Bruce Anderson

I couldn't tell you if Anderson is good enough for the us or not as I've hardly seen him play. The boy only got a few minutes here and there and the occasional start and never seemed to get a run of games.

Even the few games he started, he appeared to be up against it because we seemed to use the same tactics as when Cosgrove played and the nearest player was 20-30 yards away from him.

He might turn out like Shankland and become a decent SPFL player or like McManus knocking about the lower leagues.

Good luck to the lad, I think his time here is up but hope he gets a decent club who will give him a chance and play to his strengths.

12 minutes ago, Poodler said:

A natural goal scorer that's no use up front

indeed!

How can you tell though? A striker not being good when he has to deal with hopeless long balls the whole game doesn't mean they're entirely useless.

We've seen some real moments of quality from him, goal against the huns and the goal against Livingston. Play him and get the ball to his feet.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Still not good enough though, Ernie. 

Good luck to him though. 

McInnes has made so many Aberdeen players appear shite yet Anderson gets lambasted as shite without the acknowledgment of the McInnes effect.

I will always maintain that Anderson was never given any kind of decent chance under McInnes whilst other players were clearly given far more (too many) opportunities to prove their shiteness 

I am not saying Anderson is great but he has not been proven as shite like so many seem to think. He has simply been extremely badly managed imo. McInnes needs to get fkd off before he ruins any more young players confidence & progression 

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

McInnes has made so many Aberdeen players appear shite yet Anderson gets lambasted as shite without the acknowledgment of the McInnes effect.

I will always maintain that Anderson was never given any kind of decent chance under McInnes whilst other players were clearly given far for opportunities to prove their shiteness 

I am not saying Anderson is great but he has not been proven as shite like so many seem to think. He has simply been extremely badly managed imo. McInnes needs to get fkd off before he ruins any more young players confidence & progression 

A goal and an assist today for Accies today as they win 4-1 at Motherwell.

Just now, Medw1311 said:

A goal and an assist today for Accies today as they win 4-1 at Motherwell.

I’m not going to jump on that bandwagon yet but he certainly hasn’t embarrassed himself yet, if anything he is proving his own point to McInnes & good luck to him on that part as he deserves to rub McInnes’s nose in it.

so many fans will not be fussed at losing him in summer but I will as he has been shafted by McInnes imo & I would prefer he came back to us under a different manager.

20 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I’m not going to jump on that bandwagon yet but he certainly hasn’t embarrassed himself yet, if anything he is proving his own point to McInnes & good luck to him on that part as he deserves to rub McInnes’s nose in it.

so many fans will not be fussed at losing him in summer but I will as he has been shafted by McInnes imo & I would prefer he came back to us under a different manager.

Exactly. If he's not good enough and we have much better options then fair enough. 

But it's pretty galling when he's getting bumped for shite like Curtis Main, Ryan Edmundson, St Johnstones 4th choice striker, and whatever other shite McInnes will decide to sign (in the event that he somehow manages not to get the dunt). 

maybe that's his level but he's certainly not gonna get a long chance here to find out

we create so little up front that strikers we could only dream of signing wouldna score many

this cant be a good club to entice quality yung anes here as so few seem to get a chance for 1st team footie & when they do its a few mins here or there, shit scouting shit coaching

depressed

aye cans!

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

Anderson got a chance v Huns and v Soul Bar. Fucked it

I've got some sympathy for Anderson and for the likes of Cammie Smith before him.  I would like to see our younger players get more starts rather than 5 minutes off the bench at the end. 

If you're just going to do that you'd be better loaning them out for 6 months or a year. And at a younger age rather than wait until they are in their 20s and in the last few months of their contract. Pointless then. 

There's no doubt though that Bruce had an opportunity this season and fucked it up by getting himself unnecessarily caught up in the covid thing.  At that point we got Edmondson and then Watkins in on loan and his chance had gone.  

15 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Hornby gets 3 games in a row does nothing of note and I would bet he gets a 4th on Wednesday, Anderson never got anything like that kind of run

It's no coincidence that he's doing well as he's getting played in a front 2 alongside a bigger, physical type striker.

McInnes prefers to play one up front. Usually a big old unit but if injury precluded he would stick Anderson in and generally he was useless as a lone striker. 

It's for the best all round that he's now with Hamilton and able to put himself in the shop window for a contract next season. Ideally at another SPL club as then we would be due a development payment 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I've got some sympathy for Anderson and for the likes of Cammie Smith before him.  I would like to see our younger players get more starts rather than 5 minutes off the bench at the end. 

If you're just going to do that you'd be better loaning them out for 6 months or a year. And at a younger age rather than wait until they are in their 20s and in the last few months of their contract. Pointless then. 

There's no doubt though that Bruce had an opportunity this season and fucked it up by getting himself unnecessarily caught up in the covid thing.  At that point we got Edmondson and then Watkins in on loan and his chance had gone.  

I'd like to see a future manager use the squad more full stop; youngsters or oldsters.

When you dont use a sub for more than 10 mins in 5 it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that they are useless.

McInnes has done it season after season.

I'd like to see the next manager try to use the squad a bit more. It doesnt need to be any more than rotating a player every second game or so

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

It's no coincidence that he's doing well as he's getting played in a front 2 alongside a bigger, physical type striker.

McInnes prefers to play one up front. Usually a big old unit but if injury precluded he would stick Anderson in and generally he was useless as a lone striker. 

It's for the best all round that he's now with Hamilton and able to put himself in the shop window for a contract next season. Ideally at another SPL club as then we would be due a development payment 

And when he did play 2 this season went with Main and Cosgrove bizarrely . I think Anderson will get at least a contract with Hamilton and maybe a StJohnstone or United if he keeps doing well

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'd like to see a future manager use the squad more full stop; youngsters or oldsters.

When you dont use a sub for more than 10 mins in 5 it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that they are useless.

I'd like to see the next manager try to use the squad a bit more. It doesnt need to be any more than rotating a player every second game or so

Has Mcinnes even used 5 subs at all this season, his biggest problem is he plays certain players week after week even if they are playing badly, Hayes and Considne among others at the moment. We have a young left back Mckenzie been on the bench for a few games and he hasn't even tried him when Hayes has been utterly pish, you would think he could at least give the lad a try you never know he might turn out to be good

Just now, Tord31 said:

Exactly. 

Folk will point out that McLennan and Campbell have had a fair few starts so he does promote youth.  And I accept that to a degree. 

McLennan though seems to be in a different position in a different formation every time he gets a start though then we're surprised when he doesn't perform. 

Campbell generally gets brought in when the team is decimated and/or in poor form. 

Part of football of course and you've got to try and take your chances when you get them. It's a ruthless business. 

But, the smart move would be to give these guys starts in other games as well when the team is settled and in good form.  Much easier to integrate and play their natural game then. 

5 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'd like to see a future manager use the squad more full stop; youngsters or oldsters

I don't understand why McInnes signs so many senior pros to sit on the bench.

To me, we should be spending more of our budget on our experienced first xi and filling the bench with younger players, who're mostly boys we've brought through. 

We get a better first team when everyone is fit and our youngsters get more chances. Spending a first team wage on donkeys like Main or Ojo or leigh to sit on the bench is outrageous. 

It may leave us short if we had a bad spell of injuries but I'm okay with that if we're at least giving young lads a chance in such circumstances. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Signing older players or loan players to sit on the bench is absolutely the biggest waste of time and money 

I can see the value of signing young players on loan if they're potentially exceptional (ward, Maddison, Christie) but signing guys who're clearly average at best is pointless. 

26 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Not if we don’t offer him a contract?

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't understand why McInnes signs so many senior pros to sit on the bench.

To me, we should be spending more of our budget on our experienced first xi and filling the bench with younger players, who're mostly boys we've brought through. 

We get a better first team when everyone is fit and our youngsters get more chances. Spending a first team wage on donkeys like Main or Ojo or leigh to sit on the bench is outrageous. 

It may leave us short if we had a bad spell of injuries but I'm okay with that if we're at least giving young lads a chance in such circumstances. 

Spot on. Would be a far better use of funds. Quality over quantity 

There’s too much risk playing young players unless they are very good. It’s a cliche but football is a results business and managers will stick to players they know they can rely on.

Ngwenya looked like a headless chicken when he came on against County and we lost yet people complain that we don’t give youth a try.

The fact is we don’t really have any good prospects coming through the ranks but that’s an issue for Scottish football in general. The whole thing needs overhauled from the ground up but that’s a whole different matter.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 2