Coronavirus

Henry

20 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It was 1982 when I got what was called the "booster" vaccination (the older form of the MMR jab?) back then. My only recollection of the appointment was getting sugar cubes to eat to neutralise some other medicine given to me orally (polio vaccine drops?).

I was led to believe it was a MMR jab but now stand corrected.

I got mumps and measles when I was about 5 years old, followed by a lovely, vivid dose of German measles when I was 6 years old. My 3rd and final dose of chicken pox swiftly followed in new year '85 (My old lady had shingles at the same time so this might have been a contributing factor, who knows?).

Chicken pox and shingles come from the same family (vzf), so possible, to get shingles you have had to have got chicken pox at some stage of your life, German measles are from a different strain (rubeola virus) 

24 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It was 1982 when I got what was called the "booster" vaccination (the older form of the MMR jab?) back then. My only recollection of the appointment was getting sugar cubes to eat to neutralise some other medicine given to me orally (polio vaccine drops?).

I was led to believe it was a MMR jab but now stand corrected.

I got mumps and measles when I was about 5 years old, followed by a lovely, vivid dose of German measles when I was 6 years old. My 3rd and final dose of chicken pox swiftly followed in new year '85 (My old lady had shingles at the same time so this might have been a contributing factor, who knows?).

There were single vaccines available for measles and mumps and rubella from the early to late 1960s....but these were only given to children classed as very high risk of suffering complications if they contracted one of these diseases. They weren't routinely given to the general population.

When they became a combined single dose vaccine in 1988 the government decided it would then be a good idea to introduce it as a routine part of the child inoculation programme with the aim of achieving herd immunity ( that wonderful phrase that the general population only found out about around 18 months ago and now thinks it is expert on lol) which would virtually eliminate all 3 diseases from the UK within a generation. Even with the mumps protection after a double dose only being around 88%, so long as minimum numbers of 85% of available recipients take the vaccine, this will be achieved.

And yes, shingles is caused by the same virus as chickenpox (varicella zoster)

The vaccine you got alongside the polio sugar lump I think would be the Diphtheria/tetanus vaccine. Nowadays this is a combined 4-in-1 injection, they put polio into it and added whooping cough as well

I’ve had shingles when in my 20’s - it was painful as fuck as I recall.

I’m not sure how prevalent chicken pox is these days compared to when I was younger, but I do recall chicken pox parties being a thing. We’ve recently had the kids vaccinated against chicken pox as it’s a bastard to get when they are older and the opportunities to get it as a child don’t seem to be there!

15 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I’m not sure how prevalent chicken pox is these days compared to when I was younger, but I do recall chicken pox parties being a thing. We’ve recently had the kids vaccinated against chicken pox as it’s a bastard to get when they are older and the opportunities to get it as a child don’t seem to be there!

I had chicken pox as an adult.

And wished i was deed at the time.

Not nice.

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There were single vaccines available for measles and mumps and rubella from the early to late 1960s....but these were only given to children classed as very high risk of suffering complications if they contracted one of these diseases. They weren't routinely given to the general population.

When they became a combined single dose vaccine in 1988 the government decided it would then be a good idea to introduce it as a routine part of the child inoculation programme with the aim of achieving herd immunity ( that wonderful phrase that the general population only found out about around 18 months ago and now thinks it is expert on lol) which would virtually eliminate all 3 diseases from the UK within a generation. Even with the mumps protection after a double dose only being around 88%, so long as minimum numbers of 85% of available recipients take the vaccine, this will be achieved.

And yes, shingles is caused by the same virus as chickenpox (varicella zoster)

The vaccine you got alongside the polio sugar lump I think would be the Diphtheria/tetanus vaccine. Nowadays this is a combined 4-in-1 injection, they put polio into it and added whooping cough as well

That makes sense noo min. Like I said, I was always led to believe the vaccination I got at 4 years old was for protection against contracting mumps, measles, and rubella, coupled with the oral medicine given at the time was to mitigate the chances of catching polio. 

No reference of it being a diphtheria/tetanus vaccine has ever been made at all until today. 

In my naivety, I only thought you received a tetanus jab if you had been bitten or been injected/stabbed. Never knew it was procedural.

12 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

There is a chickenpox vaccine available but isn't on the routine childhood vaccination programme. I have no idea why not but it is given to children who would be at severe risk of chickenpox and its effects (so kids with leukaemia, inmmunouppression etc). 

Gives around 90% protection after double vaccination

Big drop in positive cases. Peak omicron looks to have been first week in January. 

All the measures that were introduced for omicron being lifted - requirement for 1 metre distancing in indoor public places, table service in pubs and nightclubs being closed. All scrapped as of Monday. 

That also applies to indoor sport and also guidance on 3 household limit on indoor gatherings. 

• Upvote 2

To maintain this we should all still be cautious. Do lft's etc. 

continuing to ask people to work from home and maybe see a more hybrid approach at start of Feb. 

face coverings still to be worn on public transport and indoor settings. 

hospitality should still collect customer details. 

vaccine status checks still for indoor and outdoor events. 

16 minutes ago, The Buzzard said:

Big drop in positive cases. Peak omicron looks to have been first week in January. 

All the measures that were introduced for omicron being lifted - requirement for 1 metre distancing in indoor public places, table service in pubs and nightclubs being closed. All scrapped as of Monday. 

That also applies to indoor sport and also guidance on 3 household limit on indoor gatherings. 

Blowing the dentists predictions out of the water. What a fucking tube he is.