Cormack Thread

49 minutes ago, minijc said:

I'll get branded as fishing but I'd put myself forward as someone that things he needs a bit more time.  The St Johnstone and Dundee games are the only two where I was properly concerned, other games I can see how things were almost working however there has to be a change to our shape this weekend and to a couple of players as well otherwise it's then clear he hasn't got it in himself to change it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome - I'd take a scrappy dour negative defensive 1-0 win v Hibs on Saturday, changes in shape and in personnel needed though.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

The most critical folk on here don't even go to games? 

And?

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Even then, go find a poster who still thinks he needs time...

Indeed, there aren't many.

1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

Are you only a fan if you physically attend games?

Appears to be the case in some opinons.

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

That's not really true though.

I see many posters in this thread commenting who I know are season ticket holders/go home and away.

I'll speak for me though, I certainly don't. I'm glad I don't. I've a record of Motherwell away and that was bad enough. This emphasis on going to games is nonsense. Cormack doesn't go to every game but yet he can comment... oh yeah sorry the data.

Correct, it's a retarded view.

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

I go to games and am critical -

Oh no!

1 hour ago, RUL said:

There was a poll last week where 30% said end of season or something? 

FFS min, there was a more recent one after the Dundee game, with 93% wanting him binned.

:clangers2:

Glass, stick or twist? - AFC and Scottish Football - AFC Chat - Aberdeen Football Forum (afc-chat.co.uk)

49 minutes ago, RUL said:

If we get blocked again I don't think I could go back to it.

Excellent.

Then your opinon on AFC will be invalid.

I thought DC came across very well in the whole interview, he is backing  all the staff to turn it around together including himself , Stats are a massive part of sport today and he added the stats are excellent which they are , all fans must pull together ,it appears to me its the same ones constantly banging on about the team , the coaches , the directors ,the owners etc,its not as we are getting hammered every wk , we are close to making it work so lets get back to being supporters of AFC .

6 minutes ago, starryfish said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome - I'd take a scrappy dour negative defensive 1-0 win v Hibs on Saturday, changes in shape and in personnel needed though.

Right now I'd take that, for me, with the players we have he has to go to 3 at the back, now Gallagher, Bates and McRorie all have their issues but I genuinely that as a 3 they could work very well together.  Moving to that allows more freedom and protection for having Ramsay and MacKenzie being attack minded.  I also feel that we should have 2 up top, both Watkins and Samuels would have more influence on a game if they played alongside Ramirez, he would also benefit massively from it.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, BIG FAN said:

I thought DC came across very well in the whole interview, he is backing  all the staff to turn it around together including himself , Stats are a massive part of sport today and he added the stats are excellent which they are , all fans must pull together ,it appears to me its the same ones constantly banging on about the team , the coaches , the directors ,the owners etc,its not as we are getting hammered every wk , we are close to making it work so lets get back to being supporters of AFC .

This is an attempt at humour, right? 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Let's put AFC Chat to one side then.

What are your families thoughts on Glass? Your social media friends? Your real life pals? Conversations in a bar you over hear? What's App groups you may have?

In my circle, I don't believe there is a single person who wishes to see Glass fail but they certainly don't believe he is up to the job and Cormack is a liar throughout the whole prawcess when we ALL knew in February before McInnes was gone that he had lined up Glass. I'm sure you received the messages also. There was no prawcess. He lied. 

And now he expects us to believe anything he says in some passionate cringeworthy radio interview? 

Supplementary question.  How many of that sample would want to revert unconditionally to McInnes-ball circa 2019-21?

14 minutes ago, BIG FAN said:

Good morning Dave, how was your Bacon Rowie this morning?

41 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Maybe min, but it was more an interview devoid of any football nous whatsoever and more about statistics and data as the main Key Performance Indicators rather than results on the pitch. That's pure corporate rhetoric and not applicable in football.

I'd disagree there. Some good examples of data driven decision making having a significant impact on a clubs fortunes. Brentford are probably the best example at the moment.

If the club want to go down that route then I'd be happy instead of having a another well known Scottish face who will keep it tight and hit teams on the break.

35 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Aye I agree with this, stats without context don’t mean anything.

An example would be shots on target, we could have 5 in a game and an opposition 1, but our 5 could all be scuffed or timid efforts that are easy to save, whilst the 1 for them is part of a free flowing 10 pass move that cuts us open, and they had a few off target that were the same…stats would say we are hard done by but the facts on the pitch would show otherwise

Absolutely spot on min. 

The argument put forward by Cormack in relation to our performance down at Fir Park, using stats and data to substantiate what he's saying, was desperate, especially when referring to the conversation he had with their chief executive.

It doesn’t matter than we had 20 odd shots that day and Motherwell had only 2 on target.

There are fundamental reasons as to why they beat us 2-0. Two shambolic pieces of defending plus our dire inability to shoot and head accurately when in the opposition's penalty area, and our heavy reliance on playing only one recognised striker on his own up top.

Factor in a manager who has no tactical nous, doesn’t know what his best starting 11 is, and is clearly unaware of what the best formation to adopt with the players available at any given time, and you have a recipe for relegation. 

After hearing that interview last night, Stephen Glass is being well and truly hung out to dry and I genuinely feel sorry for him.

9 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Absolutely spot on min. 

The argument put forward by Cormack in relation to our performance down at Fir Park, using stats and data to substantiate what he's saying, was desperate, especially when referring to the conversation he had with their chief executive.

It doesn’t matter than we had 20 odd shots that day and Motherwell had only 2 on target.

There are fundamental reasons as to why they beat us 2-0. Two shambolic pieces of defending plus our dire inability to shoot and head accurately when in the opposition's penalty area, and our heavy reliance on playing only one recognised striker on his own up top.

Factor in a manager who has no tactical nous, doesn’t know what his best starting 11 is, and is clearly unaware of what the best formation to adopt with the players available at any given time, and you have a recipe for relegation. 

After hearing that interview last night, Stephen Glass is being well and truly hung out to dry and I genuinely feel sorry for him.

What does “not sure what his best 11 is” even mean? 

How many managers know this? It’s a term coined off TV that is total irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, brownie said:

I'd disagree there. Some good examples of data driven decision making having a significant impact on a clubs fortunes. Brentford are probably the best example at the moment.

If the club want to go down that route then I'd be happy instead of having a another well known Scottish face who will keep it tight and hit teams on the break.

Yer right in what you are saying min, and have put it over in a far more clearer and educated manner than what Dave Cormack did last night.

Generally, but not always, of course, the better the statistics and data you accrue in comparison to your opponent during a match, you will normally win or come bloody close to doing so. 

However, Cormack fails to address the main reasons as to why we are losing games, never mind drawing matches, regardless of the amount of possession we have had in games this season and shots on or off target. He uses this stat to hide behind as an easy get-out as far as I'm concerned. 

It's the conversion rate of shots on target to goals the opposition we've played this season have enjoyed is the most glaring and appalling stat and one that he never applied reason to as to why this is. 

We, as supporters, all know the reasons, so what doesn't he?

49 minutes ago, BIG FAN said:

You can’t pick & choose stats, like you’re doing.

Here’s some stats for you.

We haven’t won in 10 games. 
We have comfortably the 3rd biggest budget in the league. We’re 9th.. & falling. 
We have had ONE clean sheet in 22 Stephen Glass games.  
We’re on our worst run in 11 years, make that 22 if we don’t beat Hibs. 
Glass has a win ratio of 26% prior to being our manager/head coach. 

Cormack is delusional. 
This will never work & we’re stuck with a bloke who’s clearly out his depth and will be for the foreseeable because Cormack has backed himself right in to a corner now. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You can’t pick & choose stats, like you’re doing.

Here’s some stats for you.

We haven’t won in 10 games. 
We have comfortably the 3rd biggest budget in the league. We’re 9th.. & falling. 
We have had ONE clean sheet in 22 Stephen Glass games.  
We’re on our worst run in 11 years, make that 22 if we don’t beat Hibs. 
Glass has a win ratio of 26% prior to being our manager/head coach. 

Cormack is delusional. 
This will never work & we’re stuck with a bloke who’s clearly out his depth and will be for the foreseeable because Cormack has backed himself right in to a corner now. 

Cormack is backing him to turn it around. This narrative that he will never change his mind is wrong. He just thinks it’s too early.

13 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

How many managers know this? It’s a term coined off TV that is total irrelevant.

Also the problem with "best 11" is that you're relying on a) no injuries b) those 11 players actually playing well and in form and c) the formation of for that 11 needs to work with the side we are playing against.  Amazing how people just assume being a football manager is just picking the 11 "best" players like in Championship Manager based on some stats and then chucking them in the same formation every week.

2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The most successful teams always have a consistently played best 11 and only need to make minor changes to the team in times of injuries and suspensions. 

Teams that do this generally win trophies and qualify for European competition, if in the top division of their league, of course.

I remember one team of using 14 or 15 players during a season they won their domestic league title. 

Surely, it cannot be that difficult to identify your best 11 players who adapt to a formation imposed by their manager and achieve the desired results, considering the manager oversees his players in training and on the pitch on a regular basis??

I was speaking to a mate of mine who is still playing at a decent level the other day about this, based on Aberdeen adopting a formation that allows our full-backs to bomb up and down their respective wings, arguably our most creative outlet.

For example, time and time again when we lose possession whilst attacking, a ball is played over the top by the opposition to expose our frailties in central defence as quite frankly our central defenders our awful, the primary weakness in our team. This tactic works a treat for the opposition and did for Dundee's first goal on Saturday. 

The other ways to score against us at the moment is running at our central defence, or beating one of our full-backs and crossing into the penalty area for the inevitable ball-watching by our central defence and the ultimate opposition goal.

One of our best ever teams adopted a similar approach with Stewart McKimmie and David Robertson as our full-backs, with a combination of two out of Miller/McLeish/Irvine in the central defensive pairing, and the ever-dependable Brian Grant playing just in front of them. 

My point being every player had their roles with or without the ball and stuck rigidly to it. That doesn't happen with our current crop.

However, when you have recruited the likes of Gallagher and Bates, and previously McCrorie, to play in the middle of defence with next to no protection in front of them, when quite clearly they are not good enough and don'tcommunicate with each other, surely a new formation with the best 11 available to fit it is an absolute must, moving forward. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

The most successful teams always have a consistently played best 11 and only need to make minor changes to the team in times of injuries and suspensions. 

Teams that do this generally win trophies and qualify for European competition, if in the top division of their league, of course.

I remember one team of using 14 or 15 players during a season they won their domestic league title. 

Surely, it cannot be that difficult to identify your best 11 players who adapt to a formation imposed by their manager and achieve the desired results, considering the manager oversees his players in training and on the pitch on a regular basis??

I was speaking to a mate of mine who is still playing at a decent level the other day about this, based on Aberdeen adopting a formation that allows our full-backs to bomb up and down their respective wings, arguably our most creative outlet.

For example, time and time again when we lose possession whilst attacking, a ball is played over the top by the opposition to expose our frailties in central defence as quite frankly our central defenders our awful, the primary weakness in our team. This tactic works a treat for the opposition and did for Dundee's first goal on Saturday. 

The other ways to score against us at the moment is running at our central defence, or beating one of our full-backs and crossing into the penalty area for the inevitable ball-watching by our central defence and the ultimate opposition goal.

One of our best ever teams adopted a similar approach with Stewart McKimmie and David Robertson as our full-backs, with a combination of two out of Miller/McLeish/Irvine in the central defensive pairing, and the ever-dependable Brian Grant playing just in front of them. 

My point being every player had their roles with or without the ball and stuck rigidly to it. That doesn't happen with our current crop.

However, when you have recruited the likes of Gallagher and Bates, and previously McCrorie, to play in the middle of defence with next to no protection in front of them, when quite clearly they are not good enough and don'tcommunicate with each other, surely a new formation with the best 11 available to fit it is an absolute must, moving forward. 

Best teams in the world chop and change all the time. Common practice to do this early in the season. Plenty teams at the start of a transition do this, it’s the way it works.

For what it’s worth how many changes does Glass make? Keeper is one. Full backs always the same, centre half has been affected by injury, midfield always Brown and Ferguson, Ramirez and Hedges will always play. Only leaves 3 positions up for grabs.

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

In what way is he being hung out to dry? He's getting fully supported by the chairman. 

Granted but not if he is not in full control of transfers. A manager should always get the final say on such matters.

He had had to answer the questions of reporters as to why it is not working, whilst the DoF and Head of Recruitment are nowhere to be heard or seen. 

That's why he has been hung out to dry.

Guest findlay_1903
33 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He was so complimentary and congratulatory of Dave that I suspected he's after a job here. 

Right, here me out here. I totally agree, john Collins was basically flirting with Dave Cormack, until Uber hun Kenny macintyre then talked over the top of him. DC was right, nobody can get a word in when Kenny anchors that show. 
Honking bear that he is! 
I’d love it if this sparked us and we beat the sevco after crushing hibees on Saturday!