Cormack Thread

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

You have misunderstood my post. I had meant that would Newcastle not be interested in Potter.

That said, apparently Bruce has intimated that the Newcastle job may be his last

Sorry min, my misinterpretation.

I gather there are at least 11 names being touted for the Newcastle job. I wouldn't be surprised if Graham Potter is on that list.

I couldn't blame Steve Bruce for retiring. He doesn't owe football anything. He can retire gracefully.

5 minutes ago, thurso said:

Like what, could you please refresh my memory it was a long time ago so I might not be remembering him to well 

Hetherston was a decent enough player brought in with the unenviable task of filling the void left by the departed Jim Bett. 

No player could have been able to do that in line with the club's transfer budget. 

Bett was priceless.

Bobby Connor fucked off at the same time as Bett which never helped either.

1 minute ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Hetherston was a decent enough player brought in with the unenviable task of filling the void left by the departed Jim Bett. 

No player could have been able to do that in line with the club's transfer budget. 

Bett was priceless.

Bobby Connor fucked off at the same time as Bett which never helped either.

Jim bett now there’s a man we need he was way better than any midfielder in Scotland is now never mind our team. 

Always thought Bobby Conner was underrated. 

peter hetherston not so much 

9 minutes ago, thurso said:

Jim bett now there’s a man we need he was way better than any midfielder in Scotland is now never mind our team. 

Always thought Bobby Conner was underrated. 

peter hetherston not so much 

Jim Bett was an absolute class act and we declined rapidly once he left. That shows you just how good he was.

Bobby Connor was incredibly underrated, like you say. He had a wand of a left foot (two goals that spring to mind to highlight this point was his free-kick down at Motherwell (Willem van der Ark's debut) and his goal at Tynecastle when he rounded either Nicky Walker or Craig Nelson).

He should have had a plethora of caps for Scotland like many others at Aberdeen of that era.

1 minute ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Out of interest, who would you go for min?

Who's the current South Ronaldsay coach??

I said it before, but there are some folk who're seriously deluded about the quality of candidates we could attract! 

Reid had Hamilton Accies finishing 7th in the Premier League at one point and brought through heaps of talented youngsters.... then went on to work with Graham Potter and has been his right hand man during his rise to prominence.  No doubt he'll be joining him when he makes his next move - I doubt Potter will be at Brighton much longer. 

I daresay he'd probably burst out laughing if Aberdeen picked up the phone!

12 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

I said it before, but there are some folk who're seriously deluded about the quality of candidates we could attract! 

Reid had Hamilton Accies finishing 7th in the Premier League at one point and brought through heaps of talented youngsters.... then went on to work with Graham Potter and has been his right hand man during his rise to prominence.  No doubt he'll be joining him when he makes his next move - I doubt Potter will be at Brighton much longer. 

I daresay he'd probably burst out laughing if Aberdeen picked up the phone!

I do agree with your point, SOTR min. 

Whilst Billy Reid was successful to a point at the Accies, had Aberdeen's measure time and time again, and gave James McCarthy and James McArthur their debuts in professional football, it is noticeable that he hasn't progressed as a manager, in his own right, elsewhere, although his partnership with Graham Potter is reaping rewards.

We could do far worse though, however my judgement is probably clouded with his success against Aberdeen during his tenure at Hamilton. His team's 2 wins at Pittodrie (2-1 and 3-1) plus the 2-0 against us in January 2009 down there spring to mind, for starters. 

Stephen Glass has given his thoughts on the Cormack interview - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stephen-glass-dave-cormacks-brilliant-21916723

"I think the good thing for supporters of our club is they saw how passionate the chairman is about the situation at the club, the belief that he's got in the people that he's got in here, including the group of players which is important too."

12 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Stephen Glass has given his thoughts on the Cormack interview - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stephen-glass-dave-cormacks-brilliant-21916723

"I think the good thing for supporters of our club is they saw how passionate the chairman is about the situation at the club, the belief that he's got in the people that he's got in here, including the group of players which is important too."

"There's people that want to push that agenda a little bit quicker, they'd probably rather that we don't get the results so they can be proved right but it's my job and the players and the staff to prove the people right that put us in this position."

Took me a while to fathom out what was meant there

20 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

We have a decent squad and anyone pishing the bed about relegation needs to give themselves a slap.

Decent squad. Really? I think that transfer window was utterly horseshite & the worst of it was the central defenders he’s signed. Followed closely by the shite up front then 3rdly by the abundance of shite signed for midfield.

Midfield signings are only rated better than other areas by numerical advantage & better chance of maybe one of them turning out to be worthwhile.

Anyone Arrogantly/ignorantly in denial of the position the team is in & the potential for that team to collapse further rather than turn it around & easily find themselves in a relegation battle is as delusional as a Hun fan that thinks his club didn’t die.

It’s almost gotten to the stage where some folk (because we now expect not to win v Hibs, arse cheeks & Hearts) that these results will also be excused & Glass will only be judged fairly on the results against the rest & if the shiteness continues v ‘the rest’ then & only then should we start to assess his credentials for the job.

16 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Decent squad. Really? I think that transfer window was utterly horseshite & the worst of it was the central defenders he’s signed. Followed closely by the shite up front then 3rdly by the abundance of shite signed for midfield.

Midfield signings are only rated better than other areas by numerical advantage & better chance of maybe one of them turning out to be worthwhile.

Anyone Arrogantly/ignorantly in denial of the position the team is in & the potential for that team to collapse further rather than turn it around & easily find themselves in a relegation battle is as delusional as a Hun fan that thinks his club didn’t die.

Another worrying thing about the interview was the implication Stephen Glass was not in control of transfers (or at least not full control). 

So the absolute shit show that took place in  the summer is actually woven into the fabric of the club, rather than being a result of having the wrong manager. 

Worrying, worrying times. 

20 hours ago, minijc said:

We were linked with Gallagher well before McInnes was punted, also papers were running with us being in for him before Glass had even been given the job here, use yer heid.

I am past caring who the fk is the one in main control calling the shots on our signings in all honesty.

That last transfer window was an absolute joke from start to finish.

I’m still cringing at remembering Glass’s defiance in backing the job that was done in the window (by whom ever) in saying that if ‘we’ had signed all these players on one day the fans would be amazed & happy’ ?

whether he has 20% or 80% control of signings I don’t know but I don’t think mcinnes had anything close to as bad a single window as that & he signed some amount of shite & spunked wads on them in various windows.

I hate to think what we are spending in wages on Glass’s dozen or so new signings & renewed contracts.

29 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

One of the most worrying thing about Cormacks appearance was the fact that he said he can't understand why we haven't picked up all the points in the last 5 games. 

As for Stephen Glass's comments, people wanting  you to lose is not the problem. You actually losing is the problem. 

The worrying aspect is he said he's met with Glass and Gunn and they still can't understand it.

The stats geeks are now looking further into the dyata than shots at goal and possession and finding we're one of the worst performing teams in the league in attack and defence, the defensive shape is totally fucked and midfield aren't doing very well defending or creating. 

But Cormack and Glass believe they're doing things right, it's individual errors and things are just going to start falling our way. 

16 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Another worrying thing about the interview was the implication Stephen Glass was not in control of transfers (or at least not full control). 

So the absolute shit show that took place in  the summer is actually woven into the fabric of the club, rather than being a result of having the wrong manager. 

Worrying, worrying times. 

It's mental that the acquisition of players be taken out of the manager's hands, to any degree. 

Every manager has a vision of how he wants to play, and the kind of player he wants to bring in to fill each position.

Taking any portion of that role out of the manager's hands is surely degrading his ability to build the team he wants. 

4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

He was absolutely shite. 

Wasn't his nickname Silky?

Can only imagine it was ironic. 

From memory he was a good player pre signing for the Dons but, as you say, more shite than good once a Dons player.

10 minutes ago, huncunts said:

The worrying aspect is he said he's met with Glass and Gunn and they still can't understand it.

The stats geeks are now looking further into the dyata than shots at goal and possession and finding we're one of the worst performing teams in the league in attack and defence, the defensive shape is totally fucked and midfield aren't doing very well defending or creating. 

But Cormack and Glass believe they're doing things right, it's individual errors and things are just going to start falling our way. 

If yer full backs are bombing forward all the opposition require to do is play the ball into the free space and attack from there.

Therefore it is more a tactics issue than individual errors.

If replicated on Saturday Boyle will be a right pain in the arse ......

12 minutes ago, huncunts said:

Like a shit boxer who swings a hundred punches and gets knocked out with an uppercut. 

Stats are going to show he was the one swinging all the punches, so it was surely bad luck he lost.

Five fights in a row. 

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

If yer full backs are bombing forward all the opposition require to do is play the ball into the free space and attack from there.

Therefore it is more a tactics issue than individual errors.

If replicated on Saturday Boyle will be a right pain in the arse ......

Well and truly.

If the lad Bates plays, we are fucked. He is an awful defender. Culpable for at least 6 of our goals conceded in the last 3 matches. 

• Upvote 1