Coronavirus

Henry

1 hour ago, Howard Marks said:

Doctors are exhausted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58501199

I think most people who work full time have periods of exhaustion. The real world ain't all rainbows and butterflies.

If it helps lift the doctors spirits, I'll raise a glass to them this evening at 6pm. I suggest everyone does the same. #thankyounhs 

With all due respect to the NHS and their employees, I am sick to death hearing about how exhausted and overwhelmed they are. If you work for the NHS and vote Conservative, you've only got yourself to blame.

When the NHS was first created by the great Aneurin Bevan in 1948 during Clement Attlee's reign as PM there was over 800,000 beds available to the sick and infirm within our public hospitals. Now there is about 140,000 beds available thanks to successive Tory governments cutting funds apportioned to the NHS, in turn, crippling the service.

Clapping for its workers or feeling sorry for the NHS isn't doing any good whatsoever. Getting rid of this charlatan and fat useless cock of a PM would be a fantastic start though. 

#StayAtHomeProtectTheNHSSaveLives

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

With all due respect to the NHS and their employees, I am sick to death hearing about how exhausted and overwhelmed they are. If you work for the NHS and vote Conservative, you've only got yourself to blame.

When the NHS was first created by the great Aneurin Bevan in 1948 during Clement Attlee's reign as PM there was over 800,000 beds available to the sick and infirm within our public hospitals. Now there is about 140,000 beds available thanks to successive Tory governments cutting funds apportioned to the NHS, in turn, crippling the service.

Clapping for its workers or feeling sorry for the NHS isn't doing any good whatsoever. Getting rid of this charlatan and fat useless cock of a PM would be a fantastic start though. 

Never agreed with one of your posts more, MAD. 

They've just raised NI to give them more funds, what more do people want. The main problem in today's society is the obsession with living as long as possible. So many old folk needing constant care, dementia and Alzheimer rife. Lower the price of fags and booze, let people enjoy themselves, get rid of sugar taxes. Will lead to a lower death age saving the NHS hundreds of Millions.

16 minutes ago, daytripping said:

They've just raised NI to give them more funds, what more do people want. The main problem in today's society is the obsession with living as long as possible. So many old folk needing constant care, dementia and Alzheimer rife. Lower the price of fags and booze, let people enjoy themselves, get rid of sugar taxes. Will lead to a lower death age saving the NHS hundreds of Millions.

Aye, yer right Dayts min in respect of raising NICs to cover the shortfall in NHS funding but yet again the Tories have overturned one of their manifesto pledges. I lost count how much uturns there was under David Cameron, for starters.

The rise in NICs contributions are negligible for the higher earners of our society but it is unnecessarily going to cripple low earners, just because the current and past Tory administrations perennially cut funds of the NHS purely because it was not their innovation. 

Nobody at all is a winner in the NIC hike as it should have been avoided (apart from the government of course) and has only been implemented due to the shambolic apportionment of government funds during the last 18 months. 

Comparing the UK now and the UK of 1948 is a waste of time in my opinion but hard to disagree with your post.  That said the SNP has been in power for 14 years in Scotland and the NHS here is as much of a shambles as it is down South so blaming it solely on one party is a tad short sighted (excuse the pun!).  What's the SNP excuse?

Also Labour had 10 years in power prior to the Conservatives and I cannot remember the NHS being all rosy, fuck they were the ones who helped grow the private healthcare's involvement into the NHS - 

"Tony Blair today welcomed 11 private healthcare providers into the "NHS family", as he promised them the chance to gain a stronger foothold in the NHS.

So many factors play into the health of the nation and the impact it has on the NHS from poverty, education around food and health, living environment etc. and simply chucking huge sums of cash at the NHS does not work and it has to be part of a wider plan of action.

While I am personally happy to pay enhanced NI Contributions for a better NHS however do I have confidence that the NHS authorities will manage the money they receive, do I fuck. The mismanagement of NHS funds is a joke (same for most public backed bodies) and its akin to throwing money into a bottomless pit.

• Upvote 5
5 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Comparing the UK now and the UK of 1948 is a waste of time in my opinion but hard to disagree with your post.  That said the SNP has been in power for 14 years in Scotland and the NHS here is as much of a shambles as it is down South so blaming it solely on one party is a tad short sighted (excuse the pun!).  What's the SNP excuse?

Also Labour had 10 years in power prior to the Conservatives and I cannot remember the NHS being all rosy, fuck they were the ones who helped grow the private healthcare's involvement into the NHS - 

"Tony Blair today welcomed 11 private healthcare providers into the "NHS family", as he promised them the chance to gain a stronger foothold in the NHS.

So many factors play into the health of the nation and the impact it has on the NHS from poverty, education around food and health, living environment etc. and simply chucking huge sums of cash at the NHS does not work and it has to be part of a wider plan of action.

While I am personally happy to pay enhanced NI Contributions for a better NHS however do I have confidence that the NHS authorities will manage the money they receive, do I fuck. The mismanagement of NHS funds is a joke (same for most public backed bodies) and its akin to throwing money into a bottomless pit.

Will be thousands of NHS managers on 6 figure salaries, the money will have no impact on point of care. My local doctor is shut this week due to a lack of doctors, people will just use A & E instead, we need to be importing cheap staff, get some African and Asians in on ten bob a week. The local one's are all too expensive.

• Site Sponsor
13 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

+1

4 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

It's an excellent case you put forward, FFS min. 

Whilst I thought Tony Blair was a fantastic PM, he did have his quirks. The continuation of creating NHS and private health care trusts being one that, although stabilising and improving our public health care system, changed the dynamics of our public health service from its original intention and foundation. 

Like you quite rightly say, throwing money at the NHS isn't the answer, although providing the funding it requires and for it to be apportioned and managed is.

The powers-that-be of the NHS are culpable in their administration and handling of funds without a shadow of a doubt, however I primarily blame how the current and previous Tory governments have crucified the NHS and those that are reliant on it to exist and survive.  

21 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Who more likely than not will have private health care and a better standard of living meaning they probably use the NHS less.

Correct. Many workers, including my good brother, have got health care insurance that they pay for via their salary which allow them, quite rightly, to access medical care normally more quickly than on the NHS.

The Albyn was excellent to my brother.

18 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Will be thousands of NHS managers on 6 figure salaries, the money will have no impact on point of care. My local doctor is shut this week due to a lack of doctors, people will just use A & E instead, we need to be importing cheap staff, get some African and Asians in on ten bob a week. The local one's are all too expensive.

NHS are advertising for 42 regional chief executives on an average of £233k a year.

Also advertising for Diversity managers on nearly 100k a year.

38 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Less public spending in England = less "block grant" to the Scottish government for public spending here. No? 

None the less, last time I looked in to it (pre-Covid, so may have changed), the NHS up here was outperforming that down south in terms of waiting times for appointments/surgeries/etc as well as shorter waits at A&E's. 

16 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Correct. Many workers, including my good brother, have got health care insurance that they pay for via their salary which allow them, quite rightly, to access medical care normally more quickly than on the NHS.

The Albyn was excellent to my brother.

How do you correlate espousing Labour-values with saying that people with greater finance can "quite rightly" access better health care than people who can't afford it. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Less public spending in England = less "block grant" to the Scottish government for public spending here. No? 

SNP have tax raising powers so why not use these specifically to ring fence money for the NHS? We already have different tax levels at both the bottom and top of the scale in Scotland compared to the rest of the UK so why not extend these?

26 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

NHS are advertising for 42 regional chief executives on an average of £233k a year.

Also advertising for Diversity managers on nearly 100k a year.

No issues with paying an NHS regional Chief Executive that range of salary given the amount of staff, budget and critical services that they will be responsible for. NHS Grampian alone has over 13,000 staff and an annual budget of 1 billion. In order to attract the right calibre of candidate they need to be paying a competitive package. Whether or not they are looking at the right candidates or simply promoting some crony from within who has the same values, attitudes and approach as their predecessor is another matter altogether.

26 minutes ago, Parklife said:

None the less, last time I looked in to it (pre-Covid, so may have changed), the NHS up here was outperforming that down south in terms of waiting times for appointments/surgeries/etc as well as shorter waits at A&E's. 

How do you correlate espousing Labour-values with saying that people with greater finance can "quite rightly" access better health care than people who can't afford it. 

Working class people, like my brother, depending on their employer, of course, can enrol on a private healthcare scheme via their work and salary contributions.

I said "quite rightly" as they have paid for the right to access private (I never said or inferred better) healthcare through graft and a willingness to provide a dividend for it via their earnings, the latter epitomising Labour values.

Just now, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

That's quite alright. 

I'm a big boy.  I dish it out so I can jolly well take some back.

Best thing about male friendships - ripping the pish. 

I was in a Whatsapp group with a bunch of guys, called - Exercise.  It was for fitness and stuff.  Dude I went to school with, who is a bit of a fat cunt said - if you wanna build muscle you have to eat 5 meals a day and train for hours.  So I, rather wittily, I thought, said - your happy to eat the 5 meals a day, you just don't want to train.....   The cunt left the group that he started and has now blocked me...

Blouse.  Everyone else agreed.  

I worked with a fat cunt from Dundee who drank pre workout shakes throughout the day in between protein shakes along with his usual meals but never went to the gym. 

He got binned last year cause he failed his medical. 

Subaru driver..... In his 40s.

10 minutes ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

That's quite alright. 

I'm a big boy.  I dish it out so I can jolly well take some back.

Best thing about male friendships - ripping the pish. 

I was in a Whatsapp group with a bunch of guys, called - Exercise.  It was for fitness and stuff.  Dude I went to school with, who is a bit of a fat cunt said - if you wanna build muscle you have to eat 5 meals a day and train for hours.  So I, rather wittily, I thought, said - you're happy to eat the 5 meals a day, you just don't want to train.....   The cunt left the group that he started and has now blocked me...

Blouse.  Everyone else agreed.  

Pretty gay post if i'm being honest, group chat with guys about exercise. We're in different universes, that's surely not normal.