Cormack Thread

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Don't agree at all. The vast majority of clubs operate under a DoF structure, with a DoF or sporting director in charge of recruitment. 

Glass knew that was the structure when he took the job, nothing has changed. 

I just wonder what am missing when it comes to the DOF decision making for some of our signings. 

I mean the likes of Gallagher you can understand; knows the league, capped internationally, plenty of experience etc. 
Jet - I can almost sort of understand although it was pretty obvious that a guy with a history of being a lazy waste of space was going to turn out exactly like that. 
But, the likes of Gurr, Samuels & Jenks? What in the name of all that is holy would make you think they should be signed?

Why have such an unbalanced squad. Imagine if Ramirez gets injured who are our central strikers? Jet? Watkins?  

This is the frustrating thing, we are a shambles in every facet of our club. 

recruitment - garbage overall on the evidence to date. 

tactics- poor. Too easily nullified and countered 

coaching - as we are getting worse at a rapid pace we can chalk this up as another failure

players attitude- we don’t yet look like the crestfallen side that Mcinnes inherited but we are not far off. 

Glass gets the most ire as he’s the public face and that’s only correct as if we were doing well he would get the most credit. But, he’s only partly to blame for the total shitshow that we are witnessing  

26 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Who do we think leaked the story prior to the game v Hibs at Easter road earlier this year that McInnes was out if we didn't win?

Who do you think told the person who leaked that story?

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

I think it's pretty clear that despite Cormack being in his position and having his guys on the board, Milne and his guys are also still making up the board.  Just a guess, maybe wrong.

Puts the radio performance into fresh light though as criticism from within is likely to have stirred this outburst - as was observed elsewhere there is more than a hint of the Trump about him 

Listened to it again in the cold light of day. 

The chairman genuinely seems to think that everything is fine and we've just been unlucky. Completely in denial at this point.  Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the view that things are almost working to change to things haven't worked. 

Yeah the goading of the Huns and the media was a good laugh and hopefully it lights a few fires under people at the club before Saturday but we're in a bit of trouble behind the scenes i reckon.  

Let's hope we get a win on Saturday to settle things down a bit otherwise things are liable to become toxic. 

43 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

I just wonder what am missing when it comes to the DOF decision making for some of our signings. 

I mean the likes of Gallagher you can understand; knows the league, capped internationally, plenty of experience etc. 
Jet - I can almost sort of understand although it was pretty obvious that a guy with a history of being a lazy waste of space was going to turn out exactly like that. 
But, the likes of Gurr, Samuels & Jenks? What in the name of all that is holy would make you think they should be signed?

Why have such an unbalanced squad. Imagine if Ramirez gets injured who are our central strikers? Jet? Watkins?  

This is the frustrating thing, we are a shambles in every facet of our club. 

recruitment - garbage overall on the evidence to date. 

tactics- poor. Too easily nullified and countered 

coaching - as we are getting worse at a rapid pace we can chalk this up as another failure

players attitude- we don’t yet look like the crestfallen side that Mcinnes inherited but we are not far off. 

Glass gets the most ire as he’s the public face and that’s only correct as if we were doing well he would get the most credit. But, he’s only partly to blame for the total shitshow that we are witnessing  

The fact they appointed Glass before making a DoF appointment (of a vastly inexperienced person) is a shambles. 

3 hours ago, DelMonte said:

What does “not sure what his best 11 is” even mean? 

How many managers know this? It’s a term coined off TV that is total irrelevant.

It seems to me that Glass thinks his best formation is 433 and his best 11 is this based on his selections this season - these are the players he picks when they are fit...

Lewis

Ramsay McCrorie Bates MacKenzie

Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Hayes

To me, the best formation would probably be 3412 or something along those lines with this line up

Lewis / Woods / Traffic Cone

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay Brown Ferguson MacKenzie

Hedges

Watkins Ramirez

It addresses a lot of glaringly obvious problems such as giving an extra defender (maybe 3 will be better than 2!), allows the full backs to push higher up and Brown just to sit and cover. Lets Hedges roam around a little behind the strikers, and gives Ramirez some much needed support up top. Stephen, if you're reading this, give it a go.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

It seems to me that Glass thinks his best formation is 433 and his best 11 is this based on his selections this season - these are the players he picks when they are fit...

Lewis

Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Hayes

To me, the best formation would probably be 3412 or something along those lines with this line up

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Hedges

Watkins Ramirez

It addresses a lot of glaringly obvious problems such as giving an extra defender (maybe 3 will be better than 2!), allows the full backs to push higher up and Brown just to sit and cover. Lets Hedges roam around a little behind the strikers, and gives Ramirez some much needed support up top. Stephen, if you're reading this, give it a go.

Aye that's worth a go. 

Either that or 442 for a while which is unfashionable but has its uses if one of the strikers is prepared to help out in midfield. 

4 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis

Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Hayes

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Hedges

Watkins Ramirez

Its only papers Stephen dosn't read so imagine he will be reading the hat ok.

15 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis

Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Hayes

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Hedges

Watkins Ramirez

I find this post incredibly sensible. It also seems to me that our (brief) early season form was less 433 and more 451 or some variation that is not too far from what you suggested. We even changed from 4 at the back to three at the back in one match which worked well, admittedly against some euro no marks. The only time jet has looked any good is when he plays high up the park and gets close to Ramirez. 

Just now, Sydney_Red said:

I find this post incredibly sensible. It also seems to me that our (brief) early season form was less 433 and more 451 or some variation that is not too far from what you suggested. We even changed from 4 at the back to three at the back in one match which worked well, admittedly against some euro no marks. The only time jet has looked any good is when he plays high up the park and gets close to Ramirez. 

The biggest thing out of all of our formations is that none of them matter if the players don’t follow instructions.

Now is our manager getting instructions across? Can the players see situations/dangers occurring by themselves? The goal we conceded to Celtic from the throw-in was nothing to do with formations or our full backs being too high, it was down to multiple players making individual decisions and errors within a 10 second spell. 

We could go 3 at the back but if they get too narrow or too wide then suddenly we are exposed again, if one goes forward, who fills in? Does Ramsay always stay high or does McCrorie shuffle across? If, to use your example, JET stayed high with Ramirez, who gives protection out wide to the overloaded full backs? If that’s the CMs then that leaves us exposed in there - just as an example of the level of thinking (and for me this is simple to for top flight it needs to go even more in depth) that needs to go into this but for the most part it needs players who can adapt to it and who have the energy and nous to spot any potential dangers as well as create opportunities. 

McInnes constantly tried 3 CBs at random times and it never seemed to work, maybe Glass would be more fortunate? Something tells me he has his one style though and can’t budge from it.

Base formations may work to an extent if you have ridiculous resources at your disposal (like Man Utd who still get results despite total tactical ineptitude) or at the lower levels where you don’t want players to do/think too much and keeping it simple is a good/safe mantra - for us to compete with the top sides it needs to be more than just a formation, it needs to be what a team does with and without the ball and how they manipulate situations to allow us to win games.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Don't agree at all. The vast majority of clubs operate under a DoF structure, with a DoF or sporting director in charge of recruitment. 

Glass knew that was the structure when he took the job, nothing has changed. 

That's fair enough but one of the manager's main jobs should be recruiting and in charge of all transfer activity. 

Maybe I'm old fashioned but feel the positions of DoF, Football Consultant, and Director of Football Strategy are completely needless and purely haemorrhage money from clubs. 

2 hours ago, AllyDon said:

I sadly had to get rid of a number of good friends this morning. Anyone on google maps over 1 hour drive - gone. Sad times!! 

The best laugh is that I don’t think Dave Cormack has many friends at all just business associates. If when he is back in Aberdeen and goes to the matches with Stewart Milne well that says it all. Who the hell would want to go to the football with Stewart Milne is beyond me. 

I don't see what a lot of fans on social media saw in his interview. A lot of fans were saying well done Dave for sticking up for AFC. Nobody last night was having a go at the club. They were asking legitimate questions and he went off on a tangent bunping his gums about stats and moaning that no-one cares about the club. The only stat that matters in the slightest is the fucking scoreline. We aren't unlucky. We're shite. And the fact that the manager has stuck by the same formation when it plainly doesn't work doesn't seem to bother some people. The chairman seems perfectly willing to write off this season. If results don't pick up and we go bottom at some point he can't now sack him can he?  I see no improvement whatsoever in any aspect of the team but if you speak against the chairman you're now suddenly a massive cunt and should support the huns. 

• Upvote 1