Connor Mclennan

5 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

He obviously has some ability to have been offered a contract as a pro football player.  I remember he used to get the ball and attack the full back and was a bit hit and miss but under McInnes his game time was limited. Under Glass ( still with limited game time) he wants to lay the ball off at the earliest opportunity. Has Glass instructed him not to try and beat his man?   He either doesn't believe he can get by his man or Glass doesn't , either way is going to affect his confidence.

I made a point of watching him at the Hibs game and I thought he was hiding. 

McLennan had a habit of holding onto the ball too long and ultimately get tackled.

Maybe Glass  and/or the coaches have been trying o get him to release the ball earlier and make a run using his pace

It is all very well saying send Connor McLennan out on loan.With very,very few exceptions being sent out on loan by Aberdeen is the beginning of the end.Outwardly,the club is encouraging,go out on loan and do well.In reality,the club are actually saying you're no really good enough,we've got enough players here, we don't really need you.

• Site Sponsor
38 minutes ago, graham said:

It is all very well saying send Connor McLennan out on loan.With very,very few exceptions being sent out on loan by Aberdeen is the beginning of the end.Outwardly,the club is encouraging,go out on loan and do well.In reality,the club are actually saying you're no really good enough,we've got enough players here, we don't really need you.

All noted but what’s your stance on McLennan?

Mine us that he’s sadly not been consistent enough at this level so needs to find a level which suits him ie Championship

11 hours ago, Dom Sullivan said:

All noted but what’s your stance on McLennan?

Mine us that he’s sadly not been consistent enough at this level so needs to find a level which suits him ie Championship

I like Connor McLennan.I would persevere with him and give him more games in the Aberdeen first team.I like to see young local players coming through and doing well.I will freely admit I am probably biased and blinkered in that belief, and not the best judge or person to ask.

• Site Sponsor
1 hour ago, graham said:

I like Connor McLennan.I would persevere with him and give him more games in the Aberdeen first team.I like to see young local players coming through and doing well.I will freely admit I am probably biased and blinkered in that belief, and not the best judge or person to ask.

I’m with you on the young players coming through -absolutely.

Thing is Connor at 22 is no longer a youngster and I’m not convinced that we’ve seen enough from him to show that he can make it at this level.

Pity, but there has to come a point where he makes it or the club has to cut loose and give another youngster a chance

3 hours ago, Dom Sullivan said:

I’m with you on the young players coming through -absolutely.

Thing is Connor at 22 is no longer a youngster and I’m not convinced that we’ve seen enough from him to show that he can make it at this level.

Pity, but there has to come a point where he makes it or the club has to cut loose and give another youngster a chance

Dom, totally agree with your comments

On 12/29/2021 at 9:20 AM, graham said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with Barron... if his excursion has prepared him to stake a claim.

With McLennan and Campbell, both players have been in and around the first team for years, but neither has really kicked on.  IMO - a lack of game time is a large factor.  Young players need to play and both these lads have hardly played since they arrived on the scene.  They haven't had a chance to develop really...

1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with Barron... if his excursion has prepared him to stake a claim.

With McLennan and Campbell, both players have been in and around the first team for years, but neither has really kicked on.  IMO - a lack of game time is a large factor.  Young players need to play and both these lads have hardly played since they arrived on the scene.  They haven't had a chance to develop really...

Yeah, it's someone else's fault eh?

6 minutes ago, graham said:

I used to think that McLennan would develop into an effective player at this level as he matured, much like Martin Doyle has done, as he has undoubted physical assets. 

But the evidence so far after a bright start to his career doesn't really support that theory unfortunately! 

I remember one night Connor McLennan came on at half time against Livingston with us 2 -1 down and completely  transformed the game He turned defenders inside out on the right wing,good crosses, and set up the equaliser. Eventually a Lewis Ferguson overhead kick right at the end gave the Dons a 3-2 win.Connor was the difference and the man of the match.That was December 2018 !

45 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I used to think that McLennan would develop into an effective player at this level as he matured, much like Martin Doyle has done, as he has undoubted physical assets. 

But the evidence so far after a bright start to his career doesn't really support that theory unfortunately! 

Agree with this. I've backed McLennan due to his early promise and I hoped his game intelligence would improve with experience. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's the case and he's still making the same stupid mistakes as he did 3 years ago.

He has some ability and I reckon he'll have a decent SPFL premiership career but I don't think he's consistently good enough for that to be at Aberdeen. 

44 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Apropos of nothing I watched the young lad Towler (?) come on at half time for Elgin today.  Out on loan this week.  Played left back. Decent (bar one very funny trip when he broke and fell over on the Borough Briggs 5G bowling green).

anyone know anything about him?

Captain of Barry Robson’s U18s. Think he’s just turned 17. Plays left back or left centre half. 

Good to see more U18s getting loaned out, like Ryan Duncan. I’d also like to see the striker Liam Harvey getting loaned out too, he looks decent and would benefit from getting knocked about from journeyman pros in the lower leagues.

25 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Captain of Barry Robson’s U18s. Think he’s just turned 17. Plays left back or left centre half. 

Good to see more U18s getting loaned out, like Ryan Duncan. I’d also like to see the striker Liam Harvey getting loaned out too, he looks decent and would benefit from getting knocked about from journeyman pros in the lower leagues.

Agree,I had said that for older players who have had a taste of first team football it was not a good sign for the player's prospects and place in the plans.For young players at the very start of their senior career, a spell out on loan is perfectly understandable and can be a very positive .experience.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

That trip shows he’s just not ready for the rigors of the mans game though.

Shame

On 1/2/2022 at 3:44 PM, graham said:

I remember one night Connor McLennan came on at half time against Livingston with us 2 -1 down and completely  transformed the game He turned defenders inside out on the right wing,good crosses, and set up the equaliser. Eventually a Lewis Ferguson overhead kick right at the end gave the Dons a 3-2 win.Connor was the difference and the man of the match.That was December 2018 !

I remember a time scott Muirhead ripped celtic apart as we beat them at parkhead to smash a ridiculous unbeaten home record 

Not sure what relevance that has though either 

Hello Millertime,the Livingston display by Connor McLennan,  and over three years ago, just illustrates he has been a good player for quite some time and undoubtedly has the ability to be a fine player in the future for Aberdeen.He is older now and perhaps at a crossroads, but don't give up on him yet.