Jon Gallagher signs on loan

If he's good enough just to make Logan raise his game then its win win.

Logan has had an easy ride with nobody putting pressure on him losing his place.

If he's brought in with a view to play in more advanced role & he can put pressure on the likes of McLennan, May etc. then that's also win win.

I think Mays days with Aberdeen are numbered tbh. He will be gone before window closes, maybe on loan but my guess will be mutual consent & we pay up part of his contract

By “decent” I mean most Aberdeen fans would be happy with that player signing. Main, Taylor, Hedges and Gallagher are underwhelming to say the least. Yes they may turn out fine but right now most of us will be underwhelmed.

Taylor we know is shite. Fair enough. Really poor signing.

The others still have a decent chance of being positive signings. Agreed the chance of all being a success are slim but we know Taylor is already filling one of the failure stats.

Main could be a battering ram version of May but maybe with better shooting boots.

Hedges & Gallagher could be a pleasant surprise also.

I'm not going to write off any of them other than Taylor yet.

Taylor we know is shite. Fair enough. Really poor signing.

The others still have a decent chance of being positive signings. Agreed the chance of all being a success are slim but we know Taylor is already filling one of the failure stats.

Main could be a battering ram version of May but maybe with better shooting boots.

Hedges & Gallagher could be a pleasant surprise also.

I'm not going to write off any of them other than Taylor yet.

If Taylor is coming in as one of the 4 then that's one thing. If he's coming in because McKenna is being sold that's a different thing altogether.

Main will do the defensive forward job in games against teams McInnes rates. I hope the boy does well but I can't see it.

Giggs rates Hedges and he should know a thing or two about left wingers (and shagging sisters in law) so km actually quite hopeful on that one.

Bryson is a superb signing, no doubt whatsoever.

I'm calling shite on the American lad but I hope I'm proved wrong obviously.

It's a mixed bag so far.

I think Mays days with Aberdeen are numbered tbh. He will be gone before window closes, maybe on loan but my guess will be mutual consent & we pay up part of his contract

I think he'll still be here next season. McInnes won't be ready just yet to admit he fucked up and will still hope to justify the big outlay. Out on loan in Jan.

A few of you on this forum may remember this but over 10 years ago we had an American on trial (recommended by Bobby Clark) who I believe played for Notre Dame. I believe he was a striker. I recall his trial was cut short and he failed to impress. 

College football over here isn't terribly wonderful - however that doesn't mean there aren't individuals in the American college football setup who can't play at a much higher level. St Mirren had success with Andy Dorman.

Lets see how he does before writing him off.

Edit: Joseph Lapira was the the American trialist. Supposedly was a superstar for Notre Dame who I recall was the top goalscorer at college level. Went onto to play in the lower leagues of Norway eventually retiring at the age of 26.

You're using "decent" wrongly

And if you're classing hedges as underwhelming, then you're a helmet

Signing Hedges is not exactly like signing an established player like GMS. I totally understand we have budget limitations and need to look at fridge players in England but he was not a regular in a league one side. He maybe a great signing but we know very little of him (currently).

On the left he has just signed for a side battling relegation and under a manager who's methods were so antiquated they made Terry Butcher look like Pep Guardiola . On the right he's just signed a massively lucrative contract with the idea of seeing out his career. Wonder why there's such a difference?

Signing Hedges is not exactly like signing an established player like GMS. I totally understand we have budget limitations and need to look at fridge players in England but he was not a regular in a league one side. He maybe a great signing but we know very little of him (currently).

What you're saying is let's not give him a chilly reception. 

• Downvote 1

“If ATL didn't have one of the best RB's in MLS, I think Gallagher would have had a chance by now.

He's a converted attacker, about a year into that process now. Has taken to it quickly, solid defensively. Great work rate, dangerous in final third. Can score & create.”

This was on Derek Rae’s twitter feed. He asked an American counterpart his thoughts on Gallagher.

A few of you on this forum may remember this but over 10 years ago we had an American on trial (recommended by Bobby Clark) who I believe played for Notre Dame. I believe he was a striker. I recall his trial was cut short and he failed to impress.

College football over here isn't terribly wonderful - however that doesn't mean there aren't individuals in the American college football setup who can't play at a much higher level. St Mirren had success with Andy Dorman.

Lets see how he does before writing him off.

Edit: Joseph Lapira was the the American trialist. Supposedly was a superstar for Notre Dame who I recall was the top goalscorer at college level. Went onto to play in the lower leagues of Norway eventually retiring at the age of 26.

And even before Joe we had John Milne who studied at Dartmouth when BC was head coach their. Both very talented athletes and also highly talented academically. Many of these types fall out of the game due to them pursuing careers in other fields.

There have been many players from the states that have made it in the EPL so hopefully Jon can be a star for us.

We were in actual fact offered 2 players who had studied at Stanford Uni many years ago. At the time AFC turned their noses up at the very thought of it... both players went on to have established careers in EPL and played for their country.

Let’s give the loon a chance to see what he can do. I , for one am happy we have looked beyond the lower leagues of England for once.

• Downvote 2

So you think he's a cool signing

• Downvote 1

Good job we haven't paid any money for him, from our point of view he's a free 'un (freon).

Atlanta seem to think we're developing their boy for them.

I thought it was a try before you buy for us.

Scottish football has fallen further than I realised

They are the MLS champions and apparently the right back they have is brilliant.

Some of the MLS is poor but there is also some brilliant players there.

Atlanta are only a new MLS side but still managed to win the cup this year. Saying that, this fellow has only played with their reserve side Atlanta 2 so this looks very much like a punt in the hope he comes good. Hard to say why he hasn’t broken into the first team, he’s not exactly a youngster either.

Reads like this is the result of some kind of agreement between the two clubs as part of our clubs strategy of trying to find investment in the States.