Coronavirus

Henry

10 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Is there actual proof of anyone becoming ill after being fully vaccinated due to one of these mutations? You do come across as a doom merchant in the vast majority of your posts when most are just looking forward to getting back to normal. Most your theories just seem to be over dramatised speculation that’s yet to be proven right. Nae offense like chiel. 

Yes there is plenty proof. I said that in the vast majority of cases, that serious illness doesn't occur though. 

As for speculation.....all I'm speculating about is that I don't think we are finished with lockdowns yet. 

Who would win in a Coronavirus strain battle royal??

The Kent variant;

The Yorkshire-Humber variant;

The Nigerian variant;

The Brazilian variant;

The South African variant, or;

The Indian variant.

Not a betting proposition for me as I only go on past form, evidence, and bona fide fact to make a prediction.

Next there will be variants named after the Don, the Dee, the Deveron, and the Ugie. 

What complete and utter shite we are being fed and subjected to???.

• Dildo 1
7 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I might be wrong here, and maybe this is just my experiences but don't medical folk always look at the worst case scenario?  " Prepare yourself for the worst" and all that ,then two days later the patient is up and about and playing five a sides with his pals?  

Ive often said I could never do the job because Im too optimistic "  Ach , he'll be fine, couple of paracetamol "  next ten minutes multiple organ failure complicated by neck AIDS.   

Ah no.

They absolutely do and for a very good reason. If they don't, and something bad happens, they tend to get their asses sued.

13 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

You ever thought of being a motivational speaker, Moobzo?

This Covid thing chimes with something in a fair percentage of the population, they enjoy it. Being able to moan about others, daft rules to follow/enforce, some people are revelling in it.

The idea it'll all just end in June is fucking ludicrous, especially now that councils have employed people specifically to enforce Covid rules.

Social distancing, masks, limits on households, all here to stay and people will swallow it just to stay "safe"

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1
5 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I did wonder. What about when a family is called in and told "prepare for the worst". Are they genuinely certain the patient is going to die in most cases or is it a case of there's a chance they could die but they'd rather err on the worst case scenario?

Lazarine type recoveries do happen but they are extremely rare. 

The big problem is usually getting the next of kin to accept a terminal diagnosis. A lot of the time, they'll turn round and ask (sometimes demand) that more treatment is carried out. The most common one happens when an old biddy stops eating and drinking. This is called terminal cachexia...it happens in cancer cases,  AIDS,  heart failure to name a few. But now most commonly in end stage dementia. It's a sign that the body knows it's had enough. It's not a particularly pleasant way to die, it tends to be slow although rarely causes much discomfort in itself and if someone is visually wasting away in front of your eyes it must be distressing for the relatives to see.

But they want a drip put up. And often a naso-gastric tube put down to feed them artificially. But at that point you are only delaying the inevitable and actually inserting them is a horrible procedure in itself. The patient is usually confused and might rip them out. But doctors are reluctant to refuse these requests at least initially. Mainly because they want as less hassle for themselves as possible. Point blank refusals would only lead to complaints and maybe threats of legal action. 

Far better to just give the patient sedation to limit their distress. And strong analgesia if needed. Both will hasten the end to an extent but really that's no bad thing.

32 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I did wonder. What about when a family is called in and told "prepare for the worst". Are they genuinely certain the patient is going to die in most cases or is it a case of there's a chance they could die but they'd rather err on the worst case scenario?

That is surely absolute ker-ching if they fuck it up. Mortgages and life insurances get paid out if you get a terminal illness (only seen it in the policy, no evidence whatsoever if this has happened) Plus you could probably sue for mental trauma or some shit.

So you could be laughing if it turns out they fucked it up and it was some Hun who had a horrendous terminal disease. 

Plus your nae away to die which is a boost.

38 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

This Covid thing chimes with something in a fair percentage of the population, they enjoy it. Being able to moan about others, daft rules to follow/enforce, some people are revelling in it.

The idea it'll all just end in June is fucking ludicrous, especially now that councils have employed people specifically to enforce Covid rules.

Social distancing, masks, limits on households, all here to stay and people will swallow it just to stay "safe"

Post of the year from the POTY. End of.

27 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Yeah mostly true except asymptomatic people aren't strictly super spreaders cause generally their viral load is lower than someone who is symptomatic. Some cases of asymptomatic “super spreaders” are specific examples e.g. the cases in South Korea who went to a night club so had close contact with like 30 people and spread it to them. The issue with asymptomatic people is that because they don’t know they are ill they are more likely to have a higher number of contacts.

Presume there is work going on to find out why some people are asymptomatic .

Find out the reason and the problems solved for everybody.

• Dildo 1
32 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Yeah mostly true except asymptomatic people aren't strictly super spreaders cause generally their viral load is lower than someone who is symptomatic. Some cases of asymptomatic “super spreaders” are specific examples e.g. the cases in South Korea who went to a night club so had close contact with like 30 people and spread it to them. The issue with asymptomatic people is that because they don’t know they are ill they are more likely to have a higher number of contacts.

Yep spot on.

The thing is thought there has to be a transition from folk having to ‘obey’ restrictions to folk making their own judgement once those most at risk are fully protected. We can’t be far off reaching that point now, let alone mid-June. Having an effective vaccine is as good as it’s gonna get in terms of supressing covid. Yes, it’ll need to be adapted periodically in the same way as flu is and will likely fall into the same patterns as seasonal flu, with peaks over the winter months and so on.

The point is we have the means to combat the virus so why would we need further lockdowns? Unless a variant manages to completely overwhelm all vaccines landing us back at square one we just need to continue on the path to normality.

The US is on this road now, with the emphasis on those who have had both jabs to think for themselves. Risk assess your own circumstances and make your own calls on when and if you want to carry on with masks and distancing etc.  

• Upvote 1
On 5/23/2021 at 11:20 AM, manboobs109 said:

No chance we're finished with lockdowns. It'll be an annual event. Now that the politicians have the power to do it they'll keep this going.

This is what many of us have said from the start. I would have thought the progressive authoritarianism was a dead giveaway. Contrary to what some continue to insist, this doesn't go away through compliance, it refuses to go away precisely because of compliance. After all, why are we still under such strict regulations when the elderly and vulnerable groups have, for the most part, all been fully "vaccinated"? 

As for the experimental vaccine itself, I'm not touching it with a bargepole. The fact the virus has around a 99.7% survival rate for young and healthy people notwithstanding, I refuse to trust scum like Bill Gates and rogue pharmaceutical companies who have both accumulated billions of dollars in fines and been granted zero liability for what is, lest we forget, an experimental vaccine. We are effectively test subjects here.

13 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

This is what many of us have said from the start. I would have thought the progressive authoritarianism was a dead giveaway. Contrary to what some continue to insist, this doesn't go away through compliance, it refuses to go away precisely because of compliance. After all, why are we still under such strict regulations when the elderly and vulnerable groups have, for the most part, all been fully "vaccinated"? 

As for the experimental vaccine itself, I'm not touching it with a bargepole. The fact the virus has around a 99.7% survival rate for young and healthy people notwithstanding, I refuse to trust scum like Bill Gates and rogue pharmaceutical companies who have both accumulated billions of dollars in fines and been granted zero liability for what is, lest we forget, an experimental vaccine. We are effectively test subjects here.

Think we are going to go down the open up route even though rates are still high in certain areas, the Glasgow issue is forcing their hand. Leitch said the other day they're going to take ICU numbers into consideration when deciding whether to open places up, positive numbers will be less important. Not before time, no point being locked down if the majority of cases are young people.

16 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Think we are going to go down the open up route even though rates are still high in certain areas, the Glasgow issue is forcing their hand. Leitch said the other day they're going to take ICU numbers into consideration when deciding whether to open places up, positive numbers will be less important. Not before time, no point being locked down if the majority of cases are young people.

4 people in icu across the whole country who tested positive in the last 28 days. 

Should make it an easy decision for them you'd think. 

Quite funny listening to sturgeon move the goalposts to suit a certain city, would she do it for Aberdeen? I think we know the answer there. 

I've said all along the decision makers shouldn't be those with a vested interest, should have been in the hands of a committee of experts, medical, financial, scientists. 

3 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Quite funny listening to sturgeon move the goalposts to suit a certain city, would she do it for Aberdeen? I think we know the answer there. 

I've said all along the decision makers shouldn't be those with a vested interest, should have been in the hands of a committee of experts, medical, financial, scientists. 

She was making every excuse under the sun.

Wonder if it was mainly ethnics failing to turn up.

• Dildo 1
4 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Glasgow 7 day average has gone up again from 112 to 137 per 100k.

Yet over 50% failed turn up at the Hydro at the weekend for their vaccine.

Glasgow could be approaching level 4 at this rate.

They'll be level 2 next week, would bet my house on it. Rising numbers don't matter now.

3 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Probably a lot of people who wouldn't be able to understand the letter, literacy levels in Glasgow are very low. I suspect a lot of huns rather than ethnics. 

3 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Holding mass vaccination sessions in single centralised locations was a bad idea. 

I think it's in the Hydro in Glasgow.......just outside the city centre so it's a central location but for old biddies that don't drive or have mobility issues it could be a couple of bus journeys away or a fairly expensive taxi ride if you live on the eastern or southern outskirts especially. (there's a train station right outside too but there are large sections on the north eastern side that aren't anywhere near a station and for those those that are, might  still necessitate a change at Queen Street or Central). 

It wouldn't be too far (a mile or so) for the ethnics main population centre in Pollokshaws/Pollokshields but even so, might still be a factor that puts them off, foreby the cultural misgivings they have about it generally

15 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

That 50% figure is astonishing . Heard that the other day .

My daughter is going to blank the appointment, don't agree with her but can see her point of view. She's already had covid and it wasn't bad, plus her mate was ill in bed for a week after getting her jab.

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Holding mass vaccination sessions in single centralised locations was a bad idea. 

I think it's in the Hydro in Glasgow.......just outside the city centre so it's a central location but for old biddies that don't drive or have mobility issues it could be a couple of bus journeys away or a fairly expensive taxi ride if you live on the eastern or southern outskirts especially. (there's a train station right outside too but there are large sections on the north eastern side that aren't anywhere near a station and for those those that are, might  still necessitate a change at Queen Street or Central). 

It wouldn't be too far (a mile or so) for the ethnics main population centre in Pollokshaws/Pollokshields but even so, might still be a factor that puts them off, foreby the cultural misgivings they have about it generally

If I have a medical appointment and can't or won't manage I have the decency to phone up and cancel.

• Dildo 1