now. Hopefully we aren’t missing out on the next Armstrong or shinnie.